Some very telling statistics post-Des

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

simon_eagle

Reserve Grader
Just heard on ABC Grandstand some telling statistics regarding Manly..

We were the 3rd best team in 2011 in terms of tackle completions.
So far this season we are the 3rd worst...

Choc is the worst offender, missing on average 4 tackles a game. Matai follows him with an average of 3.5 missed tackles per game.

Also, in terms of metres gained, we are down by 130 metres per game while at the same time, we're conceding - on average - 90 more metres per game from last season.

Grand Final hang-over or the sign of things to come, post-Des?

Sorry for bringing this up now after that fantastic win on Friday... but I just thought I'd share what I heard on the radio.

At no stage last year did we have 4 internationals sitting on the sidelines for extended periods. Round 1 was as close to fullstrength as we have been we were missing Big Joe and George and Gift and Matai only played half that game. You cannot compare until we are running at full strength or near to it i.e only missing 1 or 2 players at most for short periods of 1 or 2 weeks only.

mickqld said:
At no stage last year did we have 4 internationals sitting on the sidelines for extended periods. Round 1 was as close to fullstrength as we have been we were missing Big Joe and George and Gift and Matai only played half that game. You cannot compare until we are running at full strength or near to it i.e only missing 1 or 2 players at most for short periods of 1 or 2 weeks only.

This!!

mickqld said:

and also, we don't have Robbo or Hoppa Jnr this year either.

torana355 said:
mickqld said:

This!!

Second this!!

The opening eight rounds of 2011 to the opening eight rounds of 2009 may be a fairer comparison. Both times defending premiers, both times returning from a trip to Leeds, both times a heap of injuries. I heard that on the ABC today. It was Debbie Spillane was it not? Another Rebecca 'I hate Manly' Wilson if ever there was one.

mickqld said:

I can't argue with that and with your optimism :)

bones said:
The opening eight rounds of 2011 to the opening eight rounds of 2009 may be a fairer comparison. Both times defending premiers, both times returning from a trip to Leeds, both times a heap of injuries. I heard that on the ABC today. It was Debbie Spillane was it not? Another Rebecca 'I hate Manly' Wilson if ever there was one.

Yeah Spillane fits right in with the Bulldogs. A more spiteful, vindictive Manly hater you will ever come across.

Eagles2nv said:
torana355 said:
mickqld said:

This!!

Second this!!

Third this.

Also was our scheduling the same as last year? There are too many variables for these stats to be statisticly significant at this time of year.

bones said:
I heard that on the ABC today. It was Debbie Spillane was it not? Another Rebecca 'I hate Manly' Wilson if ever there was one.

No, she was the host I believe. They had a guest on, who was a stats-man. Tim somebody.

simon_eagle said:
bones said:
I heard that on the ABC today. It was Debbie Spillane was it not? Another Rebecca 'I hate Manly' Wilson if ever there was one.

No, she was the host I believe. They had a guest on, who was a stats-man. Tim somebody.

More likely Tim Nobody if it was a guest Spillane had on.

simon_eagle said:
bones said:

Tim Greenberg

Statistics! Phewie! They never tell a full story. A bloke who plays a full 80 minutes and busts his guts to make as many tackles as possible will obviously miss more than a player who doesn't try to tacklle. Likewise, the more you handle the ball the more you'll make an error.

Take this as an example: On Friday night Jamie Lyon was credited with 0 mistakes. We all know that he made two very serious errors of judgement, but these are not recorded. Tautufa (sic) was credited with plenty of errors although three of them came from strips not recorded.

Please. Lets get away from the importance of stats, except the score. We know when a player plays well/poorly!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4