Smith & Smith Charged

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DVS Matt

Bencher
Smith & Smith Charged

Cameron Smith misses both Prelim & GF regardless of his plea - unless fights and wins

Jeremy Smith misses this weekend with early guilty plea or prelim & gf if he fights and loses

Source - 2GB

Re: Smith & Smith Charged

Smith charged with grapple tackle
Brad Walter | September 22, 2008 - 2:02PM

Storm captain Cameron Smith has been charged over the controversial tackle on Brisbane's Sam Thaiday and will have to successfully challenge the allegation at Wednesday night's judiciary hearing to play again this season.

Teammate Jeremy Smith has also been charged over his role in the 58th minute tackle.

With 93 carryover points from a grapple tackle on Warriors centre Brent Tate in round four, Cam Smith faces a two match suspension ruling him out of Friday night's preliminary final against Cronulla at Sydney Football Stadium and the following weekend's grand final.

The absence of the Australian hooker would be a massive blow to the Storm, who are also likely to be without Test backrower Ryan Hoffman after he aggravated an ankle injury in the 18-16 defeat of the Broncos last Saturday night.

Not even Bellew can win this one.

In saying that  i wouldn't be surprised if he fights it and the judiciary downgrades it somehow to only one match (but then there's the carry over points so that's still 2 games right?)

oh well,

BYE BYE SMITHY!!!!!!!!!  Don't get choked for words when you front the media.

Now all the Storm fans have an excuse if they dont win the GF this year...typical

eggson link said:
Not even Bellew can win this one.

In saying that  i wouldn't be surprised if he fights it and the judiciary downgrades it somehow to only one match (but then there's the carry over points so that's still 2 games right?)

oh well,

BYE BYE SMITHY!!!!!!!!!  Don't get choked for words when you front the media.

Now all the Storm fans have an excuse if they dont win the GF this year...typical

So now their a one man band ha lol

Without the two Smith's and Hoffman this Friday's game against the sharks is looking a lot closer.  

Praying for a sharks victory.

Canteen Worker link said:
With 93 carryover points from a grapple tackle on Warriors centre Brent Tate in round four, Cam Smith faces a two match suspension ruling him out of Friday night's preliminary final against Cronulla at Sydney Football Stadium and the following weekend's grand final.

Fox Sports says that Smith was suspended for 2 weeks for his tackle on Tate, but he must not of been because I can't recall him losing any Dally M points for it.

Bellamy said that the pair were working against each other in the tackle, with Cam Smith having his left hand hooked under Thaiday's chin and trying to pull him to the ground while Jeremy Smith had hold of his arm and was pushing him backwards.

"He's got hold of his arm. He hasn't bent his arm, has he? The position he started in, it stayed in," Bellamy said of Jeremy Smith's involvement. "What do they want him to get hold of? Get hold of his head? Get hold of his balls? It … pisses me off mate.

"You've got three guys in the tackle — Dallas [Johnson] is around the legs — trying to get him on the ground, and they end up working against each other. Cameron looks like he loses a bit of balance and as he comes down he's hand ends up around the chin and as soon as he realises where he is he lets go."

lol that a lame excese, the fact is simple even if they are working against each other whos fault is that?... its the players fault, therefore CS is stuffed J Smith might be a bit more lucky which i hope not. If they dont get any fines / weeks then the conspiracy theorists will come out and be all over this website.

Matabele link said:
Cameron looks like he loses a bit of balance and as he comes down he's hand ends up around the chin and as soon as he realises where he is he lets go.\"

Bellamy is kidding him self isn't he?

As soon as he starts the tackle, smith is up to a Grapple, then when he is in the grapple He tries to pull Thaidays head off and throw him to the ground via a Grapple, he let go after being bustled by a Bronco coming in to defend Thaiday.

One of the worst examples of a Grapple going

They charged him with grapple tackle so when he fights he wins. It was clearly not the definition of a grapple tackle. They will argue the charge is wrong and get off.

That's what I'm thinking Flip. He'll get off this on the definition of a Grapple Tackle. It isn't one, so he wins.

What it is is contrary conduct, unnecessary contact with the head, for which he has not been charged.

This is the most obvious show of bias towards the Storm ever. And that's a big call.

Flip link said:
They charged him with grapple tackle so when he fights he wins. It was clearly not the definition of a grapple tackle. They will argue the charge is wrong and get off.

I knew the F**KING pricks for find some way of letting him off  :mad:

The pressure will be enormous on the judiciary panel on Wednesday. I would think that if this occurred in Round 14 this would be a non event, Smith would accept the charge and take the 2 match penalty.

Of course it is not Round 14 and this sheds a whole new light on the decision. The NRL have stated that grapple tackles, contact with head (even if accidental) is not acceptable.

We have all thought and even spoken of conspiracy theories given  the ownership of the Storm, I have not been one that accepts those thoughts, however if Smith & Smith get off their respective charges, on whatever grounds Bellew can conjure up then their will be rioting in the streets, and not just north of the Harbour Bridge.

This is more evidence that the charge is a trumped up one to mak the NRL look as though they are doing something when they are not.  Smith will get off because of a technicality. 

History is at least on his side as in four years, six of the eight grapple charges taken to a judiciary panel have resulted in not guilty verdicts.

Legends appalled by charge

September 22, 2008 PREMIERSHIP-winning former league hard men John Sattler and Mark Geyer have slammed the NRL's judicial system which could end Melbourne captain Cameron Smith's season

.........But Geyer and Sattler say he has no case to answer, slamming the charge and loading system which has put Smith's season in jeopardy.......
Sattler agreed with Geyer that there was “nothing” in the Thaiday tackle that warranted suspension.......

blah blah blah

If the judiciary system is unfair and this is some terrible anomaly as legendary hard cases from the past opine (some lazy journo writing copy sitting on his arse getting predictable quotes from predictable sources); that's fine but opposing teams should have had a fair shot at defending themselves the old fashioned way too. Players regularly threatening the neck and spine would be living by the sword (and prepared to die by it) in the 'good old days'.

But for better or worse we don't expect RL to look like that these days.....

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6