[Resurrected] Show Hasler respect, Arko tells Manly fans

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

wombatgc

KT 623
Premium Member
Tipping Member
MANLY patriarch Ken Arthurson has moved to ease tension leading into Friday night's game at Brookvale Oval by calling on Sea Eagles supporters to show Des Hasler some respect for his long service to the club.

Hasler, who left Manly in controversial circumstances five days after guiding the club to last year's premiership, will return to his former home ground for the first time as coach of Canterbury.

Sea Eagles officials are expecting a full house and Hasler can expect a hot reception from Manly supporters given his acrimonious departure last October.

Arthurson, however, has encouraged fans to remember what Hasler did for the club, both as a player and coach. Hasler played 255 games for the Sea Eagles before spending 11 years on the coaching staff, including eight years in charge of the first grade side during which time he delivered the club two premierships.

"I think Des has done a good job for Manly," Arthurson said.

"I think it would be poor taste for them to start to bag him, I really do. He's given terrific service to Manly, not only as a player but in winning premierships as a coach.

"I don't think they should bag him. In saying that, there's no doubt I want to see Manly win this game. I am desperate for them to win this game. In terms of how Des should be received, he should treated with respect.

"I sincerely hope the Brookvale crowd remember the great service rendered (by Hasler) with the club as a player and coach, and give him the respect he's entitled."

The hoopla surrounding Hasler's return is only heightened by the clubs' positions on the ladder. Canterbury has a share of the competition lead with Melbourne while Manly, coached by another club great in Geoff Toovey, slipped to seventh after a shock loss to Newcastle last weekend.

"Toovs has done a terrific job," Arthurson said.

"He's a very dedicated bloke. I was really pleased with him last weekend. Flu had gone through the place but he didn't make any excuses. If you get beaten you have to lick your wounds and come back next week."

While Arthurson encouraged the Manly fans to remember the good times under Hasler, Canterbury chief executive Todd Greenberg admitted he would also be surprised if the Bulldogs' coach didn't receive an encouraging reception.

The Bulldogs did their best to stir the pot when the two sides met in April, printing a cheeky T-shirt that read "Be Manly, Be a Bulldog".

"I think Des will treat it as a normal week and I'd be surprised if he wasn't received in a really warm fashion," Greenberg said yesterday.

"He's a two-time premiership winner for their club and he devoted most of his professional working life to the Sea Eagles.

"I think fans understand in the modern game that players and coaches move from time to time.

"I don't really want to go over old ground but it was well documented at the time that he didn't really want to leave Manly."

The Bulldogs had more pressing matters on their hands after prop Sam Kasiano was charged yesterday with a careless high tackle by the match review committee for his swinging arm on Parramatta's Fuifui Moimoi last Friday night.

Kasiano is in danger of missing Friday night's game.

I fully agree.Well said Ken.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/show-hasler-respect-arko-tells-manly-fans/story-fnca0von-1226427533352

Greenberg's right though, Hasler didn't want to go. Hasler wouldn't have negotiated for weeks/months with the Bulldogs, if his preference wasn't really to stay at Manly.

Nice try Arko but remember he tried to rip the club apart when he said he wouldn't.

Never mind he will get what he deserves, whether u like it or not.

Oh ok I'll forget that you knew you were leaving six months before the end of the season last year ,I'll forget that you ruined our grand final celebrations by announcing you were going to the scum dogs at the end of the season,I'll forget that you took all the ex manly staff for a "new challenge" ,I'll forget that you poached players when you promised you wouldn't and I'll forget that you said you would be here coaching us this year NOT !!!!!! ,tsk tsk tsk dogler tsk tsk tsk

Thankyou Des for the 4 premierships you were involved in with our mighty clu, but you are now a filthy, disloyal grub. He blatantly lied to all supporters who turned out @ Brookie after the GF last year, fully knowing he had already (or was about to) sign with the dogs. He then tried to rip the club apart by taking coaching staff and players, against a promise he already made. I have huge repect for Arko, but the great man is wrong on this occasion.

Kiwi Eagle said:
f**k off Greenburg you grub

You nailed it my kiwi brother

Greenberg is a filthy grub. This world would be a significantly better place of Greenberg wasn't here.

Phantar said:
Greenberg's right though, Hasler didn't want to go. Hasler wouldn't have negotiated for weeks/months with the Bulldogs, if his preference wasn't really to stay at Manly.

Crap.
He left for the money. He new manly had lost 1.4 mil last year. He never thought that manly would ever get close to his 900,000.00 he was offered. What he did then makes him a true dog.
He lied for the reasons he was leaving.
He lied about the time he said the deal was done.
He lied when he blamed the board.
He lied when he said manly offered him more money to stay and above all else he lied to the players when he said he only made up his mind in October, our award night.
He has burnt all of his bridges with this club.
He has no Honour and gets no respect from me.

Sir Ken....
I dont think I have ever disagreed with u, except for now.
You questioned Des's ethics when he started poaching players, after he apparently told u he wouldnt.He has **** on the club with the way he screwed us on contracts...especially back ended.....and u want us to show respect.He wlaked out on us...us MANLY.

I Sir Ken, would not p!ss on him if he was on fire....He screwed us....left us....f@rk Des....My opinion guys but I will never show him any respect at all.....I wont be rude and offensive....but respect???? go home Des...you get none from me, your a grub

lovefooty said:
Phantar said:

Crap.
He left for the money. He new manly had lost 1.4 mil last year. He never thought that manly would ever get close to his 900,000.00 he was offered. What he did then makes him a true dog.
He lied when he said manly offered him more money to stay and above all else he lied to the players when he said he only made up his mind in October, our award night.

didn't he also lie when he told arko personally that he wouldn't poach any manly players?

The thing is des has made his bed and he needs to lie down in it with the dogs and suffer through the fleas. Only a fair weather fan would really think he left at the end of the year cause manly couldn't match his offer from the dogs.

He shopped himself around long before August and canneberry sacked Moore after signing him up. They played the looking for the coach angle for so long it pissed Ricky Stuart off and then they pretended like manly didn't offer des what he was worth.

No fan diminishes what he did for our club but he diminishes what we did for him. He could have been the favourite son forever. He gave that up for cash and now he has to live with the embarrassment that is the 'best marketing machine in the nrl' and blokes like beaver cliffy tooves, his betters as players will remain his betters as club legends.

Reap what you sew. You chose money over respect and over admiration and still thought you would get the chance to steer us to back to back. Sorry mate we will let the bloke who punted you from half back in your playing days punt you from that honour in your coaching career also.

Print that massoud or channel ten!

castle eagle said:
lovefooty said:
Phantar said:

Crap.

didn't he also lie when he told arko personally that he wouldn't poach any manly players?

Yes that's right and staff as well and he would of got away with it all with his fat Zorba mates help. Thank god someone with the guts got those emails out so the world could see what was really happening.
I would suspect that Zorba has once again been in Arkos ear and looking after his lying mate(Des). Two peas in a pod. 2 rotten peas.

Des will be seen as one of the greatest coaches the club has ever had. He brought us many years of dominance and they were great days. Life goes on.

PONTIAN SEA EAGLE said:
Lovefooty no need to mention the word greeks just call him peter peters,20% of manly supporters are of greek descent.

Sorry, If I was a Greek I would take offence at him (peters )being one as well.
I will just call him Zorba.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8