So what happened - Why was the site down?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
As you all know yesterday we had some issues with our DNS. At the same time we identified an issue with the way PHP was executing scripts. It was essentially running them as nobody and we needed them to be ran as "user".

we rebuilt PHP and fixed the DNS issues. We then enabled the new PHP module and tried to start the server this failed so we went back and revers some of what we had done.

I realised the issue was due to file ownership and then went to recursively change the owner and group of all the silvertails files......i was tired and made my biggest administrative mistake in years....I changed the owner ship of every file on our server :)

This meant the database and everything, the only fix was to slowly rebuild enough permissions to make a backup and from there reformat and rebuild the entire server..yep the whole thing, I was up until just after 4 and at that point decided I jsut couldn't stay up in order to get the servers running anymore so went to bed and just restored the site then.

The last problem is that the default install does not contain things like cURL and mbstring which we use for things like twitter. So I am just rebuilding PHP doing a restart and we are back underway.

Sorry for all the screw ups of late, this one will be the last....for at least a month :)

Dan, I can't completely understand everything that you've done but there's no need for you to say sorry.  A big, big thanks for all the work you've put in to this site and for late nights you've had.

I think most of us are just happy that we have somewhere where we can discuss all things about our beloved Sea Eagles.

Nate has also been a massive massive help, I will never be touching DNS without him again hahaha (that should be in caps right nate?)

The entire site is now back online. Please let me know if you see any errors or issues.

I might try and grab a shower now try and wake myself up....the lovely wife is on her way home from work with a big coffee for me before heading back, bless her soul

no need for an appology, we are all happy with what you do for us, 2 cans of Mother or redbull  is what you need

Had a can of XS..worked a treat and feel wide awake,

I agree with B_e.  There is no need for any apologies.  I'm sure that we all appreciate the work that both you and Nate put into this site.  I suppose that all of these unforeseen problems that have been happening lately is just bad timing with MWSE shutting their forum down and then directing their members over here only to find that it is down.

As for any errors, the only one that I have come across so far was that the forum time was out again but I have fixed that in my profile.

Yep it was bad timing but from now on it will be 100% fine and should be nice and fast.

The time offset in your profile needs to be set to "0" and then it will be fine

Pah!...This never happened when Aaron was running the MWSE forum (membership has its privileges.)

I can’t believe you just shut down a forum without giving us any notice – this will do irreparable damage to your brand and I for one will go and support someone else!!!

LOL Just joking mate!  :D  – sounds like a nightmare but well done and thanks heaps in getting it back on line so quickly – just goes to show the amount of time and effort that running a site entails so thanks as always for the work you put in to allow us a forum to use

Yeh,good effort,Dan.Didn't even know half of what you said in your post,but it works,so that's good enough for me.And Vid-you sh*tstirrer!!

In a nutshell, there was a small issue and I made it bigger :)

Dan link said:
As you all know yesterday we had some issues with our DNS. At the same time we identified an issue with the way PHP was executing scripts. It was essentially running them as nobody and we needed them to be ran as \"user\".

we rebuilt PHP and fixed the DNS issues. We then enabled the new PHP module and tried to start the server this failed so we went back and revers some of what we had done.

I realised the issue was due to file ownership and then went to recursively change the owner and group of all the silvertails files......i was tired and made my biggest administrative mistake in years....I changed the owner ship of every file on our server :)

This meant the database and everything, the only fix was to slowly rebuild enough permissions to make a backup and from there reformat and rebuild the entire server..yep the whole thing, I was up until just after 4 and at that point decided I jsut couldn't stay up in order to get the servers running anymore so went to bed and just restored the site then.

The last problem is that the default install does not contain things like cURL and mbstring which we use for things like twitter. So I am just rebuilding PHP doing a restart and we are back underway.

Sorry for all the screw ups of late, this one will be the last....for at least a month :)
My head hurts

The basic version

- > error
-> fix error, find another error
-> fix error make even bigger issue
-> take down everything and start again :)

Dan link said:
The basic version

- > error
-> fix error, find another error
-> fix error make even bigger issue
-> take down everything and start again :)

Sounds like you need to start doing some regular back ups Dan. Great effort mate, it is appreciated.

Are you doing the hosting from your own sever or virtual? Me thinks you you are doing it from your own

It's a virtual private server. (basically it's a virtual machine, with full root access)

I do regular backups but that wouldn't have helped last night as the entire operating system and cpanel was rooted and going through to reset the permissions of apache, cpanel etc just would have taken days.

So just had to do the basics backup and then reinstall the OS, cpanel etc. Funnily enough the longest part is installing cpanel.

Just NOT good enough Dan.... (that you couldn't make it through to day break).

Seriously guys it's why we MUST help Dan find some more sponsors, he has one now (me)...we need more.

Whilst I know he's not expecting payment for doing this, he at least needs to have the very best of everything and not have to buy it out of his pocket.

Dan a suggestion that might be worth chasing, and come on everyone thinking caps on for some more.

Brookvale Travelodge ( heaps and heaps of people stay there)

On behalf on everyone who only understood about half of all what the problem was lol - don't stress and don't apologise. s**t happens mate. We're all still here  ;D

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4