Star centre Steve Matai says ‘No’ to Manly Sea Eagles contract extension

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

EagleHaus

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/star-centre-steve-matai-says-no-to-manly-sea-eagles-contract-extension/story-fnp0lyn3-1227044195467

seems to confirm they dont really want out but rather a ploy trying to get the best out of their final contracts

What I think should happen:

1. Give skivvy an $150k upgrade for next year to tie him to the new deal, there should still be some room based on Giftys 'non offer' that would have been insulting - that should be ok for an upgrade.

2. Give choc his 3rd year but less for his final year, as it will be more as a mentor rather than impact, $1.6mil maybe.

3. Snake stays on current deal and is happy mates are still around - was never quoted like the other two wanting a release, seems to just be assisting with the overall bluff.

4. throw the kitchen sink at DCE and foz for 4 year upgrades.

MadMarcus said:
Step 4 should be first.

chez and foz are not talking contracts till afterr nov 1st, the other points can be resolved before and help with their decision to stay on. order is correct :)

Masked Eagle said:
Seems a cut your nose off to spite your face type move.

how so? we all want each of these players to stay and each are integral in their own way. player managers are instigating this, but we dont want any of them lost to this club and would love them to retire here like kingdog. i say it's a 'keep the natives happy' type move.

Well there is another nothing article.

I don't see how Stevie can leverage an upgrade to his current contract without agreeing to an extension. That's negotiation 101. No extension, no upgrade. We are no worse off then we are at the moment.

As for Choc. Great player and all, but I don't think he is the type of player who commands > $600K or a 3 year + deal unless it is significantly less than that amount. Not at this stage in his career. Let him test the market, won't hurt us, we'll still probably get last bid. May well work out in our favour, if he doesn't get that sort of offer than our deal is off the table and we save some coin. Worth the risk IMO.

I think 2 more years of Snake will almost see us have a decent succession plan in place for him. If he stays longer than bonus.

Masked Eagle said:
Seems a cut your nose off to spite your face type move.

Agree.
Skivi will be a year older and more damaged by the end of next year and jeopardizes his chance to get the $500k pa from 2016 .:cool:

What happened with Gifty's injury this Season, should alert all these aging Players that they are more injury prone each season.

It will be a hectic off season for all three, if they continue to feel aggrieved :-/

There is an old saying that the boys should learn: A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

EagleHaus said:
MadMarcus said:
Step 4 should be first.

chez and foz are not talking contracts till afterr nov 1st, the other points can be resolved before and help with their decision to stay on. order is correct :)

I doubt we could achieve any of 1 to 3 before 1 Nov. I would rather them all concentrate on finals over the next month, then lock Foz and DCE up, then take care of the rest.

This story is really tired. Give him a November deadline and then withdraw the offer if he wont sign. We have priorities to sign. We cant have another season of this rubbish. We also must secure as many of our 20s team as possible. Ive seen whats coming through. Nothing to fear if experienced players go. Our culture is bigger than any one player.

Does seem like contract talk.
None of the three looked unhappy at Manly at all after the final whistle on Sunday.
As soon as it hits November 1, most of players will have allegedly signed elsewhere.:rolleyes:
Hopefully we'll be Premiers and those we want will stay.

The Wheel said:
There is an old saying that the boys should learn: A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

So the titans should play more games in the country?

Good luck Stevie.

At least if you get the same money, or even a bit less, at the Sharks or Eels you are way better off.

1. Shorter seasons, no need to worry about finals.

2. Longer off seasons, much needed as you get older.

3. Less training session because of above 2 points.

4. You can go to a club and be one of the highest paid players, just like DCE, and everyone else in the team can hate you.

5. No need to put in a decent effort each week. Losing cultures are happy with mediocre performances on a regular basis.

Actually I don't know why anyone would want to play for Manly.

globaleagle said:
Meh,

Player agents be agenting.

It's true. Decent offers reportedly on the table for matai and watmough, but they decide to "test the market". Who's to say gift wouldn't have done the same? His agent was sniffing out deals. Manly couldn't match souths who are losing burgess and teo. Sometimes the writing is on the wall.

Doesn't Mattai have a contract already for 2015 with us???. Sow hy an upgrade needed.

Frogz said:
Doesn't Mattai have a contract already for 2015 with us???. Sow hy an upgrade needed.

The inference is "upgrade me for 2015 otherwise I won't sign for 16 and 17."

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4