Sea Eagles still haunted by shock loss after 40 years

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Brissie Kid

Bencher
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/sea-eagles-still-haunted-by-shock-loss-after-40-years/story-fngr8iii-1227015567471

Sea Eagles still haunted by shock loss after 40 years

Jon Geddes
Manly Daily
August 06, 2014 4:33PM

566644-3e52cb38-1c6e-11e4-97e4-49dec5cd946f.jpg
Sea Eagles star Malcolm Reilly playing against Western Division

TOMORROW marks the 40th anniversary of the game that got away from the Sea Eagles and probably cost the club another championship title.

It was a bitterly cold day on August 7 1974 when Manly flew to Orange to play the NSW Country outfit Western Division in the semi-final of the midweek Amco Cup.

And to this day a mystery surrounds the Manly side that took the field for the game.

They were missing stars Bob Fulton, Ray Branighan, Terry Randall, Ian Martin and John O’Neill who were all key members of the Manly side that defeated Cronulla in the brutal 1973 grand final.

But there have always been questions as to whether Manly had taken their opponents too easily and if all the players really were injured.

When the scores were locked at 12-all at fulltime Western Division proceeded to the final on a penalty countback.

565943-b3fc1704-1c6e-11e4-97e4-49dec5cd946f.jpg
Manly fullback Graham Eadie leaves the field injured.

The underdogs became part of rugby league folklore when they defeated Penrith 6-2 in the final.

The drama surrounding the shock exit of the defending titleholders Manly from the Amco Cup is detailed in the new book The Night The Music Died (Stoke Hill Press) by renowned writer Ian Heads that plots Western Division’s triumph.

It was the last year of black and white television and the Channel Ten commentary team was Kerry Buckeridge and a rising talent named Ray Warren.

Despite the absent players Heads said Manly still fielded an impressive outfit at Wade Park that included six current or past internationals, two future Test stars and two more who had represented NSW.

Heads wrote all eyes were on English international Malcolm Reilly, who was making his comeback after serving a four-game suspension for belting Australian Test halfback Tom Raudonikis in a spiteful game against Western Suburbs at Lidcombe Oval.

And that Amco Cup game was also Reilly’s return from a two-ban after and Penrith’s Test forward Bill Ashurst were both sent off for headbutting in a match at Brookvale.

“The game blossomed into a cracker, with Western Division on the back foot almost to the last breath,” Heads wrote.

566724-62fe1488-1c6e-11e4-97e4-49dec5cd946f.jpg
Manly hooker Fred Jones gets the ball away to Phil Lowe.

With the scores locked at 12-all right on fulltime Mark Willoughy, a late replacement in the Manly side, had the chance to snatch victory with a penalty attempt from wide out right on fulltime.

When Willoughby was about to move in for the kick the crowd invaded the sideline, booing the referee and the Manly players and missed the goal after the ball came off the side of his boot.

As Western Division conceded 10 penalties to Manly’s 11, they were declared winners.

Peter Peters, who was in the Manly pack for that game, has helped clear up the unanswered question from the game.

“I think all these years later we can say we took them a little bit easy,” he said.

“When we got to the ground we got changed on chicken sheds and I’ve never been so cold in all my life.

“And when we got on the field all these big farmers just belted us.”

Anyone know much about the Amco Cup in 1970s. Way before my time. Was this game on tv in Sydney?

Ray Warren use to call it on the TV with Keith Barnes from what I recall. It was exciting times here in Junee because Ray had cracked the big time.

It was a great comp, but hard on the players, playing Sunday, Wednesday Sunday.

I don't recall (I was 7yr old in '74).

But I grew up in Orange, played at Wade Park a few times, and can strongly confirm how cold she gets up there.

Don't remember Manly coming to town or the Amco Cup until the late '70's mate.

Amco Cup from Memory was Wednesday nights, I remember going to Leichhardt Oval back in the 70's to watch it.

Manly never won it :(

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/teams/manly-warringah-sea-eagles/comps.html

Wish Fox sports would show some of those Manly games like this Western Division one.

HappilyManly said:
Amco Cup from Memory was Wednesday nights, I remember going to Leichhardt Oval back in the 70's to watch it.

Manly never won it :(

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/teams/manly-warringah-sea-eagles/comps.html

So what was the KB Cup? That links says Manly won 1982 and 1983.

Edit: just found one of them on youtube. [video=youtube]http://youtu.be/OmX7BCB8zqw[/video]

Great times am a orange local myself, there is alot of very underated talent out this way.
What if we played a mid week cup over origin, close comp down for 5 weeks have best sides in bush, nz and say png/fiji.

Pleeeeeease. "HAUNTED BY IT" Can we leave those sort of references for loser clubs like Souffs,Sharks,Parra,Cowgirls. The only thing I'm haunted by is Hayne's daylight robbery in last years GF and exacting revenge this year.

Actually I'm pretty sure it's the main driving force for the boys to win it this year. "Remember the '74 Amco Cup semi final" is a constant catchcry.

winnyason said:
Great times am a orange local myself, there is alot of very underated talent out this way.
What if we played a mid week cup over origin, close comp down for 5 weeks have best sides in bush, nz and say png/fiji.
The mid week comp was a great idea, they should revive it. Of course these days all the players would complain about how they were tired out from playing so many games, bunch of fairies...

mike walker said:
north coast eagle said:
Mid week muck around - no one gave a toss then let alone now.

G'day all,Not if you're a sharkies supporter!
cheers mike

I was recently driving in Caringbah and saw a tradies ute with a special NSW RTA Sharks numberplate that had as the rego number "79 AMCO". I guess if that is all you can celebrate...

Amco Cup. KB Cup. National Panosonic Cup. Tooth Cup. They were all the same midweek competition, just with a different sponsor.

Jerry1 said:
Jeez - anything else the archiologists can dig up :)

"Archiologists" collect comic books and have weird fetishes for Betty and Veronica, Jerry!

Archeologists do the digging (and are in fact scouring and excavating far and wide in the west, in desperate search of the Tigpies backbone, mate!)

Remember it well, the caller at the time was Kerry Buckeridge, can't remember how long he did it for, but he turned up blind on Wednesday night to call the game and they rushed Ray Warren into the job from greyhound racing.
But in the first years especially with the country sides. the city boys couldn't give a toss.

This reminds me of an episode of Ripping Yarns: :)
"Barnstoneworth ! Barnstoneworth ! " Post loss property destruction: The wife hides everything valuable and has to run around the house catching the vases.

mickqld said:
Pleeeeeease. "HAUNTED BY IT" Can we leave those sort of references for loser clubs like Souffs,Sharks,Parra,Cowgirls. The only thing I'm haunted by is Hayne's daylight robbery in last years GF and exacting revenge this year.

Actually I'm pretty sure it's the main driving force for the boys to win it this year. "Remember the '74 Amco Cup semi final" is a constant catchcry.

Ask the current crop of players anything about the Amco Cup and they'd look at you as if you had three heads!

Tooves MAY remember some of the old-timers talking about it when he was playing.

As high school kids, we used to play the Wayne-co Cup in an all-in tackle on Friday afternoons. Why Wayne? It was his backyard!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6