Souths Copied Us -- Delmege

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
IF IT wasn't bad enough that they think Souths are more deserving of the "silvertails" tag, now Manly are taking much of the credit for the Rabbitohs' success.

Max Delmege, who along with fellow businessman Scott Penn has a majority stake in the Sea Eagles, revealed Rabbitohs co-owner Peter Holmes a Court met him during the infancy of his bid with actor Russell Crowe to take control of the club.

"Yes, Souths, through Peter Holmes a Court, rang me about it, he asked me about it, and I did explain it all to him," Delmege said. "It's exactly the same model. Except that they have owners who have a much higher profile.

"But that's fine. We don't have a problem with that. I'd just rather the coaches and the players be the ones who are getting all the publicity. Our club is controlled by the CEO, the coaches and the players. All we are are a few people putting in some dough to keep the club afloat."

After Delmege's comments, Holmes a Court said yesterday he was attempting to keep a low profile this week, although he confirmed the Souths model was largely based on Manly.

"I met with Scott Penn, who's a good personal friend of mine, and I saw the model he put forward to Manly. Max bought me lunch and I'm very happy for that," he said.

The build-up to the sides' most-recent clash - Souths' 24-18 win in round 23 - was dominated by bickering. Delmege suggested the Rabbitohs deserved the silvertail tag more because the Sea Eagles couldn't afford Armani suits, while Holmes a Court responded by saying: "Let's see if more than 100 of them [Manly fans] turn up to the game."

Delmege conceded the Rabbitohs' making the finals in the first full season with the new ownership team in charge was a significant effort.

"I can't take anything away from them," he said, even hoping "for a great patronage of their supporters".

Still, one thing is certain, Souths' former chairman George Piggins will not be among them. Despite being coach of the previous Souths side to play in the finals, Piggins told the Herald yesterday he would not attend the game.

"I'm in litigation with some of these people," Piggins said. "The way they discredited me … what for? I was there for 40 years. Anybody could have come to get the vote the way they did. They didn't have to be critical of me.

"I'll be watching. I've watched every game this year. But I'll watch them from TV. It's as simple as that."

smh.com.au

Let the baiting begin. Man, Piggins is a dinosaur. He is still stuck in 1960.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8