So much for Groome

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Wheel

https://membership.seaeagles.com.au/
Premium Member
OK, all those who bemoaned the loss of Aaron Groome last yeat can take heart that the Dogs obviously don't have a high opinion of him either.  :'( :p

From todays SMH:
AFTER picking up one discarded halfback in Joe Williams, the Bulldogs are set to announce that another, albeit a premiership winner in Brett Kimmorley, has agreed to join the club.

Maybe it's a fan thing then?  I remember reading comments somewhere and all the dog fans were hoping for a quick fix until Groome was ready.  But who knows, in the eyes of management, that could be in 2 years when Kimmorley's done.

Groom is having the same problem at the Dogs as he had at Manly.

Can't tackle and isn't good enough in the other parts of his game to make up for his defensive problems.

I do not understand how some of these guys can not tackle, it is not that hard, just takes some courage.  Defence can be fixed if the player has the right attitude.

If only it was that easy. When you are a halfback you are going to get a lot of 110kg+ traffic coming your way, and for these young guys it must be intimidating. Remember too, that these days an around the legs tackle (the staple defensive diet of the little guy) is virtually labelled ineffective because it doesn't tie up the ball or allow domination of the ruck through wrestle on the ground. It only takes one defensive lapse and it might cost your side the game and then you are labelled a turnstile. I agree it's a lot to do with courage, but technique and pure physics also play a hand. For the bigger halfbacks it's not such an issue, but the smaller (< 80kg) guys will struggle. Look at Preston. Not all halves are like Tooves who played well above his weight.

If you are small you generally have to go low, try and go high and you will fail most times. If you chop them down with a low tackle they do not get much time to get away a offload as they hit the ground quickly.  All the little halfbacks should look at Tooves technique, sure they might get their head in the wrong spot on the odd occasion but they will generally bring them down. I agree the big guys might be intimidating but they are playing NRL football and need to rip in.

Garts link said:
If you are small you generally have to go low, try and go high and you will fail most times. If you chop them down with a low tackle they do not get much time to get away a offload as they hit the ground quickly. 

Yep and then they are up just as quickly and therein lies another problem.

Garts link said:
I do not understand how some of these guys can not tackle, it is not that hard, just takes some courage.  Defence can be fixed if the player has the right attitude.

Having the right attitude all comes down to whether the player actually has the ticker to tackle. 

Toovey had plenty of ticker but Phil Blake didn't.

Some players are just better defensively than others. You can work on your technique and improve. In league you cannot hide on the field which is the problem with non-defensive players.

nodd link said:
Defence=heart

I couldn't agree more, out smallest player in the team i play in is our best defender. All the big fellas run at him and he brings them down everytime.
He had his jaw broken last year in a game delibrately but it didn't stop him. They tapped his jaw up and he played exactly the same way.
He couldnt speak so he just pointed where he wanted us to run, thats heart.
You either have it or you dont.
Tooves definately had it.

clontaago link said:
[quote author=Garts link=topic=177486.msg184477#msg184477 date=1210810749]
If you are small you generally have to go low, try and go high and you will fail most times. If you chop them down with a low tackle they do not get much time to get away a offload as they hit the ground quickly. 

Yep and then they are up just as quickly and therein lies another problem.
[/quote]

Very true but still better than being a turnstyle.

Matabele link said:
[quote author=Garts link=topic=177486.msg184474#msg184474 date=1210808148]
it is not that hard, just takes some courage. 

these blokes are Gen Y.
[/quote]

We are Gen y.
You are Vag y.

Groom can't be going too bad as the Bulldogs have picked him to play fg against the tits this week.

ROBERTS OUT GROOM TO DEBUT
15th May 2008 @ 6:25pm 
Mitsubishi Electric Bulldogs test pivot Ben Roberts will miss another week with the hamstring strain that sidelined him from last week's Test and club match against the Panthers.

Emerging talent Aaron Groom has been called up to make his Bulldogs first grade debut. Groom was unable to make the team flight to the Gold Coast this morning but will join the team early tomorrow morning.

Bulldogs latest signing Joe Williams, who signed with the Bulldogs yesterday, met most of his first grade team mates for the first time when he joined them on their flight this morning.

Williams completed his first session with the team when they trained late this afternoon at Skilled Stadium. The Bulldogs completed final preparations and familiarised themselves with the new surrounding, having never played at the brand new home ground of the Titans.

