Start 2015 what was really a realistic best finish we were hoping for?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Simonmyers11

First Grader
At the start of this season based on the way we had finished last season and off season player recruitment, what was everyone's realistic opinion on how high we would finish on the ladder?

I was pretty confident we would make the eight, but would just be making up the numbers in the final series, and didn't really see us a chance to take it out. Yes, we finished equal first last season, but the top teams really had a poor start to 2014 and started to come good at the back end when we started to get injuries and our forwards started to show they were not able to compete with the bigger packs like the Roosters, Cowboys and Souths. Even with a fit side playing in the 2014 final series, and being blessed with a very favourable draw in the second week, would of been some effort to knock over a Cowboys, Roosters, or a determined Souths side.

Looking at 2015 I was hoping and confident though, we would still be playing in an 11th consecutive finals series, having us finish around 6th or 7th

Cowboys
Souths
Roosters
Dogs
Penrith
Manly
Storm
Warriors/Broncos

What I didn't think would happen would be the sudden rise in the quality of the Dragons and Broncos, that the Storm would get even better, and that our forward pack (even fully fit) would have to rank the lowest in NRL. I can't name a single NRL side with a worst pack then ours (fully fit). What makes it even harder, teams such as Knights, Titans, and even Sharks are starting to show real signs of improvement.

We now have a team of aging stars, a soft pack and not much depth. The Sharks and Titans and Dragons were in our position not that long ago - you couldn't see where they would snag a win, yet they have blooded some great young talent and their forwards have stepped up, along with their structures and team spirit. Defence also is playing a big part

I know with some players back, we can get a few wins, but we can't expect to do much with the rooster we have. Even if we sign some good halves and a couple of forwards for next year, it would be a great start, but we are still in a lot of trouble unless we are able to bring through a few more turbos and the coaching structures and conditioning need a complete over haul. I watched all 3 games yesterday, just to see how far off we really are - and we are a long way off - even with a fit side. The competitions packs are just bigger, faster and fitter. The outside backs and wingers are quick and doing their job and apart from Penrith (who looked pretty bad without their halves) we have the worst structure in defence (even with a fit side)

I think we just have to get use to losing more than winning for the next rebuilding period.

Pretty sure i predicted 9th to 12th.

I thought we were always gonna struggle.

I thought top 4/8 but the warning signs were on the wall after getting flogged by the eels in round 1. It became more than just warning signs when DCE and Foran signed elsewhere. Now it is even worse with mass injures and lack of depth to replace those that don't want to be there or are injured. Its demoralizing to see a team crumble so fast, I would be very happy to see manly beat any team atm.

I thought 5th to 8th. Thought we would definitely make the 8 but injuries etc would determine whereabouts. Thought top 4 would be a slight stretch too much.

I thought we would make the 8.
I still think we can make the 8.
When we start to get some first team players back, we will be a totally different side.

6 to 8th didn't think we would be last at this stage we need to start getting players back quick smart and other players not pulling out last min ie foran

To begin with, I was thinking somewhere in the top 6 but I've now accepted that we won't makes the finals this year.

If Gutherson, Lawrence and Starling hadn't come down with lengthy injuries then I think we would have been doing ok. Probably would have had 3 wins by now, maybe even 4. I feel that Gutherson could potentially have been a matchwinner for us this season.

I was hoping for a top 4 finish behind Souths, Roosters, Dogs.
We will get the wooden spoon this year. I think the players want this to happen. To make a statement to management.

I believed at the start of the season that 8th - 11th was where we would be placed and I think that is still a realistic goal. I think we will pick up a few wins from origin time as we start to get some guys back from injury as other teams are hampered by losing theirs.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6