Steve Matai was awful

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Beaver boy

Reserve Grader
I've been explaining to all that Matai has been well below his best most of the year. Last night put an exclamation mark on my theory as he was awful. Defensively he was flat footed, and had bad reads. He was responsible for letting in three of the first 5 tries.

His massive hits sometimes cloud his defensive deficiencies, and his attack with that big left foot step has been almost non existent this year. Let's hope the off season allows him to recover from his niggling injuries and he can return to the form of the first 10 rounds last year where he was arguably the form centre in the comp.

Last edited:
Yeah it was not one of his better games but when you are busted you are going to struggle, broken nose and also broken finger makes it difficult, I wont knock Stevie cause he puts in every week. I think what you say is right but it needs to be put in context cause there have been many others who have been piss poor this season.

Awful game. Playing busted with a broken nose. Hurts every tackle he makes and cannot breathe properly.has always been prone to defensive lapses though.

The story of our brilliant but aging centres. I'm expecting more time on the sideline for Jamie and Matai next season, so hope we have good depth ready to step in for them.

On the flip side, Skivvy has been pretty damn good all year. I'm not sure if it's defensive reads or defensive structure that's to blame. Having said that I haven't watched last night's game and probably won't bother, but never forget that Stevie is playing busted, always puts in 100%, has at least ensures we make the highlights reels in a positive manner thanks to his hit on Tyrrell and has scored 8 tries in 21 games this year, averaging 84m/game. It's not been his best year, but he's had a reasonably good season for what's been a very ordinary year for the club.

I am his biggest fan but was surprised when the roosters spread it wide he created an overlap for them by rushing in and leaving his man unmarked. Not sure whether he was trying to tie the ball up or it was a bad read or what but it led to three roosters tries.

It's been that way for a year or two now. For every big hit he puts on, he misses three. But he fits under the 'he who cannot be criticised.'

It's just simple counting numbers stuff. I was stunned that a player of his experience would seemingly make such an error. Maybe he doesn't trust his inside man. Who knows.

To be fair, I'd say almost ever player has been at least inconsistent for a long time (besides the Trbojevic brothers, and Jorge Taufua) this season.

Not sure if it's a lack of accountability, poor coaching, poor attitude, a disgruntled playing group, the politics finally taking a toll (or a mix of all).

Barrett, Carter, and whoever is going to be our recruitment guy, need to sit down, make some very tough decisions, and cut some more players.

Also, whoever is our fitness guy is - take a look at the Chooks. Stronger, faster, fitter, bigger, more agile, more endurance. Men vs. boys stuff.

Now, I saw guys like Cordner and Aubusson man handle our softies, so it's not size.

It's attitude and aggression, and we have far too many softies - good guys. They'll go nowhere in todays game, because animals like JWH and Sam Burgess will eat them alive, and have.

Broken nose please. Bet I'm not the only one reading these post that's played the game with one, you don't run on it and I don't remember having to tackle with it.We got a free beer after the game not $15 000.

To be fair, I'd say almost ever player has been at least inconsistent for a long time (besides the Trbojevic brothers, and Jorge Taufua) this season.

Not sure if it's a lack of accountability, poor coaching, poor attitude, a disgruntled playing group, the politics finally taking a toll (or a mix of all).

Barrett, Carter, and whoever is going to be our recruitment guy, need to sit down, make some very tough decisions, and cut some more players.

Also, whoever is our fitness guy is - take a look at the Chooks. Stronger, faster, fitter, bigger, more agile, more endurance. Men vs. boys stuff.

Now, I saw guys like Cordner and Aubusson man handle our softies, so it's not size.

It's attitude and aggression, and we have far too many softies - good guys. They'll go nowhere in todays game, because animals like JWH and Sam Burgess will eat them alive, and have.
Exactly what has to happen. A massive fitness and strength off season is required along with a massive change in defense structure , line speed and power.
We are clearly a long way behind the top 8 in all those areas
Jorge was great till the last 2 games then he dropped off. Snake hasn't even been there the last 2 either. I don't know what happened but we just dropped off last 2 weeks like they didn't want to be there.

The same predictable back line cut out pass plays from Foran made me so mad watching it on Friday night. It was lame tactics, a lame game plan and zero imagination from Foran the other night. Good riddance and hope you wallow in the mire and mediocrity that you so richly deserve at Parra scum.

That last thing I tell my under 12 wingers and centres before running on is do not let your opposite number score. If a try is scored inside you it's not your fault, stand on there outside shoulder and trust your inside players. To use a compressed defense pattern on your try line is madness, that's when they go wide. It was handed to them on a platter. That was a text book example of what not to do.

Busted finger, busted nose, busted shoulder/neck, busted foot...
Needs a rest.... Not playing finals will see him good for next season...
No tougher bloke playing...

Shouldn't be playing. Just a liability out there. Watching the replay, he was absolutely horrible. Actually let 4 tries in. Outside backs defence and structure is woeful

Steve looked relatively small this year. I think no finals will be the best thing for him. A good long off season to get his injuries right and bulk up and it will be Stevie of old (not and old Stevie) next year.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8