Seaeagles salary cap

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Some teams seem to have an endless pit when it comes to approaching every star player or potential junior who become available, or even if they are under contract....
Has Manly got anything to spend??
Are these unhappy players here again??
If there were 1-3 players suddenly pack up & go is there any decent players left available as reasonable replacements??
Tbh I am happy to simply retain the players available, so long as they can bind & regroup to bring back that winning culture obviously missing in 2014.
In a perfect world would love to add a Matt Scott/Hargreaves to the squad but proud to say we follow a team that follows the rules.

Off this years salary cap, we have lost:

1. Richie Fa'aoso
2. David Williams
3. Jason King
4. Glenn Stewart
5. Daniel Harrison
6. Anthony Watmough (probably)

The caps going up

And we have only acquired reserve grade depth (and probably lost exactly the same).

Surely theres some breathing room ?

Ryan said:

1. Richie Fa'aoso
2. David Williams
3. Jason King
4. Glenn Stewart
5. Daniel Harrison

The caps going up

And we have only acquired reserve grade depth (and probably lost exactly the same).

Totally agree Ryan. I believe we'll make a couple of sneaky signings before next season.

Ryan said:

1. Richie Fa'aoso
2. David Williams
3. Jason King
4. Glenn Stewart
5. Daniel Harrison

The caps going up

@Ryan I think you are surely right BUT imagine they are keeping a war chest to retain 6 & 7 and build from cheapies around them.

Blake Leary for example, looks to be a great prospect, and would not be on big money at all.

Id be happy with that mate. It's worked well for Melbourne BUT they have to want to be here, and not create drama and yeah, im pointing straight at Keiran Foran, one of the biggest disruptive players.

For him to say, some days I wake up and want to leave is a slap in the face to fans, members, sponsors, management, ownership and all stakeholders.

Disgusting mindset.

Mark from Brisbane said:
Ryan said:

1. Richie Fa'aoso
2. David Williams
3. Jason King
4. Glenn Stewart
5. Daniel Harrison

The caps going up

@Ryan I think you are surely right BUT imagine they are keeping a war chest to retain 6 & 7 and build from cheapies around them.

I hope they don't expect to win anything this way. We will end up like the cowboys or Parramatta, relying on just 1 or 2 players every week. But with the way the club is run lately, it doesn't surprise me.

Ryan said:
Id be happy with that mate. It's worked well for Melbourne.

I imagine the recruitment team would have their eyes well and truly focussed on 2016-17.

Remember in 2004-5-6-7 we added the three players in key positions we needed most, a quality forward (Kite), a quality centre (Lyon) and a quality half (Orford)...those three were instrumental during our resurgence.

Noel Cleal (who is a childhood friend of mine from Moree / Warialda days ,although haven't spoken to him since 2011 GF) said to me when we were watching the Moree Boars play the Wee Waa Panthers in the GF when Jamie was playing for them, that Manly was building a team to win a Grand Final and it would take 5 years.

I think that was 2003 or 2004 (I still lived in Moree then), so he was spot on.

So I think the recruitment and retention team will have 2016-7 on the radar and you'll probably see a big name or two signed on during that time (as our galaxy of stars retire or move on).

The simple thing with footy is a run of major success cannot continue on a permanent basis, we have been exceptionally lucky to see our team in 4 Grand Finals in less than 10 years.

Just look at the Roosters for example, down the bottom, then up at the top, then a GF victory, then falter next year AND my prediction is that they will not go anywhere near as well in 2015.

Its just the way the salary cap is supposed to work, even if some teams seem to have a higher cap than others!!

Ryan said:

1. Richie Fa'aoso
2. David Williams
3. Jason King
4. Glenn Stewart
5. Daniel Harrison

The caps going up

David Williams still has a year remaining on his contract.

bones said:
Ryan said:

1. Richie Fa'aoso
2. David Williams
3. Jason King
4. Glenn Stewart
5. Daniel Harrison

The caps going up

Oh. Fir.some reason, I thought he was retiring or something?

bones said:
Ryan said:

1. Richie Fa'aoso
2. David Williams
3. Jason King
4. Glenn Stewart
5. Daniel Harrison

The caps going up

That's disappointing

Were also freeing up money for DCE and foz.

Lets face it tp keep them both is not going to be cheap.

Mark from Brisbane said:
Ryan said:
Id be happy with that mate. It's worked well for Melbourne.

I imagine the recruitment team would have their eyes well and truly focussed on 2016-17.

Remember in 2004-5-6-7 we added the three players in key positions we needed most, a quality forward (Kite), a quality centre (Lyon) and a quality half (Orford)...those three were instrumental during our resurgence.

Noel Cleal (who is a childhood friend of mine from Moree / Warialda days ,although haven't spoken to him since 2011 GF) said to me when we were watching the Moree Boars play the Wee Waa Panthers in the GF when Jamie was playing for them, that Manly was building a team to win a Grand Final and it would take 5 years.

I think that was 2003 or 2004 (I still lived in Moree then), so he was spot on.

So I think the recruitment and retention team will have 2016-7 on the radar and you'll probably see a big name or two signed on during that time (as our galaxy of stars retire or move on).

The simple thing with footy is a run of major success cannot continue on a permanent basis, we have been exceptionally lucky to see our team in 4 Grand Finals in less than 10 years.

Just look at the Roosters for example, down the bottom, then up at the top, then a GF victory, then falter next year AND my prediction is that they will not go anywhere near as well in 2015.

Its just the way the salary cap is supposed to work, even if some teams seem to have a higher cap than others!!

Best to have a mass rebuild after the housing market crash should help to attract players to the area wink wink.(2016 sounds about right to me)

Eagles2nv said:

Means nothing if we don't have good forwards?
Crap halves with a strong pack is better than good halves with a crap pack.
That's why the bulldogs are in the grand final and we aren't. But Manly want to shaft all their decent forwards.

bones said:
Eagles2nv said:

That's why the bulldogs are in the grand final and we aren't. But Manly want to shaft all their decent forwards.

Say's it all really.

bones said:
Eagles2nv said:

Depends what you define as crap forwards.

A well structured team with average forwards and good halves/backline can do well also as Melb have shown in the past.

But more often than not a lack of straight running punch and aggression makes it harder-----take it this way I would rather a pack full of Matai's than the forward mix we had this year.

It is not always about the size but running with intent and keeping it square but size explosiveness and mobility always helps.

I think you'll see a few bigger name signings in the next few years , after all it's been a long time since we have had one.

All part of the necessary rebuild .

A rebuild would probably involve tying up a few top current players, buying a few mid-tier or up-and-coming types and seeing which of them kick on, then for the following year try to add one or two marquee types where we are weakest, depending who has kicked on.

I think we have to either blood some new guys in 2015, or at the very least let them know that they are a big part of the future.

When offers come in from rival clubs and they see an opportunity to make first grade, they're going to be very tempted to go if they don't know NRL is on the cards in the near future.

Whare springs to mind but it's a different situation in that Killer and Matai were a long way off retirement when he was snared by the Riff. You couldn't blame the guy for going and good to see he's going so well.

Hopefully, the only reason Jake T didn't see NRL this year was his injury. He has first grade written all over him and has to be very close to ready.

I agree with the sentiment that retention of DCE and Foz is priority number one. Class players in these key positions are not common. They both deserve full pay packets. There's an absolute chasm between these guys and players like JLJ.

Oh well. Time will tell. I have faith in the recruitment guys.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4