Sterling Gold: Manly the new left-edge kings

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Captain of the Gate

Reserve Grader
Sterlo's latest column for NRL.com focus is on our left edge and teh strength of our 1, 6, 7, 9 spine

Interesting read not jsut for what they are doing but things I didn't realsie like the plays that still exist from 2008 despite different halves

http://www.nrl.com/sterling-gold-manly-the-new-left-edge-kings/tabid/10874/newsid/63179/default.aspx

That was a bloody top article. He may be a Parra boy but he knows the game so well!

Daniel said:
That was a bloody top article. He may be a Parra boy but he knows the game so well!

Sterling made mention a few weeks ago that he was a Manly supporter as a kid, in particluar when they won premierships in 72/73.
What I appreciate abut guys like Sterling is he seems to show little to no bias when either commentating or reviewing a team.

captainskin said:
Daniel said:

Sterling made mention a few weeks ago that he was a Manly supporter as a kid, in particluar when they won premierships in 72/73.
What I appreciate abut guys like Sterling is he seems to show little to no bias when either commentating or reviewing a team.

Yeah I agree he just calls it how he sees it and explains the plays without too much fanfare. I always enjoy listening to his insights because he picks up on subtle things that I had missed, and I watch the plays very carefully. So you always come out of it with some gem of knowledge

Sterling would be a great coach imo
But he is giving tips to all the other teams Des is gonna have to go to his box of tricks to bring some more to the table now

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Sterling would be a great coach imo
But he is giving tips to all the other teams Des is gonna have to go to his box of tricks to bring some more to the table now

Sneaky Parra tactics!!!

Have to agree, love Sterlo's input. He always seems fair and unbiased. I always get teh feeling that he just enjoys good football and good footballers rather than specific teams. He will pay anyone who deserves it credit, but also take a shot at guys he thinks are out of line which I don't think enough expert do.
I remember a year or 2 ago on the Footy Show Fat had a go at him for tipping against Parra saying something along the lines of "but your one of the Parra great" and he replied along the lines of "I hate that, don't tip based on who you played for, I don't think they are going to win this game I think XX is too strong etc etc" and my respect for him shot straight up.

Captain of the Gate said:
Have to agree, love Sterlo's input. He always seems fair and unbiased. I always get teh feeling that he just enjoys good football and good footballers rather than specific teams. He will pay anyone who deserves it credit, but also take a shot at guys he thinks are out of line which I don't think enough expert do.
I remember a year or 2 ago on the Footy Show Fat had a go at him for tipping against Parra saying something along the lines of "but your one of the Parra great" and he replied along the lines of "I hate that, don't tip based on who you played for, I don't think they are going to win this game I think XX is too strong etc etc" and my respect for him shot straight up.

Yet some people here wanted to hang Fatty for tipping against the Sea Eagles but Sterlo gets respect for tipping against the Eels! I've actually detected an element of bias in part of Sterlos calls, namely against Jamie Lyon. He's still filthy for how he left the Eels and especially when he first came to Manly you could really hear it, but its not as much these days. One thing Sterlo has done which has helped with his commentary that alot of other former Champs haven't is stayed out of the coaching arena. Too many former players who are now commentators also where that other hat of a coach and its difficult for them to be impartial and it can really come through in their commentary.

Giving the other teams tips? Please! If modern day NRL coaches can't see that our left edge is killing them then they should all be sacked. I'm assuming that was tongue in cheek Berkeley Eagle?

I'd never ever tip against Manly. Just not in my DNA. Poor form any fan who tips against their side.

sterlo said a few weeks back he was a massive manly fan as a kid.

I like sterlo more than any other 9 commentator. he puts his bias on the sideline and calls what he sees from a rugby league standpoint.

DSM5 said:
I'd never ever tip against Manly. Just not in my DNA. Poor form any fan who tips against their side.

Ripping on the Manly captain's in your DNA but tipping against them isn't? Hope you don't give blood or donate your organs.

Good article but the last line is a bit of a joke. These 4 can be compared with Slater and co because we are on the same points...and nearly same for and against. That was a bit of a backhander after all the good stuff beforehand.

I agree Jono, the last paragraph made me laugh. The Storm have better playmakers than us (for the time being) but there is no way the dragons playmakers are better than ours.

Boyd is good but no Stewart & lacks imagination. Soward is decent but again, no Foran. Hornby & DCE is the closest comparison but Hornby is well past it & declining whereas DCE has come on strong & doesn't seem to have any intentions of slowing down. Young vs Ballin, lol. Nothing need be said.

Lol, Dean Young...hahaha.

Best thing about this article is that it demonstrates how lethal we are on both sides of the field given we looked as dangerous, if not more dangerous on the right side with Gift, Brett and Killer working their magic against Canterbury.

Jono said:
Good article but the last line is a bit of a joke. These 4 can be compared with Slater and co because we are on the same points...and nearly same for and against. That was a bit of a backhander after all the good stuff beforehand.

Love our spine but you cant be serious right?

We are on equal points because we provide quality all over the field
We will beat them 3 players

Fonz said:
Giving the other teams tips? Please! If modern day NRL coaches can't see that our left edge is killing them then they should all be sacked. I'm assuming that was tongue in cheek Berkeley Eagle?

I hope so. We actually aren't doing anything to different then what everyone else is trying to do. We are just doing it a lot better.

Volley, you can't be serious. Being critical of a player, and supporting the team, are two different ideas. I hope you can get that.

fLIP said:
sterlo said a few weeks back he was a massive manly fan as a kid.

I like sterlo more than any other 9 commentator. he puts his bias on the sideline and calls what he sees from a rugby league standpoint.

Sterlo has said that a few times.

MG apparently was a Manly fan as well (big Wombat fan)

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4