Sea Eagles to step up security in light of possible terrorist threat

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyArmy

Bencher
A SENIOR Manly official has undertaken counter-terrorism courses as rugby league moves into a murky and uncomfortable era of increased security.

And The Daily Telegraph understands rivals NRL clubs are also looking at employing a global sport security firm based in Qatar.

The fear of a possible terrorist attack at rugby league matches heightened after a suicide bomber blew himself up outside Paris’ Stade Francais nearly a fortnight ago.

Sea Eagles football manager Charlie Haggett, a former police superintendent, has written a detailed player safety and security paper, which covers counter terrorism along with lower-scale dramas including drink spiking, fan misbehaviour and issuing players personal safety guidelines.

More at: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...fnp0lyn3-1227622888976?utm_content=SocialFlow

Sad that as a society we cannot go to the footy without the risk of being targeted like this, albeit a small risk in reality..

It could be just a matter of time in Australia before spectators are body searched before entering sports stadiums.

Gallop named the Terrorists as the Scumo Supporters years ago :eek:

The reality of the 21st Century is that civilian gatherings are the easiest marks :confused:

At least we've got the Daily Terrorgraph to warn us of the danger. I'm not going to lose too much sleep over terrorists targeting Brookvale Oval.

• 😆
Reactions: Rex
Yes, not sure that Haggett has any C-T background. Wasn't he based in the Hunter region for many years?

Let me guess, ZtH contacted the Bellylaugh with this massive scoop. Wow!

Nice one Tele - just what the bad guys want ..... panic!!!!

Yeah because there have never been any recent issues in Lebanon...
Completely different scenarios and irrelevant comparison. In Lebanon muslims and christians dont sit side by side as they do at Doggies home games - they dont get along well for the most part and their civil war is about religious belief squabble. The radicals would be blowing up many of their own here. Not gonna happen

It is sad that we have to live in fear instead of following the sport that we love. However, I guess we need to do what is necessary :(

Completely different scenarios and irrelevant comparison. In Lebanon muslims and christians dont sit side by side as they do at Doggies home games - they dont get along well for the most part and their civil war is about religious belief squabble. The radicals would be blowing up many of their own here. Not gonna happen
Let's be realistic chances of it happening here are minimal at best - it sounded like lazy stereotypes to me when you say the dogs would be fine compared to other supporters

Yeah its minimal chance here. Lazy, no. Stereotyping, yes a bit of that but its fair, valid and frankly, a deserving stereotype of the Dogs. Nothing wrong with laying down a stereotype if its valid and applicable to the subject. If its not warranted i wouldnt have mentioned it. The PC brigade are the only ones who get their knickers in a knot with that stuff. But im glad we got that out of the way

They blow up more of their own than they do of the so called "Infidels"

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4