Souths Game

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

dowdz

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
After all the talk about the Matai hit, and the spear tackles, were we really out muscled and buried by Souths like i have read in various articles?

I thought if a few things had gone our way, bounce of the ball in the 1st half, and some refs with a brain, we had the game. Don't get me wrong Souths were very good and maybe they deserved the win, but were we really out muscled and buried as suggested?

Just thought it would good to get some opinions about the game after the media trial against our dirty tactics.

no way dowdz,I have also heard some say,they thought the better team lost and our forwards were all over their so called big boppers

This is my impression; not a lot went right for us and it could have been 18 zip at halftime.

On the other hand, everything went right for Souths.

We must have bombed about 3 tries in the first half. Symonds no try was bull****. A match fit gift next game we will kill them

When there are 23 penalties in a game you know who decided the match. Besides that the forward pack was good it was a case of missed opportunities on the fringes.

23 penalty's belongs in a game of netball or union. I'd like too see the stats on average penalty count per game this year vs last year. They seem to be blowing the pea out of the whistle this year.

Our execution was not up to the standard that it needed to be against one of the top sides. Actually I think our execution has been off for most games this year. We have won all our games on solid D, but against a top attacking side like the bunnies you need good D and you need to take all your chances, you won't get them often.

We will need to improve if we want to beat the storm and roosters in a couple of weeks.

Souths came to Brookie as underdogs and encountered a fierce, fired-up Manly. Yet they maintained composure, never looked panicked, and took their few chances well.

They are better than I thought, they will roll over the top of most teams, and will be extremely confident come finals time.

I think that we had it all over them in the early stages, our kicks were just that little too long. As Commander said we could of been 18 - 0. It would of been a totally different ballgame after that.
Out muscled no way our forward pack was more dominant.

We lost this match because we were too frantic with the ball and over hyped in defence.

We were certainly not out muscled, just out smarted on this occasion, the vermin took all their chances and we squandered ours. The refereeing was questionable, if they allow Suttons try they have to allow Symonds one as well.

the stats dont lie, we made more line breaks, 6-2 and over 300 more metres but our execution let us down, too many hail Mary plays and not enough repeat sets to wear the vermin down.

All is not lost, we know that if we control the ball, we can beat any side.

When I look at the stats for this game I am in total disbelief that we lost. If both sides were to play the same game over and over I'm thinking that we would probably win 8 times out of 10.

Souths made a little bit of luck for themselves (Inglis made a lot with his forward somersaults) but the stars really aligned for a Souths victory on Friday.

Seeing the Burgess boys get rattled was worth the price of admission alone.

It makes for an interesting clash come rd 23 at the business end of the year.

all the penalties we get are a joke - early in the tackle count or when a match has been decided eg 79th minute of shonks game was our only second half penalty - if the refs could put the ball across the line for our opponents THEY WOULD. Most Souffs pens were late in tackle count making them more effective and we still should have won - souffs cant play better and have more luck than that - guess what WE CAN.

I'll dare say that Souths will lose this weekend.
Sides that generally beat us usually pull up sore and sorry the following week

Manly's game plan came straight from the BlueTongue Stadium clash last year when Lyon gave Matt King a bath. This time it was the Lyon/Wolfman combo against Goodwin/Merritt. Merritt's tendency to run infield was there to see and he was lucky to knock down a pass to Wolf to stop a certain try. A fair enough tactic , but not at the almost total expense of Matai/Taufua versus Champion/Everingham.

Manly's attack looks too flat when in the opposition's 20 metre zone, immediately putting pressure on the ball carrier/intended ball carrier. There's nothing to lose by standing deeper in attack .

driftout said:
Manly's game plan came straight from the BlueTongue Stadium clash last year when Lyon gave Matt King a bath. This time it was the Lyon/Wolfman combo against Goodwin/Merritt. Merritt's tendency to run infield was there to see and he was lucky to knock down a pass to Wolf to stop a certain try. A fair enough tactic , but not at the almost total expense of Matai/Taufua versus Champion/Everingham.

Manly's attack looks too flat when in the opposition's 20 metre zone, immediately putting pressure on the ball carrier/intended ball carrier. There's nothing to lose by standing deeper in attack .

You cause more problems than you solve by standing deeper a very simplistic view that mostly died in the 90's.

At times a touch more deepness does help, you can actually get around some up and in defences sucking them in way too early with the lead outside back runners.

You don't want to make a habit of standing deeper as it promotes

1)Side ways running,

2)Hole runners not sucking in the defensive line/not forcing a defensive read.

3)Outside backs not knowing when to run and stand flat footed.

4)Receiving an early pass with space to move but an easy read allowing defensive structures to slide and wait for the attack to unfold with a flood of defensive numbers.

The old stand deeper and run onto the ball is old school, you should not require a mile of space to generate speed or even timing in the modern game.

IQofalimabean said:
When there are 23 penalties in a game you know who decided the match. Besides that the forward pack was good it was a case of missed opportunities on the fringes.

Talk about evening up the penalty count.

Four of our penalties were on the first tackle while we were peppering their line.
This gave more time to get set and allowed them to slow our momentum.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2