Speed of game suits Hodges

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
A standout last weekend was the speed in the ruck which was taken advantage of by the speedy 9's like Segeyaro & whoever that Eels rake was who carved shreds in the opposition all day.
Not sure it would have been a super advantage last weekend as it works on the back of a rolling forward pack & quick play the balls.
Only think it will become a bigger factor as the season continues with coaches exploiting this area, winning the game from inside out.
It also gives extra space & time for the halves & Snake to wreak havoc out wide like Sandow & Norman did last Friday....will see what happens but there is fair arguement the go forward needs to improve before making room for this to evolve.

You are right Maxta but, if you've got great halves and a ball playing second row you gain more. Ballin may not have the explosive speed of some but his distribution is exceptional.

The ability of Segeyaro and Peats etc comes back to poor defence in the ruck area, usually from bigger forwards struggling to make their feet when the play the ball occurs and clearing the ruck.

• 👍
Reactions: Dan
You are right Maxta but, if you've got great halves and a ball playing second row you gain more. Ballin may not have the explosive speed of some but his distribution is exceptional.

The ability of Segeyaro and Peats etc comes back to poor defence in the ruck area, usually from bigger forwards struggling to make their feet when the play the ball occurs and clearing the ruck.
Some good valid points rmd - especially when we are not winning the collisions like last week.
However in this modern game its almost impossible to defend the quick men in the ruck - in fact , I am confident you will see more of the speedy outside backs exploiting the ridiculous advantage in coming weeks...it will change the dominance of the big men unless they can get a good shot on to dominate the tackle which again, cannot be sustained with the pace of the current game....

Hodges would need to defend better than he did against Souths in the final series last year
Take into consideration he took a bad knock early & played on....also came back to play a rugged Dogs pack, scoring a try & adding much needed spark in at times - a dull attacking team.
Probably make more sense in coming weeks as this ruck area is exploited more & more, is he the perfect answer? - not sure - still a Ballin fan & maybe when Taufua & Buhrer get back they will be used in this area, still imo the new rules suit the Hodges style 9 - if only for even 25 minutes a game at the back end of the halves..

Can't defend any worse then Friday night's effort....lol. He could be useful against tired defense

All I can say us Hodges was the spark that lit the fire in the semi v dogs also he was a stand out in the trial v sharks

I think we need variety around the ruck and Hodges can give us that spark. We need an injection of pace and to give Matty a breather from time to time.

Personally, I think James Segeyaro is taking giant strides towards the elite company in our game. He is one of the most dynamic hookers I have ever seen play the game. One of the best things I saw him do on the weekend was not the flashiest. He had the ball in hand, summed up the situation, saw space on the flank, thought about throwing a miracle ball, saw Soward outside him and correctly decided to just dish off and let Jamie do his thing; Soward threw a beautiful cut out pass to Jennings who went over for the try.

He is obviously a thinker, who plays what's in front of him, but picks his moments all the same. It's a wonderful trait in a hooker, because they have the ball in their hands more than any other player on the field.

As for Ballin, well I don't think there is a better defender with crisper service in the game, outside of maybe Cameron Smith.

I am a fan of Hodges in attack. Need a speedy guy like him that holds the ball out when he runs esp now Cherry gone. Hookers are so important for attack. Needs to get stronger in defence though.

The speed of the game seems to really suit the Titans...:p

Here's a big call from me. You ready? - By years end, James Segeyaro will be second only to Cam Smith as Australia's best hooker. He's been quietly building over the last few years and I think he's almost there. It wouldn't surprise me to see him in a Qld jersey if Smith is out for any reason at SOO time.

I know he was trying to make himself available to play for Qld, did he succeed??

The speed of the game seems to really suit the Titans...:p

Here's a big call from me. You ready? - By years end, James Segeyaro will be second only to Cam Smith as Australia's best hooker. He's been quietly building over the last few years and I think he's almost there. It wouldn't surprise me to see him in a Qld jersey if Smith is out for any reason at SOO time.

I know he was trying to make himself available to play for Qld, did he succeed??

Yes he is available he is in the emerging squad and i agree he is a star.

http://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2014/12/17/segeyaro_selected_in.html

Up with Issac Luke as the best running 9 in the game.....Smith still the best at getting his forwards on a roll & all round game....but in the tight game seasons end don't be surprised to see Luke/Segeyaro break more games open individually - its what the modern game offers to quick dummy halves.
Not 100% on where it will lead as more quick players scoot the old school big boppers will be exposed & really hoping this does not make the monster forwards extinct down the track....

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6