Slater hurt at training

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rambo1987

Bencher
CLASSY Test fullback Billy Slater's shot at redemption against New Zealand is in the balance after rolling his right ankle in a freak training mishap at Langlands Park.

The team's medical staff rushed to Slater's aid as he slumped to the turf 35 minutes into the Kangaroos training session, just three days out from the Test showdown with the World Cup champion Kiwis.

The Storm custodian, who threw a wayward pass that gifted the Kiwis a crucial World Cup try, was clearly distressed, clutching his right ankle and grimacing in pain by the time help arrived.

His right boot was removed and, after being treated for a few minutes on the field, he gingerly limped into the dressing sheds where his ankle was packed in ice.

Initial reports suggested the ankle sprain was only minor.

But with so little time on his side the injury has put his Test spot under a cloud.

When Slater emerged from the dressing sheds after training to board the team bus he said: "I'll be right".

Fortunately for rookie Test coach Tim Sheens, winger Darius Boyd (corked thigh) trained on Tuesday and is expected to be officially cleared to take his place in the side tomorrow.

Should Slater's ankle flare up overnight, Sheens could switch Boyd to fullback, where he plays for the Dragons, with 18th man Joel Monaghan coming into the team on the left wing.

While Slater's scare could yet force late changes, bench prop Luke Bailey, inconvenienced by a knee injury, surprised by completing today's training after concerns he could struggle to prove his fitness.

Meanwhile hooker Cameron Smith says he's not feeling any pressure to prove he is deserving of his Australian Test jumper despite the outstanding early season form of Michael Ennis and Robbie Farah, locked in a dogged fight for the NSW Origin job.

Ennis and Farah, who'll clash in Friday night's City-Country Origin game in Orange have been in superb form for their NRL clubs while Smith hasn't been as potent for the Storm with coach Craig Bellamy shuffling him between dummy half and five-eighth.

Things have improved for Smith, though, since Melbourne pounced to sign disgruntled Eels half Brett Finch last month as a solution to their No.6 problems.

"I don't think I have to go out on Friday and prove that I should be the Australian hooker," said Smith.

"I think I've done enough working the past at rep level to show I'm good enough to be here.

"I always look to play my best every time I walk out onto the field."

Smith said it had been frustrating at the start of the season swapping between five-eighth and hooker.

"I couldn't really find any rhythm," he said.

"It was for the team's benefit but I think the last few weeks, I've been able to play 80 minutes in the middle and I've certainly improved my form as was the case against Manly last weekend."

Karma - she's a woman and she's a b*tch, but she is beautiful!

Slater hurt, couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Anyone notice the punch to the head of Robbo when he tackled Slater near Melbourne's try line on Friday?  Nothing said, nothing done.

If his fellow employees (two ref's, one video ref and two linesman all employed directly or indeirectly by News Ltd) wont reprimand him at least there is always Karma.  Keep it up "Karma" I love you. 8)

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4