Slipper/Stewart

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
It will be strange days indeed if Parliament can be adjudicated by a man facing sexual harassment and corruption claims but a footballer ( who was innocent) could not take the field. I wonder if Gallop could explain this turn of events?

He explains it away be saying Stewart brought the game into disrepute for his drinking and said his decision to stand Brett down had nothing to do with the sexual assault.

It is an allegation. We bemoaned a penalty on Snake which we all know was based on that allegation, and now that same entitlement isn't there for Slipper? I don't like it either but you have to be consistent.

Matabele said:
I wonder if Gallop could explain this turn of events?

Sure he can. I will give you the exact wording he would use.

"I feel comfortable with the decisions we made. Its in everyones interest, including Bretts, that we all move on from this"

Matabele said:
And Slipper has not bought Parliament into disrepute?

You have to get convicted for murder before anyone gets tossed from the parliament. It's a joke, if they went through all the dealings of every politician there'd be no-one left.

There are precedents like when Neville Wran stepped down following allegations of attempting to influence the NSW Magistry (however he was cleared from memory). Labor clinging to parliamentry control via two obviously very tainted individuals is still an issue. However, this isn't football and the link to Goose is a bit thin.

manlyfan76 said:
Crime doesn't pay as well as politics.

Reminds me of the old quote from the Askin days: "NSW has the finest police force money can buy"

In most workplaces people accused of workplace sexual harassment are stood down while investigations conclude?

Matabele said:
In most workplaces people accused of workplace sexual harassment are stood down while investigations conclude?

Since when have politicians been classed as people who live in the real world. Slipper will stay and the liberals will have a field day with it.

The issue is not if he is innocent or guilty, but rather if the parliament thinks he is the BEST representative to hold the high office he was given. Since he has stood down it is a mute point anyway, but if the government had voted to keep him in the speakers chair, it would signal that they thought he was best placed to take on the responsibilities of that role. A great many of those responsibilities are symbolic lets remember.

Brett was never elected to anything, Slipper was, twice. The first by his electorate can not be undone until the next election, but the second can be affected at any time. Every day the government was willing to allow him to stay in the chair is a day they effectively elected him to that role again, saying by extension that he was the best man for the job, and also that no member of the government was as able or more able.

He has saved the government a difficult political decision by stepping down, but Gillards judgment should be called into question for ever putting him there in the first place.

It will be interesting to see if he attempts to vote with the government, and if the government can be forced to disown him entirely.

manlyfan. said:
If found guilty they should definitely boot Slipper..

A note that the harassment charges are civil not criminal, ie. seeking of damages, and therefore will not force him from the parliament, even if he is forced to pay up. That is unless the resulting damages place Slipper in a bankrupt position.

The cab charge issue is a criminal charge however.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4