Spending to the Cap in Toyota Cup

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
Some may have missed this but after the Grand Final at Brookvale Live, Scott Penn announced that in 2012 Manly would be spending to the cap in Toyota Cup.

I wonder if this was a point of difference between the board and the coaching staff? Our 20s results this year were awful, after some good seasons in the years prior.

Implications of this are that we have not been spending near other clubs at this level and my guess is that we don't get near the cap at NSW Cup level either.

Well in that situation, who is right? The board for looking further into the future or the coaching staff? I'll go with the board.

Can only spend to the cap when you can afford it.

Perry seems to have made inroads there but now looks like he might be booted by the new board for getting rid of Zorbas role.

Cant win

This was something that peeved Dessie from memory, lack of funds for the NYC and NSW Cup sides.

Fluffy said:

Perry seems to have made inroads there but now looks like he might be booted by the new board for getting rid of Zorbas role.

Cant win

I hope they keep him (Perry) short term pain, long term gain.

eagles2win said:
Fluffy said:

Cant win

Buit why couldn't he keep Des and still have long term gain?

Fluffy said:

Cant win

Do you think if the board was cohesive that funding would have flowed better and put the club in a better financial situation.

Lets not forget part of the reason why we performed so poorly in the Toyota Cup is we played a lot of players who were eligible in higher grades. IMO if you set out to win the lower grades your doing yourself a disservice. The no 1 priority of the lower grades should be development. The goal of each Toyota Cup year should be to get maybe 2 players out of that squad being a regular firstgrader. If your coaching struture allows you to do that, than mission accomplished as far as I'm concerned.

I would swap a Toyota Cup and NSW Cup premiership for 2 points in First grade.

tookey said:
eagles2win said:
Fluffy said:

Cant win

Buit why couldn't he keep Des and still have long term gain?

Because Zorba would have to continue to be media manager - so no long term gain.

OneEyedEagle said:
Fluffy said:

Cant win

Do you think if the board was cohesive that funding would have flowed better and put the club in a better financial situation.

In comparing 2008 with this year then no.

Some might argue that in 08 we also had board disharmony but behind closed doors mostly. In that case we will never get harmony until all the egos are on the same team. That team will then have too much power for my liking.

The forced killing the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles connection and the introduction of the NSW Cup team may have had the effect on funding to the other grades in my opinion.

Have mentioned it a few times on here before but may as well again. Lowe was asked on a TV show over here what the story was with our lower grades, and the answer was that the club has decided that the Top 25 and retention of that group was more important that the 20s so we put our money in that direction

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6