Daniel harrison is the one I am dirty on Manly losing.  It was well known that he had great ability with us and yet we let him go. 

Harrison goes alright but he is still a long way from firstgrade.

offerdahl and trembath looked better at the same age

Harro isn't that far from first grade.

I'd be very surprised if he didn't make the step up to first grade before the end of the season.

In terms of maturity he is head and shoulders above anybody else in the Toyota Cup. Defensively he is all class. Makes a heap of tackles and they're all quality. All heart. He's got a nice offload as well...

Oh, and from what I've heard he left Manly because he wanted to play in a successful team. He thought the Dogs had a better track record of bringing juniors through with a strong youth program.

Harrison has already been told that he will be in the dogs top 25 next year.  He will be a regualar first grader within 12 months.

We just don't have the money for our junior teams that some of the other clubs have.  Anyway the dogs with Kimmorley will be rubbish for the next 2 years and there is next to no chance of SBW staying with them longterm.

Sonny Bill eyes European rugby union

May 16, 2008

BULLDOGS star Sonny Bill Williams has escalated his interest in switching codes by sounding out former Wallabies coach Eddie Jones over a potential rugby union career in Europe.

It is believed Williams' management has held informal talks with Jones, now a coaching consultant at English club Saracens.

Williams, 22, is tied to a long-term deal with the Bulldogs but has been vocal about the prospect of switching codes and cashing in on his status as one of the NRL's marquee players. He is in the first year of a five-year deal worth $400,000 a season, but he believes he is being underpaid.

His earnings could be dwarfed by what's on offer should he find a home in English rugby union, where the salary cap will rise to $8.3million next season - more than double the NRL.

French rugby union, mooted as a possible destination for St George Illawarra centre Mark Gasnier, could be even more appealing. Several of France's top union clubs, including Stade Francais and Toulouse, budget for player payments of $13 million to $20million.

The riches on offer in France are already beginning to eat into southern hemisphere rugby union.

Over the past 12 months, former Wallabies captain George Gregan and ex-All Blacks captain Anton Oliver are among players to have moved to France, where they can earn upwards of $800,000 a year tax-free.

Former NSW and Australia halfback Craig Gower became the first prominent rugby league player to follow that path when he left at the end of last year to play union in France.

Williams has little to no experience in the rival code, but Jones has publicly stated he feels the Kiwi international would be a raging success in rugby, possibly as an outside centre.

A move to Europe would also allow Williams to escape the constant public scrutiny that comes with being a well-known player - one of the reasons Gower moved to France.

News of his interest in Europe will come as a sledgehammer blow to the NRL, given it is also battling to hang on to Gasnier.

Gasnier has been actively researching his options overseas for several weeks but chances of him leaving at the end of the season appear to be lengthening.

However, Gasnier, who has been taking advantage of a one-month window in his contract that allows him to look elsewhere, could move overseas at the end of next year.

By then, former NSW Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie would have a year under his belt at Stade Francais. McKenzie was instrumental in the Australian Rugby Union making a play for Gasnier in 2006.

The speculation over Gasnier's future yesterday prompted his NSW and Australia team-mate Willie Mason to warn something had to be done to keep players in the NRL. Asked whether increasing representative payments would suffice, Mason replied: "That's one way. But something has to be done because if we do lose Gaz, that would be an absolute shame to rugby league.

"He is one of the greats, I think, already and we need to get it sorted; do something; just keep him here."

Mason denied ongoing conjecture over Gasnier's future had an effect on NSW's preparations for the opening Origin game, next Wednesday at ANZ Stadium.

"It's not that big a drama," Mason said. "He just needs to sort some things out with his club, and then it'll be fine.

"We haven't really gone into it that much. It's not my business to talk about what he's doing.

"I'll support him whatever he does anyway."

Looks like their team for the next few years might consist of ex manly cast offs - Harrison. Groom and Cleal.  Maybe they are in the market for Moorewood, Robson, NBQ, willo, bryant lol

Before we get too sniffy about how we only let our bad players go, let's not forget that this time last year Cuthbertson was well on the outer and was not going to be offered a contract.  Eventually his form and the fans demanded his retention, but by rights we should have lost him had he not wanted to stay with his local club.

Now if you listen to the Channel 9 commentary teams he's the prototype of the modern forward!

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6