slow play the ball

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

castle eagle

Bencher
Tipping Member
after gallen made comments re their game against the storm i thought it would be looked at but i was at the game yesterday & i thought the refs allowed the game to be slowed down by continually holding the player down.
now i'm not making any excuses for the loss - the way manly played they didn't deserve to win but at times it was very frustrating seeing the game controlled by the defenders so much.
one instance in particular was when tafua fielded the ball inside his goal line, beat a couple of defenders & made a break. he passed to foran(i think) who was tackled somewhere near half way, parramatta's defence was scattered. the referees allowed the defenders to lay on foran until they had their whole defensive line set. previously i have seen penalties given for that- even sin bins but last night nothing.
with that kind of control given to a defence it will be a very boring game to watch.

To be fair the referees were consistent yesterday but I agree the 10 was short for most of the game which meant there was so little space, another big difference is we did not have the go forward of previous weeks and our halves had no time but it always helps when you control the ball and we failed miserably at that aspect of the game yesterday.

I was most pissed off with parra players crawling forward a few meters after every tackle. Fair dinkum they made more ground after they were tackled than from running. The refs pulled them back only once to play it on the mark. Dumb refs. Good wet weather tactics.

Personally I am pissed off that players (and we do it also), don't actually play the damn ball any more. The amount of times that the foot never goes near the ball is staggering, yet it never gets penalised.

No sour grapes because frankly we should have stopped Faraimo from scoring, but when Will Hopoate 'played' the ball back to his winger, he literally jumped over the ball, at no stage playing it.

For all the crap that the league does in cracking down on things like shoulder charges, they do nothing about things like enforcing the rule that players actually have to play the ball with their foot, not just roll it back and step over it.

At a rough guess, I would say that in any given game in the NRL less than 10% of the play the balls are actually legal.

They put the whistle away yesterday. Manly were also lying in the ruck, but at times when we were trying to get a roll on, parra were continually off side, and really slowing down any half breaks we made. They were out on their feet, but the ref refused to get them back and blow the whistle, when in previous weeks, or a different ref, you would of seen a lot more penalties

Was at the game and the refs would mark the 10 for Para who were consistently not getting back in line with the refs. Rather than blow the whistle they simply walked a couple steps forward to meet the def line. Seemed a very strange way to police the 10....

The ruck/10 were so poorly reffed yesterday the only conclusion is they were told to ignore it.

'Ruined a bad game of rugby league
start rant

it's nearly impossible to reconcile.....with the 2 ref system where one refs job is principally police the 10 metres.....yep, impossible to reconcile...

this coupled with the rain conditions and with the slow play the balls.....brought a very very ordinary team 30 points closer to us and was enough to get them over the line.....

and BTW I am making excuses for the loss, and why shouldn't I if those excuses are factual :speechless:, but it still doesn't mean that I'm saying we played well

(and BTW, for those with bad memories, we were robbed via in the 2013 GF, something like 18 poor rulings)

end rant

Yesterday I was really pissed off with how we constantly dropped the ball and were forcing it and how our forwards got belted. For all of that I blame the refs...

Yesterday I was really pissed off with how we constantly dropped the ball and were forcing it and how our forwards got belted. For all of that I blame the refs...
exactly, the increased dropped balls had nothing to do with the refs but actually directly attributable to the slowness on the play the balls in addition the disgraceful policing of the 10 m in already appalling conditions.........wait I think your onto something there.....@:rolleyes:

Well believe it or not, when you pass the ball to a forward off a slow play-the-ball and the defence has never retreated 10 metres, you are a sitting duck and it makes it easier for you to be smashed....but yes, it's a stretch the blame yesterday's debacle squarely on the referees.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4