Some good news

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
NRL premiership win helps Manly Sea Eagles out of financial black hole

A $1.3 million premiership windfall has released the financial pressure valve on Manly's co-owners, who were forced to rely on NRL grant advances to keep the club running earlier this year.

Last week's bonanza outstripped the 2008 bounty by about $500,000, all but relieving the need for Sea Eagles benefactors to stump up more cash than the $600,000 they have already contributed to balance the books so far this season.

The Daily Telegraph can also reveal the new premiers are in negotiations to open their title defence in blockbusting style next year, with a grand final re-match in Auckland followed by a round two showdown against bitter rivals Wests Tigers in Gosford.

Without a major sponsor and relying on the NRL's generosity, the code's one-time glamour club was bracing for a $1.4 million loss just a few short months ago.

But the acquisition of jersey-front naming rights holder Kaspersky and some finals series initiatives pinched from last year's premiers, St George Illawarra, have been instrumental in putting Manly back on even keel.

New CEO David Perry - a former sponsorship boss at the Dragons - unashamedly copied his former club's business model, setting-up a live site at Brookvale Oval and ramping-up membership and merchandise campaigns well in advance of the decider.

As a result, more than $650,000 worth of gear was sold during grand final week, and the club's 2012 membership already stands at 2600.

"Historically the club has had challenges because of limited corporate facilities at Brookvale Oval," Perry said.

"The key was being prepared to take full advantage of making a grand final. We were prepared better this year than 2008 to take advantage of the commercial opportunity."

Manly Leagues Club chairman Bob Reilly said the heat was on him and fellow co-owners - the Penn family and Quantum - to balance the books until the team triumphed.

Manly sought multiple advances on annual grants to get by, and weathered months without payment to be back on even terms with the NRL."This really gets us out of a hole," Reilly said.

"It would have been another case of open the chequebooks to cover losses, but we all might not need to contribute anything extra after this fantastic result."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-premiership-win-helps-manly-sea-eagles-out-of-financial-black-hole/story-e6frexnr-1226158481902

The away games are possibly an outcome from the next stage of the Brookvale upgrade - that is Stage 4. And I think some carryover work from Stage 3.

Well I was glad I made the hall of fame at the Manly outlet store last Saturday - and therefore making my contribution to balancing the books - instead of spending it at Peter Wynn's store in Parramatta.

I have to say the marketing drive in GF week as excellent. The materials arrived in time, were decent and did a good job of upselling. Just a shame they had that idiot Vautin turncoat on them, I hope we didn't pay him.

Hopefully it will continue with some more savy marketing of premiership merchandise leading up to Xmas.

I am pretty sure they will get a few more hundred out of me

It has been great, but I have to question the 10th paragraph

Is this right???

The Daily Telegraph can also reveal the new premiers are in negotiations to open their title defence in blockbusting style next year, with a grand final re-match in Auckland followed by a round two showdown against bitter rivals Wests Tigers in Gosford.

We don't get to see our team unveil the premiership flag at Brookvale until the 4th or 5th round!!
Bloody stupid if you ask me.

Bob Reilly makes it sound as though he would have been dipping into his own pockets to part fund any loss.

Bloody stupid to not go for the cash. The club needs it because of the state of Brooky. If we get an upgrade to the ground, then we won't need to go to other places to unfurl future premiership flags.

well done Perry, Larissa and the club!! That is awesome news!! Let's get this club competing financially!! Keep it going Perry!!

To keep our stars, Des and Crusher as well!! We have to give away blockbuster games and get guaranteed dough, like at Bluetongue!! It's a small price to pay to keep us AT THE TOP ON THE FIELD!!

I am surprised they didn't mention the part this site and Mark played in it as well

no, bloody stupid is having continual million dollar losses, going to the nrl for extra money and then keep doing the same ole thing the next year and the next!!! We need to look outside the present "model" that is basically destroying the club!! We need someone with experience like Perry!!

O'Reilly has to be extra smart trying to generate cash for the club. This will only help us in the future. We are getting in a mindset that people will keep bailing us out!!! Penn, Quantam, Leagues etc, it isn't sustainable. Perry will be making unpopular decisions for sure but he has too.

I got to the ANZ stadium at about 3:30pm and the merchandise store had already run out of some items. There were a few disappointed supporters and great to see the club cashing in on its success, they just need to keep the momentum going.

Darren said:
no, bloody stupid is having continual million dollar losses, going to the nrl for extra money and then keep doing the same ole thing the next year and the next!!! We need to look outside the present "model" that is basically destroying the club!! We need someone with experience like Perry!!

So, what you suggest is stuff us 'local' fans, play every game at Suncorp or Blue Tongue and give Brookie a miss!
If that's the case I'll be cancelling my 2012 membership.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2