Sexy T-shirts encourage rape - MP

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
A POLITICIAN has controversially slammed "provocative" T-shirts worn by women - saying they encourage sex attacks.

Independent MP Bob Such has also accused the women who wear them of demeaning their sex.

The South Australian pollie and former Speaker of the SA Parliament yesterday said some clothing could lead to men losing respect for women.

"I am not one to say that it in any way justifies a sexual assault, because it does not, but I see women getting around in T-shirts saying "Give me a few more drinks and I will do this or that" and displaying comments drawing attention to their breasts and so on," he said.

"People may say these are flippant comments but they do not help in trying to impress on young men a respect for women. Some of these women do not help, they actually demean women overall."

Pat Mickan, who was yesterday appointed the new chair of the SA's Premier's Council for Women, said everyone had the right to be safe, regardless of how they dressed.

"There is never a case for a man to assault or rape a woman at any time, there is never any justification for that, regardless of the way in which she is dressed," she said.

During his speech Mr Such also questioned how someone could be charged with rape if consent was withdrawn "part way through intercourse".

"I am aware in Western Australia men have been convicted of rape on the basis that they were part way through sexual intercourse and did not stop.

"I am interested in the Attorney's justification for that.

"I think that the everday person - male or female, and I have spoken to men and women about this - finds it hard to understand how, if intercourse is underway someone can say "stop the world I want you to get off" and how that is really a reasonable action that could result in someone being charged with rape."

Dr Such described the Bill, which deals with the definition of sexual consent, as a "step in the right direction" towards offering more protection for women but said parents should take more responsibility for ensuring their sons respect women.

Earlier, as Dr Such had been making his comments in Parliament, Ms Mickan said the council hoped to see a speedy passage of the new rape and sexual assault laws.

The Council will ask the Government to accelerate its reform of domestic violence laws, designed to better protect victims and their children.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6