Shades of the 80s

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
I watched a fair bit of it yesterday and I can't remember an Australian side playing like that since the mid 80s.  It had that same feel - 5-6 genuinely good players that deserve to be there propping up 5-6 blokes who are reasonable Shiled players but don't deserve to be at Test level.

I reckon this series is already gone, the only consolation is the Indians are about to have the heart ripped out of their batting line-up too.

The Black caps are not much of a challenge so I'd expect the Aussies will take that series, but if their current form continues the series against the Saffas is going to be competitive.  (For the record I support Australia over the boers in cricket.  Didn't play the game much over there so have no great emotional attachment to the Proteas). 

The problem is heightened by the fact that 2 of the key players in Hayden and Lee are not doing their jobs. and Clarke with the bat to a lesser degree.

this series was always going to be difficult, especially with the elder Indian bats you touched on wanting a last hurrah.

Test cricket is in a lot of trouble in the next few years

I would suggest Lee has returned to his true form of flat-track bully.  He's only had one decent (Indian) Summer to justify all the hype.  Siddle looks reasonable, might be time to put a broom through the bowling ranks too. 

Its the broom that has been put through the bowling ranks that is the problem, do the names McGrath, Kasprowicz, Gillespie and the irreplaceable Warne ring any bells?

Lee will come good, his life outside the game is falling to bits and that can be hard for anyone to deal with.

Agreed that Siddle looks a likely prospect, hopefully he comes on better than Hilfenhaus

Less is 32, has always relied on pace to blast out tail enders to boost his figures.  He is goooooooone.  McDermott he ain't (though hopefully he's a bit smarter in the investment stakes).

I'm certainly not Lee's biggest fan but McDermott was pure garbage, conveniently breaking down and going missing when up against it. over rated rubbish he was.

McDermott is a long way from being our best fast bowler but he did have to bowl against much better opposition than Lee and could at least get top of the order wickets.  But the bowler with heart in those days was big Merv.

Interesting to see Ponting giving Lee the flick over night.

yeah by bowling full bungers at Richie Richardsons head....

that was Reminiscent of Border and McDermotts little tiff back in the day :)

If i was picking the team today - i'd go with:

1. M.Hussey
2. S.Katich
3. R.Ponting
4. M.Clarke
5. D.Hussey
6. A.Symonds
7. B.Haddin
8. B.Lee
9. B.Hilfenhaus
10. S.Clark
11. D.Bollinger

without injuries, I wold like to see

Jaques
Katich
Ponting
M Hussey
M Clarke
D Hussey
B Haddin
B Lee
M Johnson
S Clark
B McGain

What about Hodge.

McGain is out for 6 months and at his aged you'd have to think it's over for him.  I wonder if McGill could be lured out of retirement?

I have never rated Hodge - I would prefer to go with D Hussey who is on the rise. 

Didn't know McGain was out for six months.  Can someone please send Warney a text and ask him to come back?

I'm scratching my head with White in the side when they need to take 20 wickets, no good having a long batting order if you can't bowl them out.

That's just one of the problems.

The Gronk link said:
Can someone please send Warney a text and ask him to come back?
  I reckon he has to be making plans for the Ashes - though you'd think he'd need to play the Aussie summer for match fitness.

There aren't any stand out spinners, but they could at least give one of them a decent run to prove they are crap, everyone knew White was a horrible bowler already.

yeah just pick someone who can turn it. 

At least then they might occasionally bowl a threatening delivery. 

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6