Some of Russell Crowe's thoughts on the game

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Did anyone remember hearing Crowe's thoughts on SOO matches.

He said he would like to see SOO teams picked and played after the GF.

And the same for the Australian test side/s to be picked after the GF / SOO have both been played that way you can pick the best players that have played through out the whole season.

He also said something along the lines of the NRL ? should give the clubs an extra $ one million per year.

some of his thoughts are pretty out there
but u cant fault the blokes passion

ive always been a fan of crowe.

yeah agreed.
i think fatty said something about ... if we did it that way RL wouldn't finish until XMAS :D actually what is wrong with that? (personally i find cricket boring as)

btw, Fatty's complete lack of solidarity is alarming, is that guy even considered a supporter anymore?

but back on topic, i think Rusty's ideas have some merit. Not sure about moving SOO, but making clubs part of a new NEWS LTD FREE organisation is a AWESOME idea. clubs might even become profitable....

He supported DSM5's suggestion of an EPL style board where the clubs have a seat at the table. He justified it by saying they are all bleeding money and their stake to get it right is higher than some bureaucratic autocratic self-interested empire of clerks drawing fat salaries. He actually didn't say the last part but I am sure he was thinking it!

He also recommended mid-week games so that the season intensity doesn't drop off. He wanted the best players selected for SOO by following the time-honoured formula of minor through to top level rep games (City-Country etc) so that only the very best get selected at SOO level.

He agreed that SOO was one of the pinacles of the game. He said that the way it currently works there is a build-up, a big drop-off in interest then another build-up. He likened it to a movie or stage show - if the crescendo was in the middle the audience would have gone home before the show was over. He is not exactly on the money but his thoughts are worth considering.

Can't see the midweek games gaining support with the players given the rugged, injury prone nature of the game.  Ignoring the risk of long-term overexposure, TV schedulers might approve, but how many would turn up to watch Tuesday/Wednesday games?  The other suggestions are well worth looking in to. 

Getting rid of the scourge of incompetent and meddling News Ltd control is the ideal.

love to see it happen, and possibly a champions league style cup eg top 3 teams verse english sides as Grant called for.

Or what i think would be great would be imagine Manly v Australia or Manly v NSW / QLD, meaning the winner of the NRL competition verses the winner of the Quad nations or winner of state of origin.

In fact that got me thinking perhaps lets say Manly v winner of Origin then the winner of that match v winner of quad nations. Would be interesting but its just an idea.

His idea of the rep season being carried out post GF sound all very nice, but realistically it'll never happen. The guys play a long season as it is and whilst SOO is probably held in high regard the rest of the rep calender is tolerated, not aspired to. Most players would put winning a premiership before rep honours.

Chip & Chase link said:
His idea of the rep season being carried out post GF sound all very nice, but realistically it'll never happen. The guys play a long season as it is and whilst SOO is probably held in high regard the rest of the rep calender is tolerated, not aspired to. Most players would put winning a premiership before rep honours.

After week 18 of the comp have 3 straight weeks off for origin. Then you can have the 8 weeks of great footy leading into the finals.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8