SIGNINGS for 2011 :)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
NRL: Hasler hails new era
RUGBY LEAGUE
11 NOV 10 @ 04:04PM BY JASON AVEDISSIAN
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/hasler-hails-new-era/

42b9e5787ad9b4db0d26fc9c38a014a1_resized.jpg

Youngster William Hopoate is a face of the Sea Eagles future.
SEA Eagles coach Des Hasler is convinced the club is on the brink of a new era next season, regardless of Manly’s quiet off-season recruitment drive.

The Sea Eagles got back to work this week at the Sydney Sports Academy in Narrabeen.

Only Kangaroos’ forward Anthony Watmough has been absent.

Former representative backs Brett Stewart and David Williams have also been unable to train as they continue their rehabilitation process following long-term injuries.

Newcomers Daniel Harrison (Bulldogs) and Tim Robinson (Parramatta) have been there all week learning the ropes, with another Liam Foran (Warriors) also now joining the club.

But none of these recruits have played NRL football, a fact which doesn’t bother Hasler.

How will Manly go with their next generation? Have your say below.

“We’ve got a lot of young players coming through,” he said on Thursday.

“We didn’t sign any marquee players, but we had five internationals all re-sign.

“Jamie Lyon, Steve Matai, Glenn Stewart, Anthony Watmough, Kieran Foran, there’s a lot of talent here.”

A lot of established talent, coupled with the introduction of the next generation is what Hasler hopes will ensure a new era at Brookvale.

The likes of William Hopoate, Daly Cherry-Evans, Dean Whare, Jamie Buhrer, James Cunningham, Darcy Lussick and Michael Oldfield will certainly play a role beyond this summer.

“It’s the beginning of the next cycle of players,” Hasler said.

“The next batch of superstars are coming through.”

Hasler said the pre-season period is about “achieving players’ needs” and using the time before Christmas to build towards another campaign.

“We know where we’ve got to improve,” he said.

Re: we now Have 3 signings for 2011

Settle down Des the next superstars, let's just see them prove themselves as first graders. Also 5 internationals re signed that is the problem, because some of these guy's fell into a rep jersey in 2008 and we are paying overs.

You won't get "glass half empty" response from me. As long as we don't get an injury and suspension toll like 2010, I reckon the team will be really hard to beat. An international backline (except robbo), kieren with a year more experience, the qld cup best player at half (yes it's a learning curve for dce but is there a more talented young half coming along?). And combination of rep forwards and young up and comers. It'll be bounceback year for mine.

Don't over hype qld cup form,I'll give you some history from year 2000 to this year here is the list of players of the year 2000 Chris lawler,2001 Michael Roberts,2002 Scott thorburn,2003 Denny Lambert, 2004 Jace Van Dijk, 2005 Ricky Bird, 2006 Brandon Costin, 2007 Shannon Walker, 2008 Nat Bowman, 2009 Ian Lacey, 2010 Ryan Cullen. Now I hope DCE turns out to be a champion but going on the strike rate of the players listed who wre the BEST in that comp I wouldn't be putting any money on him being in first grade in 2012.  

Here we go again whinging about a team that has just started training, Joe I think Des and the selectors/ recruitment team know more about who will fit in or not  and as for players falling into rep teams, killer has been a rep player previously so has gift, mati has always been in kiwi selection,and choc deserved his spot, kieran got a run because he deserved it no one falls into rep teams obviously your knowledge of selection process is very limited as is your small minded attitude let those who have the knowledge of the players run it and if they fail then their heads will be on the block but knowing dessies approach to fitness and his knowledge this team when fielded will give its all and hopfully win the big one come October. so stop complaining at every turn and give them a go  

DCE was best & fairest as well as rookie of the year, not player of the year though. Whether you get to watch it or not Q cup is a higher standard comp than NSW cup or toyota cup so it stands to reason that we would recruit/ blood our players there.

