Steve Matai is ready to rumble the Storm

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
THE Sea Eagles have received a big boost ahead of their opening NRL game against the Storm with Steve Matai declaring he will be right.

The bruising three-quarter was a spectator for Manly’s final trial against Parramatta at Brookvale but quickly dismissed any concerns about his fitness for the showdown with the Storm on Saturday week at Brookvale.

Read More

THE Sea Eagles have received a big boost ahead of their opening NRL game against the Storm with Steve Matai declaring he will be right.

The bruising three-quarter was a spectator for Manly’s final trial against Parramatta at Brookvale but quickly dismissed any concerns about his fitness for the showdown with the Storm on Saturday week at Brookvale.

“I just had a few little niggling injuries, nothing big,” Matai told the Manly Daily.

“I’ll be right, I’ll be ready to go in round one.”

Matai underwent an operation on his elbow following the grand final against the Roosters.

“It’s going OK, the strength is coming back,” he said.

“I had it six weeks before we came back in November and then six weeks after that it started feeling fine.

”And hopefully it is all right for the rest of the season.”

The man who is as hard as a slab of granite in the Sea Eagles backline is excited that the premiership is about to begin again.

“It’s come around pretty quick, it felt like we got off the GF a few weeks ago,” Matai said.

“But the boys have been training hard and we are ready to get into it.”

Matai underwent an operation on his elbow following the grand final against the Roosters.

“It’s going OK, the strength is coming back and it is feeling fine,” he said.

Manly Daily

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/sea-eagles-star-steve-matai-is-ready-to-rumble-the-storm/story-fngr8iii-1226837169650

Great news. Espicually if jorge is out matai expierence is golden.

The storm should be very afraid.

Mark from Brisbane said:
Just keep that arm down Skivvy!!

I think the change in rules actually helped Steve last year. Wasn't he only suspended for 1 game with that hit on Burgess? Hopefully this area of his game continues to improve and he doesn't get suspended this year.

It's not clear from the article, did he have an elbow operation? Or was it an elbow operation?

niccipops said:
ALinda said:
HappilyManly said:
I love Matai :heart:

Me too :heart:

Need a positive after losing Taufua and this is excellent news. Go Stevie!
Me three :heart::heart::heart:
I have a No.4 jersey since Christmas. I want that guy to play forever.

Good on you.

I thought you were going to say 'I want that guy.' LOL Me thinks perfectly understandable :heart:

Unleash teh Matai

On Moh's scale of hardness you have granite on 7, diamond on 10 and Matai on 11

Matai is probably the most hated player at our club by supporters of other teams. I bet if he played for their clubs they wouldn't hate him. I love the way he plays the game, he's old school. Definitely up the there with one of my all time favorite players.

King said:
Matai is probably the most hated player at our club by supporters of other teams. I bet if he played for their clubs they wouldn't hate him. I love the way he plays the game, he's old school. Definitely up the there with one of my all time favorite players.

I almost got into a fight with a friends wife who is a doggies supporter as she said how much she hates Matai. That didn't bother me, but then she said what a pansy he is. 'Excuse me??' Well everytime he gets tackled he goes down clutching his shoulder or neck.

I really had to contain myself and say, he has had neck and shoulder issues which would be the end of most players careers. He then launches himself at opposition players with no regard for his safety.....so go and get (expletive).

Killer03 said:
King said:

I almost got into a fight with a friends wife who is a doggies supporter as she said how much she hates Matai. That didn't bother me, but then she said what a pansy he is. 'Excuse me??' Well everytime he gets tackled he goes down clutching his shoulder or neck.

I really had to contain myself and say, he has had neck and shoulder issues which would be the end of most players careers. He then launches himself at opposition players with no regard for his safety.....so go and get (expletive).

She should be sin binned and banned from any further BBQ,s

Go manly said:
Killer03 said:
King said:

She should be sin binned and banned from any further BBQ,s

I'm pretty even tempered with criticisms of Manly, I don't really care what others think, but there are certain things that just need to be put right.

1. Matai is not tough - got to be kidding
2. Killer's decision to not play origin - this isn't Nazi Germany he has a choice

And finally I had someone try and tell me one day that Toovey was a real weak nancy player. It was just pathetic. I said 'well Gordon Tallis rates you as THE TOUGHEST PLAYER HE EVER PLAYED AGAINST....that means you are tough'

Skivvy has been named as one of FOX Sports "10 enforcers who can make grown league players cry"

Related article:

As the 2014 NRL season looms we look at 10 enforcers who can make grown league players cry

Fatima Kdouh
FOX SPORTS
February 26, 2014 1:14PM

STEVE MATAI

Matai’s hard-hitting can be traced back to his days as an eager teenager at the Ipswich Jets where he was coached by none other than Trevor “The Axe” Gillmeister. The fearsome centre is no stranger to the judiciary thanks to his in-your-face style of play. But the 29-year-old won’t be changing his devastating style any time soon. Expect the Manly firebrand to dish out a few more doses of physical humiliation in 2014.

Click here to read the full article at foxsports.com.au

He is a god damned legend who wont be appreciated for the toughness he exudes by the nrl community except Manly.

He is even my (canadian) better half's fav player.

I saw him at a function but was too star struck to say hi. :( :blush:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4