Souths Smash Manly From: The Daily Telegraph

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rambo1987

Bencher
South Sydney beat Manly in trial February 07, 2010 8:11PM Increase Text SizeDecrease Text SizePrintEmail Share
Add to DiggAdd to del.icio.usAdd to FacebookAdd to KwoffAdd to MyspaceAdd to NewsvineWhat are these? Strong start...Sam Burgess in action in his first competitive start for South Sydney in their trial match against Manly at Redfern. Picture: Gregg Porteous Source: The Daily Telegraph
ENGLISH import Sam Burgess got his Australian league career off to a flying start by scoring a try in his debut for South Sydney against Manly in their NRL trial today.
Prop Burgess, who only played the first quarter of the match against a third-string Manly side, reached out to score Souths Sydney's first try of the match in the 11th minute.

Souths were 12-0 down at the time and Burgess' try started a recovery that saw them score 42 unanswered points to win the match 42-12 in front of 5000 fans at the redeveloped Redfern Oval.

Earlier, Burgess had fronted a team medical in Coogee as the NRL team for Saturday's inaugural All Stars match against an indigenous side on the Gold Coast went into camp.

SOUTH SYDNEY 42 (Sam Burgess, Adam Reynolds, Jason Clark, Brock Molan, Kennedy Pettyborne, Josh Mansour, Curtis Johnston, Matt Mundine tries; Adam Reynolds 4, Eddie Paea goals)  MANLY 12 (Mitch Jowett, Phil Morwood tries; Daly Cherry-Evans 2 goals)

Oh well, at least the Telecrap did acknowledge that it was only the 3rd string Manly side. It was a meaningless nothing game anyway.

Who paid for the Redfern Development?  I wouldn't be surprised if they scored millions in government funds so they could host a trial every two years.

Jethro link said:
Oh well, at least the Telecrap did acknowledge that it was only the 3rd string Manly side. It was a meaningless nothing game anyway.

I know we didnt have a great team but neither did they
The Rabbitohs’ Return to Redfern 2010 team is:

1. Josh Mansour
2. Kane Morgan
3. Dylan Farrell
4. Junior Vaivai
5. Shaune Corrigan
6. Luke Capewell
7. Adam Reynolds
8. Sam Burgess
9. Nathan Peats
10. Jacob Nansen
11. Deon Apps
12. David Taylor Didnt play
13. Jason Clark (c)
Interchange:
14. Dave Tyrrell
15. Josh Starling
16. Jack Tulemau
17. Blake Judd
18. Eddie Paea
19. Curtis Johnston
20. Brock Molan
21. Kennedy Pettyborne
22. Matt Mundine
23. John Kaifoto
24. Zeb Tawha
25. Andre Itula
26. Jake Shearer

Highlighted players who have first grade experience

Jethro link said:

Jethro mate - $20 bucks says it wasn't just a nothing game. It was to watch a reinactment of David and Goliath.

Matabele link said:
Who paid for the Redfern Development?  I wouldn't be surprised if they scored millions in government funds so they could host a trial every two years.

Open ground to the public - $25 Mill I think but that blew out.

If Redfern Oval is going to be open to the public it won't be long before it needs renovations.

Rambo1987 link said:
[quote author=Jethro link=topic=182405.msg251205#msg251205 date=1265535483]

I know we didnt have a great team but neither did they
The Rabbitohs’ Return to Redfern 2010 team is:

1. Josh Mansour
2. Kane Morgan
3. Dylan Farrell
4. Junior Vaivai
5. Shaune Corrigan
6. Luke Capewell
7. Adam Reynolds
8. Sam Burgess
9. Nathan Peats
10. Jacob Nansen
11. Deon Apps
12. David Taylor Didnt play
13. Jason Clark (c)
Interchange:
14. Dave Tyrrell
15. Josh Starling
16. Jack Tulemau
17. Blake Judd
18. Eddie Paea
19. Curtis Johnston
20. Brock Molan
21. Kennedy Pettyborne
22. Matt Mundine
23. John Kaifoto
24. Zeb Tawha
25. Andre Itula
26. Jake Shearer

Highlighted players who have first grade experience
[/quote]

I know your point - and I agree with you, in reality the only player  likely to play much first grade only played the first 20 minutes - but other guys who have played first grade but didn't get bolded are Junior Vaivai, Jason Clark and Dave Tyrell.

Also interesting to see Zeb Tawha in their lineup. I believe he is a manly junior, who has spent the last couple of years in Melbourne's system.

Matabele, something of the order of $25 million.  Funnily enough Holmes a Court donated a sizeable amount of dollars to the reelection fund of Clover Moore at the last election.  Should be an ICAC referral for the Liberals when they get into power.  Interresting that Crowe made Burgess's dead dad a member of Souths.  I only thought the Mormons could convert the dead.   

Matabele link said:
If Redfern Oval is going to be open to the public it won't be long before it needs renovations.

DSM5 link said:
Matabele, something of the order of $25 million.  Funnily enough Holmes a Court donated a sizeable amount of dollars to the reelection fund of Clover Moore at the last election.  Should be an ICAC referral for the Liberals when they get into power.  Interresting that Crowe made Burgess's dead dad a member of Souths.  I only thought the Mormons could convert the dead.   

Icac are useless as they don't investigate most matters referred to them - in the too hard or don't want to convict our labor mates basket

Sunday at Redfern was like the Eagles lovefest day at the Diggers on Friday, but on a much grander scale. Redfern Oval is pretty ordinary despite the redevelopment. Porta-loos were the only option in the GA area and with the rain it was sinking down to the top of the foot in any grassed area. I came home with mud in all sorts of places and very wet.

I have to hand it to the Bunny officials. As a day for the faithful it was a huge success. The opening by an aboriginal elder, the introduction of past great players, celebrities and oldie players in a touch game, the honour roll call of the 1970 GF victors, the introduction of the new players with their jerseys, the walk around the oval by the whole squad to shake hands with the fans. It was what the crowd wanted and they served it up. It is something I would like to see more of from Manly if the opportunity is possible.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4