Snake and ladder: Stewart adds up for Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

bones

Bones Knows
Glenn Jackson
SMH

Most would say it is difficult to put a figure on a player's value. But in the case of Manly's Brett Stewart, you can - the Sea Eagles have been an 18-point better side since his return.
The remarkable statistic, which shows Stewart's worth, drew high praise from Manly Immortal Bob Fulton - the player the fullback surpassed in the club's all-time try-scoring list on Sunday - who described Stewart as a ''really special player''.
It has become quite easy to see why. While he was sidelined with a back injury, the Sea Eagles won one from five, and averaged 15.2 points a game during that period. Since his return against Sydney Roosters in round 16, they have averaged 33.5 points a game - culminating in Stewart's one try and three try-assists against Gold Coast at Brookvale Oval. The side has averaged more than 18 points a game more since his return than they did without him.
Advertisement

Not only does he score them - his try on Sunday gave him 130 tries from 171 appearances (as well as 69 tries from 74 appearances at Brookvale Oval) - he can set them up too. His three assists took him to 76 in that category over his career too.
''Everyone looks at his try-scoring, but his strike rate at throwing the last pass for a try is phenomenal,'' Fulton said on Monday. ''When he was out for five weeks, they won one game, they drew one, and they lost three. They won one out of five.
''He has so much influence on that side. Obviously you have players like Daly Cherry-Evans, Jamie Lyon, Kieran Foran and his brother Glenn. But Brett's the trigger. He drags everyone along with him. He's a really special player. He's already one of the greats of the club, in my opinion, given what he's done.''
Over Stewart's career, Manly's ability to win drops markedly when the fullback is not playing. The club has had a 66 per cent winning record (113 wins from 171 matches) with Stewart in the side, but that figure is 42 per cent without him (37 from 89).
This season, they have won nine from 12 with him (75 per cent) and one from five (20 per cent) without him, even with so much talent elsewhere in the squad.
Fulton stopped short of saying the Sea Eagles could not win the premiership without Stewart, but did admit: ''Given the stats, it would be very difficult.''
Now Stewart sits only behind Steve Menzies in the list of Manly's all-time greatest try-scorers. But Menzies scored his 151 tries over 280 matches. Stewart's real success is in his strike rate.
The 28-year-old has the best try-scoring strike rate of any current player (to have scored more than 100 tries), and in fact is the best in that department since St George Illawarra's Nathan Blacklock, who scored 121 tries in 142 matches (for a strike rate of 85.2 per cent).
He sits in 13th place on the all-time list of try-scoring strike rates, below legends of the code including Harold Horder, Reg Gasnier, Ken Irvine, Eddie Lumsden and Steve Renouf. ''Brett is a player I would pay to watch any day,'' Fulton said. ''I love watching him play.''

the mauler said:
Where's the Stewart lynch mob now???

They're lining up to sink the slipper into his brother mauler.

As far as I'm concerned, Snake is beyond criticism. Champion bloke and an even better player.

Grew in my estimation after his "Be Manly, don't be a dawg" call. Classic stuff.

I was too young to remember bozo as a player.
So cliffy has always been the best manly player I have seen. I think napper is now the 2nd best. The prince is a freak he's looking fitter and fitter I wouldn't be surprised if he has a stellar 7 weeks and gives the dally m a shake.

There's no doubt his value is immeasurable, but some of those figures without Brett there are misleading, in regards to the points scored.
We lost to the Roosters, Bulldogs, and Warriors away and drew with Melbourne, all heavy weights, and all narrow loses as well, and with Brett there they probably would all be wins.
We just play a different game with Brett and he plays it like no other fullback.

Agree!

Manly must not be duped into thinking that they are one man Team :mad:

I love Brett and am amazed by his acceleration, you can actually see him speed up as he is running , but Manly have won many games without him, and more importantly, need to believe that they can :idea:.

We will be bombarded with the Death Riders from now until 9pm on the 6th October 2013, when Killer raises the Trophy again :exclamation:

CAMBO said:
I was too young to remember bozo as a player.
So cliffy has always been the best manly player I have seen. I think napper is now the 2nd best. The prince is a freak he's looking fitter and fitter I wouldn't be surprised if he has a stellar 7 weeks and gives the dally m a shake.

I'm 'experienced' enough to remember all of Fulton's game and he was a freak - the most influential Manly player ever. I also watched all of Graeme Eddie's matches and rated him our greatest fullback, but I think the stats for Snake have forced me to reevaluate. If I was picking my best ever Manly 13 I'd have Brett now No. 1 (provided I had a goalkicker, possibly Michael OÇonnor).
Snake is a Ferrari, Eddie was a muscle car. Snake glides, evades and burns them with pace and agility. Eddie was a wrecking ball, and a fantastic kicker. We have been blessed with incredible fullbacks, including Batty, Shearer and Ridge.

Might be time to rename the southern stand.
Menzies - Fulton - Stewart stand after our top 3 try scorers.

Or maybe Jane try could be Brett Stewart Try stand lol

CAMBO said:
Might be time to rename the southern stand.
Menzies - Fulton - Stewart stand after our top 3 try scorers.

Or maybe Jane try could be Brett Stewart Try stand lol
Thats a great idea Cambo !!!

Peter C said:
Seen all of them play over the past 45 years or so, Fulton's the best I've ever seen, he just controlled every game he played.
As for Eadie and Stewart, I refuse to compare them, both champions for Manly and leave it at that.
Wombat at his best no one could stop him . Snake at his best no one could catch him . Two Manly Immortals and of course Fulton is God.

The Who said:
I also watched all of Graeme Eddie's matches and rated him our greatest fullback,
Snake is a Ferrari, Eddie was a muscle car. Snake glides, evades and burns them with pace and agility. Eddie was a wrecking ball, and a fantastic kicker.

Too much Millionaire Hot Seat.
Eddie is the Pres of Collingwood AFL.
Our former muscle car/ wrecking ball at fullback was Eadie.

Peter C said:
Seen all of them play over the past 45 years or so, Fulton's the best I've ever seen, he just controlled every game he played.
As for Eadie and Stewart, I refuse to compare them, both champions for Manly and leave it at that.

Peter, well said. I agree completely.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7