Sponsor looms as potential saviour at Brookie

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
THE battle for control of Manly has taken another twist after the owner of one of the club's major sponsors, a waste and recycling company, expressed interest in buying a major stake of the embattled club.

Read the full article

(Thanks Phantar - I saw them and my mouse has died so a bit slower today! :) )

Interesting Max wants this bloke on board. I really shouldn't be saying this, but here goes, and I will leave some names out for obvious reasons.

A number of years ago, just after Max had bought into the Sea Eagles, another person, who had a MASSIVE passion for The Sea Eagles along with his brother, wanted to buy into our club...

(Think 50% of the way to Tinkler).

This bloke owned the whole Strathfield Car Radio enterprise at the time (as part of his Portfolio) and a number of telecommunications businesses (you will see a number of his businesses often advertised on the backs of boxers at huge bouts).

The guy was almost best friends with Des Hasler, and always had all the players around his place (once a week) for poker (apartment in the City, overlooking the harbour).

This guy was looking to get in on the long haul. He had mountains of cash (Delmege wasn't even a shadow of this guy - heck, he even paid his huge taxes that was applicable)...

Well, ego's are, what ego's are. Max Delmege basically told the guy to **** off. That's right, the bloke with the capital, and business wares to drive us (ALA Newcastle now) into one of the most elite clubs ever, who loved Manly more than anything in his life, was told to go and get stuffed, by "our savior", Max.

Absolutely GUTTED, and not knowing where to turn, the bloke just continued to being a Manly supporter, but never raised the situation, due to his love of the club.

3-4 years later, a representative (and very close friend) who currently worked at The Bulldogs organization, kept asking our die hard Manly man (one of Des Hasler's best mates), to come across, and invest in their product. This was met with plenty of push back (for obvious reasons).

Well, after numerous meetings, get together's, gathering's etc etc etc, this guy bregrudging decided to oblige, and started investing in their horrid brand (Bulldogs).

Next thing you know, players across the board were affordable. Ok, they really haven't done well on the field, but their corporate affairs have never been in questions.

Max's doing.

Well, what do you know? Des Hasler's position with "the board" is untenible. Max, O'Reilly, Sydney and his cronies push, demand, judge, threaten etc etc etc.

So Des receives a call from his good mate, and it goes along the lines of, "sometimes, the grass IS always greener and so on and so forth". Decisions are made.

People tend to believe Max is our saviour. We are in this current position, BECAUSE of this mans ego, especially when you consider his business activities were always heading south (according to the media), who claimed the man wasn't even paying his taxes.

Well, I don't see that as a saviour. I see that as loving the place to death, and riding on the coat-tails of the celebrity the brand gave him. All these issues would have been alleviated, if Max stood up all those years ago, and agreed that ego's aside, a Sea Eagles partnership with this gentleman of mine, would have put us in the sound financial position both on and off the park, another club is presently in due to Max's ego, for years to come.

Thanks.

Fair enough Ryan but the main reason the dogs are so financially strong is that they get $4m a year from their leagues club. How much do we get i thought I read somewhere $18,000pa?

Sheikheagle said:
Fair enough Ryan but the main reason the dogs are so financially strong is that they get $4m a year from their leagues club. How much do we get i thought I read somewhere $18,000pa?

Honestly Shiek mate, I don't give a **** what their leagues club gives them. I hate that club as much as I hate Parramatta. Leagues club or no, Delmege screwed us long term because of his rotten ego.

Simple as that. I just want people to get over this "saviour" crap, and let the truth be known.

Without Max, there would now be no subsequent oafs we currently have lingering around like stale smells from the bums of dead muells.

I am Gutted as well after having read your post Ryan as this is most disappointing news , but the fact is Max WAS our saviour at our most desperate time and we have to respect him for that.

$18 000 Vs 10 000 members @ $50 - 100 average? $500 000 minimum from memberships? The fans give more then the Leauges club?

doesn't sound great Ryan and not a major surprise. However, this URM are loaded so this could work very well.

BOZO said:
I am Gutted as well after having read your post Ryan as this is most disappointing news , but the fact is Max WAS our saviour at our most desperate time and we have to respect him for that.

I disagree. There were better, longer term remidies, and Max killed those off at the time for his own benefit. He was a no-one before The Sea Eagles. His business, and personal profile was raised with his affiliation with us....and according to the rags, a lot of his businesses were already in strife (I remember legal cases etc in some of his development companies).

If he had said, "you know, my businesses are struggling, for the betterment of the club, I'll hand the reigns to you (for a pretty sum of coarse)", then none of these situations, including the corporate card at the bar in Manly incident would have happened.

Simple as that. There were better, more professional and appropriate options at the time.

Saviour? No. Guy who loved the club? Yeah.

manlyfan76 said:
$18 000 Vs 10 000 members @ $50 - 100 average? $500 000 minimum from memberships? The fans give more then the Leauges club?
Gotta correct you there mate 18k is the football club not the leagues club. Apparently the leagues club has given 6 mil since 04 some in sponsorship some in purchasing equity in the nrl club.

But you make a point membership is a revenue stream where up till 4 years all clubs have been under achieving however we have struck pure gold with Larissa. I wouldn't be surprised if we can keep her to see our membership hit the 20k mark over the next few years.

Hope that bloke does not have Strathfield Car Radios in his portfolio anymore, they are in all sorts.

http://www.silvertails.net/articles/article-archive/2865

Is this the guy? This one doesn't seem as solid as one would hope.

