Shane Neumann Signs for 3 years

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
Joe Barton

6 February 2008

Exciting prospect Shane Neumann is vying for a spot in Manly's backline this year.
Picture: Gregg Porteous.

UNHERALDED Manly three-quarter Shane Neumann has vowed to repay the Sea Eagles faith in him by putting pressure on the club's first choice centre pairing throughout 2008.

The young Queenslander made his first grade debut last year and impressed officials enough to secure a new three-year deal with the club. It says a lot about the potential of the exciting 20-year-old with the club already boasting representative centres Steven Bell, Steve Matai and Jamie Lyon.

But young Neumann's fantastic summer of training has impressed many and could see him put pressure on the club's more high profile centres.

Manly coach Des Hasler believes Neumann has a big future at the Sea Eagles.
"He's shown enough in his first year, now it's a matter of working hard and seeing where he can go from there," the Sea Eagles boss said yesterday.

"He was playing in the 20s' competition last year and he came up and had a handful of games in first grade. He's in the full-time squad now, he's had another strong off-season and we think he has some potential."

The addition of former New Zealand international David Vaeliki in the off-season makes competition for places even greater but Neumann is determined to add to his three first grade games. "I've had a few games and once that's the case you want to play more," he said.

"Now we've got Vaeliki in the team it's another bit of a challenge to step up to and it will be tough.
"But it's good that the club are showing a bit of faith in me. Now I've just got to bide my time there and play my best in Premier League.
"If I have a good season this year then hopefully I'll be able to get a few more games again, I'd be happy with that."

Neumann originally made the journey down to Sydney on a one-year deal and spent most of last season playing in Manly's Jersey Flegg squad. But the youngster was a surprise selection in the Sea Eagles round 10 win over Brisbane at Brookvale Oval where he debuted strongly.

He will press for a first grade spot in Manly's opening trial match against premiers Melbourne at Bluetongue Stadium on February 15.

http://manlydaily.com.au/article/2008/02/06/8591_sports.html

From memory he was pretty solid in the few (3-4?) games last year. He must have done enough each time to instill some confidence because he was on for virtually the whole 80.

Got caught out in defense once or twice but nothing more than what you would expect from a new young bloke making his way up.

I get the feeling the club is ramping up the "competion for spots" factor a bit. Bell comes to mind when i say that.

He needs to learn a bit about tackling unless he wants to be remembered as another Paul Stephenson.

good move by the club, he has all the makings of a very good centre, may not come on but im sure he is comnig cheap and if a few of those types of gambles pay off then you top 25 are looking rather sharp

He played one average game last year in which he was lost in defence. He was solid in the others and has good potential. Only problem is that he is a queenslander!!

Canteen Worker link said:
He played one average game last year in which he was lost in defence. He was solid in the others and has good potential. Only problem is that he is a queenslander!!

Best reason to sign him.

some of our best have been QLD'ers- Vautin, Shearer, Brown, Boustead, McCabe, Bell, Close, Bella, Tierney, Burns.

And he's an eastern suburbs(qld) boy!

The game against the Panthers his defence with his winger was bad, but I thought he played pretty well when given the chance.

against the panthers orford ****ed Neumann over, i saw orford wave neumann off when he tried to get the gap closed. Not much you can do when you captain couldnt give a **** about defence and help out the new kid. He wasnt perfect but wore a lot of **** that should have gone to the highest paid player at the club on that night.

Nodd, give yourseld an uppercut, Bella. FFS he wouldnt make the 5th grade squad at manly.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6