Stewart backs Menzies on Manly try record

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Stevo

First Grader
Brett Stewart has hit out at the NRL's statisticians and says he won't consider himself Manly's record try-scorer if he surpasses Steve Menzies' milestone of 151 four-pointers for the Sea Eagles.

Stewart crossed for the 130th time in Manly colours against the Gold Coast last week and is on course to break the official record held by club legend Menzies.

But the Sea Eagles claim Menzies' true record is 180 and the 29 tries he scored for now defunct Northern Eagles - when Manly were merged with North Sydney from 2000 to 2002 - should be included as Manly's.

Although he would cherish a place in the club's record books, Stewart believes the current calculations are unfair and disrespectful to the 40-year-old who also shares Terry Lamb's competition record of 349 first grade games,

Menzies is returning to Manly as a coach next season when he finally hangs up his boots after the Super League season with France-based Les Catalans, capping off a glittering career that began in 1993.

"If I was Beaver I would find it a little bit disrespectful and disappointing (not to credit him with 180 tries)," Stewart said.

"In the eyes of everyone here and I think most rugby league fans in general, Beaver is a one-club player for Manly.

"I see the record as being 180 tries and not 151 so I will probably have to be like him and play until I am 50 to beat it!

"I wouldn't be considering myself the top scorer if I didn't score more than 180."

Sea Eagles coach Geoff Toovey, who also played for the Northern Eagles, shares Stewart's frustrations and called for the record to be changed.

"I don't believe Beaver played for any other club and I think it's a silly thing to do," Toovey said.

"The Manly club have always been in existence - even when the Northern Eagles were around - it is crazy to think he played for anyone else.

"Everyone knows the facts ... I don't remember me playing for anyone else - the club changed it's name for a while because of certain circumstances.

"But we still played at Brookvale Oval."

Meanwhile, Manly centre Steve Matai said he was not concerned about coming up against Parramatta prop Mitchell Allgood next week after the pair's stoush earlier this month which saw the front-rower sent off for punching the former Kiwi Test star.

"The best way to get them back is on the scoreboard and that is revenge if you want to call it that," Matai said.

"I just like to tackle hard and if he runs my way I will tackle him hard."

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4