Stats breakthrough that won Manly the competition

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Phantar

Bencher
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/stat-breakthrough-that-won-manly-comp/story-e6frexnr-1226223454383

May help in judging an individual player but not a Team.
A tableing of the two 2008 GF Teams would be a clear case of CVR not being an indicator of outcome.

Lets hope that 2v factors in more attitude to the weighting :)

Berkeley_Eagle said:
So the question begs is 2V going to keep using the CVR

Can he avoid using them? But who will be actually providing all this information for Tooves? Has a statistician been appointed yet for 2012?

I saw 'Moneyball' a few weeks back and at the time I couldn't help but draw parallels between Billy Bean's predicament at the start of the film and Hasler's, when the latter took over as coach from Sharp.

i am really sick of the dogs saying, we want to be like manly blah this hodgkinson now. Really i hjope we give these pricks a toweling hasler has moved on but for the way i see it they are in blue and white we are in maroon and white we have 9 test internationals in our team, so comparing is easy ennis and hodgkinson maybe the **** outside backs may hinder them in 2012 josh morris, goodwin, turner, barba oh please what a joke, they are nothing like manly.

I can prove that Kingston Town and Phar Lap would be the last 2 placed horses in the maiden mile at Kembla on Saturday.

Gee, I imagine Chris Bailey was happy this wasn't around when playing for us. ;) What about Buhrer, he played about 2 minutes a game, where does that sit him?
Metres gained is a hard one for Choc as he runs across ways alot so he's running alot but just not straight. He'd be an Immortal if we had goalposts on the side of a field. :p

arty said:
Berkeley_Eagle said:
So the question begs is 2V going to keep using the CVR

Can he avoid using them? But who will be actually providing all this information for Tooves? Has a statistician been appointed yet for 2012?

No - this will be done by the coaching team with the support of a Part Time asisstant

I've seen Moneyball and enjoyed it, and think I have a basic understanding of CVR. But I'm sceptical about the CVRs given for Watmough over the past three seasons.

For a start, every Manly fan would have been able to tell you that Choc was great in 2009, poor in 2010 and almost back to his 2009 form last season (2011). No need for stats there.

But, in 2010 he scored 14 tries, opposed to 2 tries last season and 6 in 2009, so CVRs don't rate try scoring highly (good thing CVRs weren't around when Ken Irvine played!).

If you compare Choc's figures between 2009 and 2011 he improved in five categories, and was only worse in two - slow play-the-balls (because of more wrestling) and tries (6 to 2). Yet his CVR went down - and this after Badel's ratings deemed tries weren't that important.

Call me a CVR sceptic (not a 'denier') but I wonder if it is really worth all the effort.

In Watmough's case the errors conceded in 2011 are lower than ever. Add that to his involvement across the board and he's one hell of a MVP.

These stats are an excellent tool. I reckon.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6