Good to see L Foran coming - gives us another option in the halves where we are very short otherwise. 

zambuck link said:
Here we go again whinging about a team that has just started training, Joe I think Des and the selectors/ recruitment team know more about who will fit in or not  and as for players falling into rep teams, killer has been a rep player previously so has gift, mati has always been in kiwi selection,and choc deserved his spot, kieran got a run because he deserved it no one falls into rep teams obviously your knowledge of selection process is very limited as is your small minded attitude let those who have the knowledge of the players run it and if they fail then their heads will be on the block but knowing dessies approach to fitness and his knowledge this team when fielded will give its all and hopfully win the big one come October. so stop complaining at every turn and give them a go  
You are kidding if you think Foran deserves rep money, if you work on the theory that ALL rep players are equal then Robbo should get rep money for playing for scotland, as for Des and crew knowing more then me I hope they do with the job's they have,it still dosn't prevent me from an opinion. Killer is the only player in our club who deserves rep class money.

I thought that Liam was at the roosters last year and Warriors the year before? 

That explains why Keiron was slow to sign his new contract.

Would like a young up and coming prop to be signed as well though.  Does anyone know the NRL and toyota cup squads yet?  Is Junior Paulu still with us? 

north coast eagle link said:
DCE was best & fairest as well as rookie of the year, not player of the year though. Whether you get to watch it or not Q cup is a higher standard comp than NSW cup or toyota cup so it stands to reason that we would recruit/ blood our players there.
I agree with the standard of the comps, I think people are over stating the impact that DCE will have this season. some people would have yo believe he is a mixture of Alfie Langer and Geoff Toovey, unless he has improved out of sight Des over looked him when it was a choice between him and Hodkinson, and if Hodkinson ( and we all know how we don't rate him) re signed then DCE was getting no contract so that tells you something. That is the question Des should answer if he is so good then why all the drama about trying to sign hodkinson?

tookey link said:

Would like a young up and coming prop to be signed as well though.  Does anyone know the NRL and toyota cup squads yet?  Is Junior Paulu still with us? 

He was released by the Warriors half way through 2009 when he couldn't crack it for a spot in the Warriors NSW Cup team. He has played with Newtown since then.

ERNIE FOR NO7 link said:
[quote author=tookey link=topic=185933.msg305628#msg305628 date=1289457181]

He was released by the Warriors half way through 2009 when he couldn't crack it for a spot in the Warriors NSW Cup team. He has played with Newtown since then.
[/quote]
            So is this a signing to keep Kieran happy?

Joe Kramer link said:
[quote author=ERNIE FOR NO7 link=topic=185933.msg305630#msg305630 date=1289459126]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Didn't we sign Glenn to keep Brett happy? Doesn't always turn out bad.

Rusty link said:
[quote author=Joe Kramer link=topic=185933.msg305631#msg305631 date=1289459371]
[quote author=ERNIE FOR NO7 link=topic=185933.msg305630#msg305630 date=1289459126]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Didn't we sign Glenn to keep Brett happy? Doesn't always turn out bad.
[/quote] Right you are sir

Fantastic news...i'm happy with the re-signings of the fab5 and also the newcomers. Hopefully the squad of 25 are all competing for positions in Round 1, and guys that are off contract next season are going to have to work their backsides off. If they don't then Des might be a little more active in the player market for 2012 with a few $$$ in the bank!

zambuck link said:

Well said Zambuck.

The year has not even started yet let alone the next season yet there the Doubting Thomas's are out in force already.  At least wait for the first few rounds of 2011 before judging.

Fair Dinkum, some people need to wake up to themselves.

The Gronk link said:
Good to see L Foran coming - gives us another option in the halves where we are very short otherwise. 

I thought Liam had morphed into a hooker these days ? Not all bad though because we are skinny there as well, as I assume that Terry Terry Seu Seu has moved on. A change of pace around dummy half coming off the bench is something we lacked this year. Let's hope he does turn into another Gift.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2