So Long & Thanks For All The Hits - RLW 23/6/16

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

bones

Bones Knows
Brookie bash artist Steve Matai at long odds to play for Manly again.
Tony Adams - RLW 23/6/16

Cult-hero centre Steve Matai has almost certainly played his last game for Manly.
The big hitter has been a favourite with the Brookvale faithful for over a decade and was ruled out for the season last week with a persistent neck injury.
Matai, 31, has a year to run on his contract but RLW has learned that Manly officials want to cut him loose for 2017.
Sources close to the veteran centre have revealed that Matai is prepared to retire- if Manly pay him for his final season next year.
Manly believe that Matai's problems with injury- he has struggled with neck problems for several seasons and bravely played on- have finally caught up with him. Matai played only eight games this season before club officials decided his neck needs surgery.
The hard-hitting centre also has a long judiciary record and is known to be a player targeted by referees because of his extremely aggressive, take-no-prisoners defensive style.
With star centre Jamie Lyon also retiring at the end of this season, it'll be very much the end of an era at Manly.
Sea Eagles recruit Dylan Walker, who's been uncomfortable at five-eighth, will fill one centre spot, while Tom Trbejovic, a superstar in the making who has played mainly wing and fullback this season, is likely to take the other.
Matai has been a loyal one-club man with 230 games for Manly since making his debut in 2005, scoring 91 tries.
The Kiwi-born hard man is one of the most respected - and feared - centres in the NRL with his hard running and brutal defence, but his body has taken a pounding and he has struggled to recover.
Several English clubs are keen on his services but he's established with his family on Sydney's northern beaches and doesn't want to make the big move to the northern hemisphere.

Hate it when the inevitable happens.
The positive about this? Two of my favourite Manly legends (Tooves and Matai) will now have gotten a year's pay for doing sweet fa - and both deserved.
Good luck to ya Stevie, we really will miss you.
And thanks for every hit, tackle bust, try, try assist, and even the odd goal. But most of all, thanks for leading by example!

Sad but inevitable is correct. He kind of needs to be saved from himself at this point if he wants a decent retirement (physically).

image.jpg

The selfish side of me still wants him back next year but if he genuinely feels it's the right time then I respect his decision .

Thanks for all the memories Steve. In a golden decade you were a Champion among Champions !

Haha show turbo this article will be good for laugh to see his reaction once again that tommy is primed for the centre position

Sad news, but still pissed off at the fact that he asked for a release in 2014 to go to the Warriors in 2015 for four years and we knocked him back, that would have been beneficial to both Steve and Manly
Yes he deserved a watmough like retirement payment from the warriors

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8