Steve Matai

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
Your probably all aware, Matai is currently both suspended and injured (carrying on from his 07 form), and is set to miss the first 3-4 weeks of the season.

He occasionally has a spark of brilliance, but that is mixed with bundle of suspension and injury.

Is it time for Manly to move on from S. Matai, and his occasional off field dramas??

That said, do we expect Vaeliki to play centres to begin the season? I hear he has lost a bit of pace, but I always rated him very, very highly. 

So, in basic terms guys, are we fans of Matai's, or are we not so much?

For the moment, there IS no moving on from S Matai.

Unless Des moves Lyon back to the centres (wont happen) Des will play Mattai and thats that.

Vaeliki was bought for interim backup and thats where he will be, and thats that.

Everytime I have put him in the "too much trouble" category, he does some redeeming act. Like that superb tackle on Grothe last year in Round 9.

So, try as i may, Mattai has alluded all my attempts to consign him to the released bin.

Anyhow Ryan, were you not an advocate for more aggression such as his in our playing style ?

In a toss up between Matai and the Big V, Matai is in front by a nose. Only because V's form is very suspect so far. If we could rely on Lyon and Bell at centre then there wouldn't be a question, but we all know it isn't going to happen. Will Grieve, Meaney, Koala, Neumann, or someone else moving out of position shake his role? I doubt it. I still say he will end up being the most suspended Manly player for the year, but what is the alternative at this stage?

Exactly. What are the options? We have absolutely no 5/8 back-up, so we can't move Lyon.

And as for the battle between Vaealiki and Matai....it's a no contest. Matai can have a f*cking dig and is improving. Vaealiki is finished. Injuries have cruelled somebody who was once a very powerful centre.

Matai was the only bloke on the field in the grand final who had a dig. He was the only Manly player to outplay their opponent. We've got an entire team of goody two shoes players, we need some aggression on the park. Every team does. Crocker has had his fair share of injuries and suspension, but the Storm would consider him to be among their most valuable players. Same goes for everyone from Morley to Tallis to Wiki. Every team needs the c*nt factor. I can't think of anyone at Manly who has that aside from Matai. Choc is the closest...

Vaeleki's trial performance was terrible at best.

Matai is our only option at the moment. But since he is injured...NBQ should get the gig.

Matai over Vaealiki by a country mile imo.  The feedback I have seen on Vaealiki has been very ordinary, if he plays very well then Manly are better off.  But until he proves he is back to NRL standard he will be viewed as a back up only in my eyes.

Matai has his faults but is pretty young and provides much needed agression in our team.  If his injuries disappear he will continue to improve as a player.

If we had a backup 5/8 I might consider Matai's place in the side with Lyon moving back to centre however our 5/8 is Lyon so Matai must be in the side on current/last seasons form.

I cant believe people still question his part in the Manly side.

Based on form he was our best Centre in 2007 (Bell was sh!t.) He can hit a hole probably better then any player in our team bar Watmough and is probably our most aggressive defender.
As mentioned earlier, he was the only player to have a dig in the grand final.

Have to agree guys. Definitely enjoy his passion and aggression. If it weren't for his blasted injuries (can't be helped), but moreso suspensions, he would be a great centre.

Also guys, I remember 2 years ago sitting at Brookie in the trial against The Tigers, and Brett Stewart got the ball with an open try line. He was subsequently run down, and tackled by their centres at the time. I remember people saying things like, wow, he's lost SO much pace!" etc, but he came out in the season proper, and killed it.

I think this will be like Vaeliki. I'm a real supporter of his to be honest. I think we'll see some great things from him guys.

I also agree that Matai in the Grand Final was one of the only ones that played with grit and passion. Mata even made some positive comments about him, which is a far cry from his Bluetongue Stadium cry of "your curaaap Mataiiiii!!!". Hehehehe..

Fair enough, I reckon given the players we have, 1st and foremost it should be Matai and Bell. I think Vaeliki will be great backup as well.

Also, to the guys that said Bell had a poor 07. I think we will see a real damaging 08 Bell. Contract year. Playing for possibly his final contract. A great nucleus around him. Also, his reservations from that eye socket injury is an additional 18 months on from the incident.

He'll be a gun...like 06.

I am in the keep him Category, thought this topic might drag DSM out of his hibernation for the summer haha

Basically for me, he is full of potential. he can penetrate the line, has a very good step, has been developing a good offload, and provides some fire to the side. His metres from dummy half are also vital to the side.

The downside to his game is also the fiery side of it, and also his reads, which have improved in a big way the last season.

He had a shocker last year with injuries, which he carried into the season. 06 he played 24/26 and 05 his debut year he was available every time he was called upon i think.

As for the running out of line for a big hit, it is obvious that Des wants him doing that. We change our structure outwide before his hit, and it is confirmed in RLW by Des.

Incase anyone hasn't seen the article, it is titled "Matai vows to maintain rage" and it has quotes from Des in there saying he wants Matai to keep playing the aggressive game

Hopefully he can follow the lead of the players flogged the most on this site over the past few years, Watmough, King and Monaghan, and have a big season

I'm with Kiwi too, he has got so much potential and he has got the Mongrel in him which we need it to rub on some of the forwards

Matai is still very young as well. Maybe it is time for him to start to show some maturity. Don't forget we will have a new winger this year - not sure who it will be but David Williams from Parra has big wraps, though Bani did okay last year.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7