Steve Matai

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

bob dylan

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I reckon we beat the storm last week with him in the side. He was super today.

Almost as valuable to us as Lyon.

He is a superstar. 100% Manly man.

I've stated previously we are a different team when he is on the paddock. His presence just lifts the side. Along with Choc is the glue of the Manly team.

He always plays well with the hair loose !!

Can I toss this out there, 1 of the most under rated players to ever play for Manly

People realise he is good, but not just how good and vital he is to our side

Kiwi Eagle said:

Can I toss this out there, 1 of the most under rated players to ever play for Manly

Couldn't agree more. I think very few supporters of rival clubs rate him but he makes an impact with just about every touch. I think just about every centre in the game would hate the idea of coming up against him. Chances are they'll get smashed at least once during the game and they won't be able to contain his runs, particularly from dummy half.

People say this player is tuff and that player is tuff but Matai is without doubt one of the tuffest of the last 10 years.

firechild said:
Kiwi Eagle said:

Couldn't agree more. I think very few supporters of rival clubs rate him but he makes an impact with just about every touch. I think just about every centre in the game would hate the idea of coming up against him. Chances are they'll get smashed at least once during the game and they won't be able to contain his runs, particularly from dummy half.

I remember watching a show last year, and I am pretty sure it was Anasta who said that you always play worried and out of the corner of your eye when on the same side of the park as him

Skivvy makes such a difference to the Manly side....ALL players seem to play better. His competitive nature rubs off...was essential to our recent success + essential to our future. True gentleman, top bloke, sign him up!

Evo said:
True gentleman, top bloke, sign him up!

We already did sign him up, hopefully for the rest of his career.

Matai is one of those inspirational players that lift the team around him. He is a game changeron so many occasions. How many times do you see him put on a big hit or a run out of dummy half to change the momentum of the game.

Matai is a Manly man... Unlike T Dog. He plays with his mates for less money than he could get elsewhere. He is on par with legends like Beaver and Choc IMO.

Have to totally admire Steve when offered alot more to play at the Sharks. Reason why Whare left as no way getting Steve's or Lyon's centre position.

He runs straight; doesn't crab across field like some other centre (non Manly), and his running from dummy half is terrific.
We miss his direct attack when he's away.

I agree 100% my favourite player in the squad along with Lyon and Foran.

I would like to see his first 20m split times at training it would not surprise me if he tops the charts. Great explosive power off the mark and seems to get a good leap forward with good initial stride technique.

There are times when his high tackling annoys me but i actually admired the reasons behind his last suspension---he made an effort to lift our intensity as our forwards were getting dominated and just mistimed.(in other words the forwards dominate he wont need to inspire as often.)

I've never underestimated him:) From the moment he came into first grade he's given his all for the club. He was pretty raw back then but he's worked hard on his attack and improved to be one of the best centres in the game. As others have said, we're a much better team with him in the lineup.

Technical Coach said:
I agree 100% my favourite player in the squad along with Lyon and Foran.

I would like to see his first 20m split times at training it would not surprise me if he tops the charts. Great explosive power off the mark and seems to get a good leap forward with good initial stride technique.

There are times when his high tackling annoys me but i actually admired the reasons behind his last suspension---he made an effort to lift our intensity as our forwards were getting dominated and just mistimed.(in other words the forwards dominate he wont need to inspire as often.

TC. Off the subject but: Do you think our forwards lose their defensive structure when King and Kite are rested? It seems to me that George and Darcy are not nearly as good in defence as they are in attack.
With Gift back, which forward would you drop: Darcy, George, Vic or Joe?

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6