Steve Menzies hails club's golden era

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

castle eagle

Bencher
Tipping Member
STEVE Menzies could be forgiven for taking a well-earned break from all things rugby league after two decades at the top, but nothing will stop Beaver cheering on his beloved Sea Eagles this weekend.

The Manly legend will watch Sunday’s Grand Final on the internet in Holland as part of a post-career European holiday with his young family.

The Daily Telegraph on Wednesday caught up with the 2008 Grand Final hero in Budapest - he flies out Thursday - to find out why he thinks Manly can secure their ninth first grade premiership.

‘’This really is a golden era for Manly,’’ said Menzies, who played a record 349 NRL games for Manly before ending his career with stints at Bradford and Catalans.

"Good luck to the boys, I am sure they will go out and do their best.

"They showed such quality and composure against the Rabbitohs last week.
"To me that showed they can definitely win it. I’ll be watching (from Amsterdam) and wishing for a win.

"It will be close but they have to hang in there against such a big side like the Roosters.

"I think our halves (Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran) can be our strength. They just know when to run and when to kick.

"They are quality footballers for players so young. They know when to kick early and when to pass.

"Manly showed a lot of character last week. Souths are a quality side and they led 14-0 after about 15 minutes.
"It looked over but Manly hung in there and never looked back."

After a glittering 15-year career at Brookvale, Menzies left the NRL under extraordinary circumstances in 2008.

His Sea Eagles beat Melbourne 40-0 and Menzies scored a late and now famous try.

"It was surreal," Menzies said. "To score that try, it was the perfect ending.

"I couldn’t have asked for a better finish, the way we won.
"I wasn’t supposed to go back on the field again but Steve Matai was injured. Even talking about it now I am getting goosebumps.

"It was crazy; a dream."

Manly will contest their fourth grand final in seven years this Sunday.

The club really does spoil their fans.

"The culture has been there for years," he said. "This group has been together since 2009 and 2010.

"They are a quality group of players. There are a couple of young players plus experienced players like ‘Snake’ (Brett Stewart), ‘Killer’ (Jamie Lyon) and ‘Choc’ (Anthony Watmough).

"Manly has won a grand final at least once in each of the past five decades.

"And they are so hard to win. I guess the fans have been pretty lucky."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-sea-eagles-great-steve-menzies-hails-clubs-golden-era/story-fni3gnk1-1226731774894

Just watched the 2008 GF on Fox this afternoon.

The 'Beaver,Beaver' chant is not clear on the replay, but I recall us all yelling it as he came on in the 69th minute - then that try - priceless memories :angel:

castle eagle said:
The Manly legend will watch Sunday’s Grand Final on the internet in Holland as part of a post-career European holiday with his young family.

Disappointing. A true supporter would be at the ground. :p

castle eagle said:
"I think our halves (Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran) can be our strength. They just know when to run and when to kick.

Love it. His body left the club but his heart and spirit never did.

HappilyManly said:
Just watched the 2008 GF on Fox this afternoon.

The 'Beaver,Beaver' chant is not clear on the replay, but I recall us all yelling it as he came on in the 69th minute - then that try - priceless memories :angel:

Yelling Beaver, beaver at the 69th minute mark:p:p:p...(yes I know it's grotty sexual innuendo, but i couldn't let it go!:p)

HappilyManly said:
After my wedding day and the birth of my children one of the highlights of my life.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6