• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

niccipops

un echidna spillo mia bevanda
Premium Member
We've all seem little form and repeated injuries from Snake this year. There's also innuendo about other things that we don't know are true. If true, just bloody terrible form and not forgivable from any party involved.
He's been a favourite of mine since the beginning of his career. I can clearly see that if he doesn't return to form shouldn't play next year.
Some facts I think are correct re. the Snake. He was part of the disgruntled crew that were filthy with Gift being cut.
In 2015 he actually had quite an outstanding this. Look back at game voting results and this will confirm it.
This year he's been plagued by hammy injuries. I'm thinking his lack of form is due to this and he's playing tentatively with the knowledge that one more serious injury may be the last time he laces on the boots and he wants to preserve his career and continue earning money while he can.
Yesterday he had some good touches and several times during Penrith's attacking raids he was the only man in defence. He usually took out his player but couldn't take out the support players, who scored. Not his fault.
He's not laughing at our bad results. He looks pretty down. He's very supportive and encouraging of young Tommy.
It disappoints that some fans are just bagging the sh*t out of him. If people know him in person and he has told you he doesn't give a shyte anymore than fair enough.
Other than that we can't declare what he's thinking or his level of interest.
I'm sad that Snake's career has come to a massive form slump in the twilight. I hope he can get some of the magic back before leaving. He's on of our champions.
Thoughts and insight from people that know facts and aren't speculating, please share.

Going a season too long has shown a history of wiping the legend. Choc and Jamie were/are others that are falling away at the rate of knots. The way Brett is going and if he is thinking another season in 2017 he will be referenced in future years by rugby league fans as the Langlands dilemma.

Have to agree, I think he is playing injured. He looks very tentative and is not running freely a sure sign of dodgy hamstrings. He has been such a champion it's sad to see

Fair points Nicci

You can't blame anyone from wanting to earn a crust , but football is different , especially if you are a superstar, the expectations are that you'll continue to perform at superstar levels.

He should either be rested until it's 100% , or he should announce his retirement.

But seeing him at 1/8th capacity loitering out the back is just sad, and not the end we all wanted to see.

I was at the game yesterday and whilst he wasn't great I think the effort was there whilst it wasn't against the raiders. He did hurt his leg in the last 20 months mins so it will be interesting if he backs up next week

I am and always will be a huge fan of Snake and the brilliant career he has had with Manly is coming to an end. I think it is sad to see him frankly going through the motions and restricted by confidence and injuries. I hope he can turn it around but I think its clear that this is likely to be his last season. Ball is in your court Brett!!

Not sure what having insight into the why he is playing badly and what he is thinking denies someone having an opinion.This is not a reality TV show.OK his brother didn't get a contract! That was eons ago and our club has to deal with it still.Anyone here like to be paying Glens salary now.He lasted half a season at Souths.Absolutely spot on decision.Where was Bretts respect for probably our most popular ever player in Tooves.Respect is a two way street yet we are supposed to cop this stuff while he and a couple of mates forced Toovey out.I know enough about the inner workings of the club to know that player power forced Tooves out.The idea that this was simply Penn is ridiculous....just as being Haysons great pal around the club is ridiculous.

This is a professional sport and he is paid an incredible amount of money to play in a position where we have a bloke who is a superstar playing out of position to accommodate him. And the team has another 18 months of this as he is going nowhere because no club here or overseas would have any interest.If anyone can tell me that Tom T should not be wearing the No 1 jersey then they are delusional.This will put our rebuild back two years.

Stevie and Killer are at the same stage of their career but no one ever doubts their effort even though the skills are waning.Every fan can accept an ageing star trying his guts out even though the skills and speed are not there.Foran was a highly decorated Manly player and rightly copped it because he downed tools then left but we are expected to turn a blind eye to blatant disinterest because the guy stays.At least Foran decided he wanted out and someone else is paying his bills.

What fans and members shouldn't accept is what we see week to week with Brett. If anyone who watched the Canberra game could not see that then I give up. Prior to the game yesterday the Fox guys were talking about just this and highlighting what they called his atrocious stats. Quite frankly they are so poor it is unbelieveable.You don't have to be a Manly fan to see what is blindingly obvious.

I support the Club Manly and respect an individual players past achievements but the time has come to give Tom the jersey.It is just a fact.Look at Munster and Slater.Storm haven't missed a beat and Tom is a class above Munster.

Last edited:
I too would like to hear why one of our best ever players is being selected and is so restricted by something that his contribution is highly detrimental to the team and himself. We win that game easilly if he fit and well

I too would like to hear why one of our best ever players is being selected and is so restricted by something that his contribution is highly detrimental to the team and himself. We win that game easilly if he fit and well
No... we win it if he's prepared to put in! Clearly he wasn't!

Have to agree, I think he is playing injured. He looks very tentative and is not running freely a sure sign of dodgy hamstrings. He has been such a champion it's sad to see
I have assumed this to be the reason. He was supposed to have had a good pre-season but was then injured (just before round 1?) and since then there has been pressure to get him on the field to guide the new blokes around.
It's not working, so rest him to get fit.
Or ... if he is fit... sorry Snake, NSW Cup.

He has had bad hammies since 2011.Not sure why a player is not playing to first grade standard matters. If he is injured then don't play,if he is not then NSW Cup as SE8 says.
And while the soap opera rolls on we get smashed every week and a player who has all the makings of an absolute superstar plays out of position. It is just mind boggling.

This is a similar issue to Farah.Taylor is simply doing what win loss and individual stats tell him he must yet he is getting smashed by the press.I actually admire him taking the stand he has given how tenuous his job situation must be....and they have won 4 of their last 5 and playing some nice footy.Go figure.

