Season Over For Gifty

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Supesy

Sadly looks like the season is over for Gifty.

According to Brent Read (The Australian) he's booked in for more ankle surgery today.

Very sad news for Manly. The bloke deserved better.

Part of me just hopes the news by some chance is totally wrong but Brent Read is usually spot on when it comes to Manly news.

It's going to be very hard for him to be watching the game on Sunday considering the situation and where the team is placed.

Really ?? That's bloody bad luck for Gifty and a really crap way to finish his time with us. Was hoping he could get at least one more game to go out on top.

Maybe Souths might get cold feet if they think they are buying a crock, and now with Kingy retiring there might be some $$$ around .....maybe ??? just wondering.

Thats just rotten luck for Gifty.

I will always remember they joy that he and his brother have given the fans over the years.

The day he stood up to the drizzle dirty tactics and they day that he stood on the podium with the Clive Churchill medal.

What a Manly legend and lets hope that he comes back to the club when hes finished in some sort of coaching capacity.

A real blow.
Among his many highlights was when he returned from the Battle of Brookvale to the
'11 GF when he grubbered ahead in his own quarter, which led to a DCE try, & finished with the CC medal.
They were good days.

If true, I trust he will be allowed to walk around Brookie, or at least be interviewed, prior to the match so that we can all stand and cheer him.

Very disappointing. A Manly great certainly and someone who has conducted himself in exemplary fashion publicly amid all the fallout of his leaving. Besides his ball playing abilities it is a shame we won't see any more of his old school uncompromising defence in our colours again.

Brent Read is reporting on twitter that Gifty is having further surgery today. Season officially over. #tragic

Hopefully he can hobble around Brookie on Sunday, or maybe Kingdog can piggyback him.

FMD. From bad to worse. I was gutted when we let him go. More so than any other player we have lost. I still am.

This is proof there is no God.

Might be a very emotional occasion at Brookie. I expect a very strong showing by the team.

That just sux, blows and everything else shty. Was hoping to see him go out in a blaze of glory not a miserable exit like this. Good luck Gifty you are a Sea Eagle legend and always will be.

While I feel very sorry for Gifty and us fans, I just can't help feeling a little angry as well. This just seems like a stuff-up from start to finish.
From memory, he injured it against Canberra, came off, and was then allowed to go back on - stuff up no. 1
Next he starts running on it too early and re-injures it. If this was done under medical advice, then that's stuff-up no. 2
Now he needs more surgery. Is this because again, he was running too early, or the previous surgery didn't do the job. Either way, to my mind its another error.
This now means that one of our favourite sons hobbles off to another club without the opportunity to farwell the fans after playing his last game with us.
And of course, ironically, if this surgery works, then Souths get a refreshed Glen Sewart with probably a point to prove. Just great.

Shame if true that he's played his last game.

He should retire from footy! (but that's more of an anti souffs mentality from me)

Is it horrible to hope that Gift won't be able to play again. And the insurance company pays out the final couple of years of his Souths contract. And he never pulls on a Souths jersey and becomes a 1 club player. So he is forced to retire as a one club legend and the boys wont be so annoyed because he wont have to leave we can give him a coaching role so he is still part of the system. I would love him to be the new runner!

I hope this is no misinterpreted but I'm not as disappointed as I should be. He has been an absolute champion for the Club. He has performed well above his nature ability, the nickname says it all. What my concern was that he was going to come back and try to regain his normal playing standard and as we envisage this was going to be a month +. It was going to be a gamble to play him at some stages. This would cause more friction. We now know we have to play without him. There will be no quandary in this regard. His vision for us will not be tarnished (if it going to be). We received the Gift and benefitted us as supporters far more then he was ever paid.

Gutted Gift won't play again this year

I hope the club have something special in mind for him on Sunday. The only positive I can gather from the confirmation that he needs another ankle surgery today is that all us fans won't be asking when is he back.
PS Damus Lui expected to be availble next week.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4