We wouldn't have a club to argue over if it wasn't for Max. People certainly have short memories!

If this other guy was such a rich and passionate Manly supporter, why didn't he bail us out when it was desperately needed in 2003/2004? Max was the ONLY one who showed his hand and come up with the much needed cash.

Seems he wanted to buy in once the club was saved. He could've still sponsored us. He had plenty of time over the years to throw his money into a jersey, sleeve, short sponsorship.

If it is the guy in the news article above.....then i'm glad Max told him where to go!

Hmm, funny how history is often rewritten to suit an argument. The fact is that the Penn family were first in to save the club. The Penns had done a deal with the club and an agreement had been signed.

Max came riding over the hill at the last moment and offered more money than the Penn agreement. The Penn family decided that it would be best for the club to take the higher offer and allowed the signed agreement to be rescinded.

Some 12 to 18 months later Max contacted Penn because the initial Delmege money had been spent and the cupboard was once again bare. The Penns agreed to tip in the cash they originally offered, this time for half the shares they were to get in the first place.

The Penns have always acted with integrity and in the best interests of the club. Any talk of a third party involved at the time is news to those who know.

manlywarringah said:
We wouldn't have a club to argue over if it wasn't for Max. People certainly have short memories!

If this other guy was such a rich and passionate Manly supporter, why didn't he bail us out when it was desperately needed in 2003/2004? Max was the ONLY one who showed his hand and come up with the much needed cash.

Seems he wanted to buy in once the club was saved. He could've still sponsored us. He had plenty of time over the years to throw his money into a jersey, sleeve, short sponsorship.

If it is the guy in the news article above.....then i'm glad Max told him where to go!

Its not the same mentioned mob in the old article. URM already put in a lot of coin for sponsorship around the ground at Brookie. Speaking to a friend who is close to Anthony at URM he has been wanting to invest further with the sea eagles brand for some time.

If that article that you found MB is the guy Ryan was talking about then it makes a lot of sense why Des moved to the Dogs. Look who Des's Manager is and who is good friends with this guy? George Mimis.

As for URM I am 100% for it. They have always been a good support for the Manly club. If they want to expand their support, then I am all for it.

gday Pride, I did hear URM is very well off, is that true, is Anthony the owner? Do you have any background.

Pride said:
manlywarringah said:

Its not the same mentioned mob in the old article. URM already put in a lot of coin for sponsorship around the ground at Brookie. Speaking to a friend who is close to Anthony at URM he has been wanting to invest further with the sea eagles brand for some time.

Didn't they start talks on a deal for full sponsorship, but the price was too low?

Ralphie said:
Hmm, funny how history is often rewritten to suit an argument. The fact is that the Penn family were first in to save the club. The Penns had done a deal with the club and an agreement had been signed.

Max came riding over the hill at the last moment and offered more money than the Penn agreement. The Penn family decided that it would be best for the club to take the higher offer and allowed the signed agreement to be rescinded.

Some 12 to 18 months later Max contacted Penn because the initial Delmege money had been spent and the cupboard was once again bare. The Penns agreed to tip in the cash they originally offered, this time for half the shares they were to get in the first place.

The Penns have always acted with integrity and in the best interests of the club. Any talk of a third party involved at the time is news to those who know.

I'm only going on what has been reported many different times about Max coming to the party when we were broke.

Ian Thomson was in charge at the time and he said he went cap in hand to Max and asked him to come up with the millions to save the club. Ian Thomson has been quoted many times as saying we were 24 hours from the doors closing. That's how dire it was.

I will also thank Max for his contribution and thank god he was there at the time.

Any new sponsors or owners who want to pitch in, will be very welcome as far as i'm concerned.

Ralphie said:

You are talking about the first privatisation proposal that was to be put to the members in December 2003.

Max had already saved the club in 2002 when the place was running at a $2.5 million loss as we exited from the northern eagles jv. Max kept the place afloat by buying the football club offices site for way over market value and then paid massive overs as major sponsor to keep the place going in 2003.

The Club would never have made it to December 2003 without Max.

Any agreement the Penn family had was always subject to member approval. The Penns happily collected a $100,000 break fee from the Club because their privatisation proposal ultimately didn't proceed. That break fee was never disclosed to the members at the time, just that the Penns would be buying 100,000 shares as part of Max's privatisation deal. It took several years to find out why the Penns were getting 100,000 shares in the initial privatisation. It was only when I found out about the break fee that it made sense. They took their break fee in shares not cash.

Max didn't contact the Penns. The then Chairman, Joe Cross, approached Scott Penn, who ironically was on the Sea Eagles board ever since privatisation as a Leagues Club appointee. The Penns got a very good deal when they bought in, getting equal shareholding with Max and the same board representation despite paying less than half what Max had paid for his shares.

The club went to max and he gave a million in 2002 for nothing. Handed over the cash and then did a number of things before buying in.
It was Penn who 1st wanted to buy in but Max not only offered more but suggested the preferance shair stay with the FC so no owner can change the location, name and colour of the team.

I'm sure Max has not always made the correct choice but no one can say they have. Butwithout him there would be no Manly as it stands.
And my money would be on a Central coast Bears instead.

So not only did Max save the Eagles he means we dont have the bears. Is that a double win ;) (joking dont get mad bears fans)

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6