Not sure what having insight into the why he is playing badly and what he is thinking denies someone having an opinion.This is not a reality TV show.OK his brother didn't get a contract! That was eons ago and our club has to deal with it still.Where was Bretts respect for probably our most popular ever player in Tooves.Respect is a two way street yet we are supposed to cop this stuff while he and a couple of mates forced Toovey out.I know enough about the inner workings of the club to know that player power forced Tooves out.The idea that this was simply Penn is ridiculous....just as being Haysons great pal around the club is ridiculous.

This is a professional sport and he is paid an incredible amount of money to play in a position where we have a bloke who is a superstar playing out of position to accommodate him. And the team has another 18 months of this as he is going nowhere because no club here or overseas would have any interest.If anyone can tell me that Tom T should not be wearing the No 1 jersey then they are delusional.This will put our rebuild back two years.

Stevie and Killer are at the same stage of their career but no one ever doubts their effort even though the skills are waning.Every fan can accept an ageing star trying his guts out even though the skills and speed are not there.Foran was a highly decorated Manly player and rightly copped it because he downed tools then left but we are expected to turn a blind eye to blatant disinterest because the guy stays.At least Foran decided he wanted out and someone else is paying his bills.

What fans and members shouldn't accept is what we see week to week with Brett. If anyone who watched the Canberra game could not see that then I give up. Prior to the game yesterday the Fox guys were talking about just this and highlighting what they called his atrocious stats. Quite frankly they are so poor it is unbelieveable.You don't have to be a Manly fan to see what is blindingly obvious.

I support the Club Manly and respect an individual players past achievements but the time has come to give Tom the jersey.It is just a fact.Look at Munster and Slater.Storm haven't missed a beat and Tom is a class above Munster.

Great post Susan. In the modern game fullback is arguably the most important position in the team and in 2016 manly has the worst no 1 in the comp.

From the moment he limped off in the trial at Rat Park against Ipswich he has been a shadow of his former great self.

I think that hamstring injury is still bothering him and at no stage this season has he played at anywhere near 100% fit. And that is one of the main reasons I believe that his form has been.....well.....crap. Sorry to say it but it has been.

I keep hearing (reading) rumours that Snake has been told that he won't be a Manly player from 2017. Not sure how that is going to go seeing as he is contracted until the end of next year, but that is what I keep hearing.

I really hate to say it because along with Beaver, Tooves and Cliffy, Snake is one of my all time favourite players and he definitely deserves better than this, but I think @susan is right, the sooner we get Tommy playing permanently in the #1 jumper, the better.

I really hate seeing Snake end up like this because as said, he deserves better.

We r paying home 600 K and he is not doing ****. Has he done a try? or a linebreak? The stewart we knew, scored at least a try a game, backed up after a linebreak to score. Not seeing any of this anymore

We r paying home 600 K and he is not doing ****. Has he done a try? or a linebreak? The stewart we knew, scored at least a try a game, backed up after a linebreak to score. Not seeing any of this anymore

Snake scored 16 tries in 22 games in 2015. He also had 6 line breaks, 9 try assists and 9 line break assists.

In 2016 he has scored 1 try (against Cronulla in Rd.3) in 8 games. He has made 0 line breaks (his try was from a kick), 2 try assists and 2 line break assists.

Felt the lack of effort and lack of appetite for any contact was still there yesterday. Yes bit better than previous weeks but that's not saying much. When young Cleary strolled through he was 98% to score I know...but you always see the last man throw an arm at the ball and try to dislodge it over the line....Stewart just let him stroll over. Only a small thing but to me symptomatic of where he is at these days. First option is always self preservation.

It's tough for Barrett dropping a club legend, but on form its looking like the only call if this goes on much longer.

It really comes down to this , if the coaching staff are actually running the side and not the psuedo coaching staff in the background there's 3 choices.

1) He's injured , if the medical staff think it's repairable , stand him down even for the rest of the year and get him fixed.

2) His head isn't in the right space , see above but bring him back in the last 4 rounds to test the waters , nothing changes and he won't leave then you finish your career in the Reggies, sad but two can play at this game.

3) Its a combination of the above two, he's rested , and brought back to test the waters and if not ok, see above.

The honourable thing to do would be to announce either his immediate retirement due to injury, or announce that 2016 is it, but as @susan has suggested there's not a snow flakes chance in hell that that's happening.

Reserves would be an incredibly hard way for a superstar to end their career but I agree 100% with @susan , our rebuild will be put back two years if he continues on into 2017 in the same manner as we are seeing.

It really comes down to this , if the coaching staff are actually running the side and not the psuedo coaching staff in the background there's 3 choices.

1) He's injured , if the medical staff think it's repairable , stand him down even for the rest of the year and get him fixed.

2) His head isn't in the right space , see above but bring him back in the last 4 rounds to test the waters , nothing changes and he won't leave then you finish your career in the Reggies, sad but two can play at this game.

3) Its a combination of the above two, he's rested , and brought back to test the waters and if not ok, see above.

The honourable thing to do would be to announce either his immediate retirement due to injury, or announce that 2016 is it, but as @susan has suggested there's not a snow flakes chance in hell that that's happening.

Reserves would be an incredibly hard way for a superstar to end their career but I agree 100% with @susan , our rebuild will be put back two years if he continues on into 2017 in the same manner as we are seeing.
Mark are you going to game?Maybe we could catch up for a beer.

Hard to get excited but I have to be there if our guys are going round.Will be interesting to see how Kapow responds to his suspension.Cant help but feel he may have been helpful in stopping their momentum yesterday.Will be a real test.He must know he has let the team down and owes them one.Winnable game if yesterday hurt them enough.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2