spam emails and malware

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
So, I assume I'm not the only one getting spammed plenty in recent times ..
And not even talking about the Craig Kelly type bs political texts. Or the texts about 'your pakij couldn't be delivered so click on this trustworthy link to lose all your money'. Or, in recent weeks I've had calls to my mobile (unanswered) from Russia, Ukraine, Philippines ...(!)

But in particular - I've recently been getting some rather sinister & disturbing looking emails with headings such as Machine Pistol, Your Survival tool, Gun Calliber, and the like. I tend to delete without even looking at them (I saw one which said 2 bonus machetes!)

Given we are typically advised not to click on any link in random emails I assume that includes eg 'click this harmless link to unsubscribe'. So I haven't.

Which means ... there is no solution, other than to delete without opening as soon as I see them?? Is that right?

(On a related topic - I've used Norton anti-virus for some years but recently they keep bombarding me with ads about various dark web dangers or what-not and wanting me to buy more products to protect from them. If they can provide that protection .... isn't that what I've been paying them for already???!!!)

:mad:

Delete is the best way to go if you don't know the sender.

I gave up on the antivirus software after what went down with McPhee, I do the regular windows updates (no good if you have MacBook etc) to keep secure along with what website traffic I go to.

I do the training refresher each year with work on phishing emails etc, if you want a PowerPoint on it I can forward on?

Thanks but don't worry about the power point.
Just received another, 'Tactical Items'.
I'm actually considering reporting these to the AFP, importing firearms is a pretty serious offense

So, I assume I'm not the only one getting spammed plenty in recent times ..
And not even talking about the Craig Kelly type bs political texts. Or the texts about 'your pakij couldn't be delivered so click on this trustworthy link to lose all your money'. Or, in recent weeks I've had calls to my mobile (unanswered) from Russia, Ukraine, Philippines ...(!)

But in particular - I've recently been getting some rather sinister & disturbing looking emails with headings such as Machine Pistol, Your Survival tool, Gun Calliber, and the like. I tend to delete without even looking at them (I saw one which said 2 bonus machetes!)

Given we are typically advised not to click on any link in random emails I assume that includes eg 'click this harmless link to unsubscribe'. So I haven't.

Which means ... there is no solution, other than to delete without opening as soon as I see them?? Is that right?

(On a related topic - I've used Norton anti-virus for some years but recently they keep bombarding me with ads about various dark web dangers or what-not and wanting me to buy more products to protect from them. If they can provide that protection .... isn't that what I've been paying them for already???!!!)

:mad:
Do you access your email account on shared devices or computers ? Is your email account associated with your IT provider or is it one of the open free email accounts.

Reason I ask is as they are targeted emails about specific related items it is possible someone who shares a device or email tag may have been searching for related things and triggered autobot promotion / spam software.

Some email accounts you can configure to associate selected words with spam so that the email doesn't show in your inbox and goes straight to spam folder.

At the very least, rather than just delete the email, all email accounts have an option to mark as spam, meaning any further emails from that associated addy will go straight to spam.

I'm not IT but hope that helps.

I just built out the cyber security / risk function at my work.

After doing little else for the past three months all I can say is good luck and god bless (and I am an atheist)

Antivirus wont stop spam. Phishin is a pain in the butt generally check the link before you click on it, no substitute for that simple step, rather than click on buttons I copy and paste the link into the browse

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6