Stewart deserves Lyon's share of recognition

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mitch

Bencher
Stewart deserves Lyon's share of recognition

SMH - Danny Weidler

Watching the magnificent send-off Manly have given Jamie Lyon during the past week, it's hard not to think about a player who has done even more for the club, Brett Stewart.

The Manly media department did a great job lauding Lyon. Everyone from Johnathan Thurston to Cameron Smithrecorded a message praising Lyon. The best tribute came from the media-shy Stewart, who declared Lyon the best player he had played with.

Many Manly players would say that about Stewart. They think he has played his last game for the club. Those who know Stewart say he has conceded his days at Manly are done. It's understood Manly want to meet with Stewart's management this week to discuss a possible exit strategy.

This column is also aware that Stewart is being medically assessed. But if Manly were hoping insurance would cover the remainder of Stuart's contract, QBE's decision during the week not to pay out on Anthony Watmough's career-ending knee injury will have the Sea Eagles thinking again. QBE deemed the injury pre-existing. Also making it tough is that the NRL's chief medical offer, Paul Bloomfield, knows Stewart's entire history of knee issues ashewas the Manly doctor.

Manly says Stewart has a contract for next season and will be in control of his future. Which brings us back to the send-off. Stewart's record at Manly demands at least what Lyon has received. Manly are at a loss about how to handle it because Stewart has a contract for next year.

Manly godfather Ken Arthurson flew from the Gold Coast to attend Saturday's game to thank Lyon for his contribution.

"Done even more for the club"?
Weidler just can't help himself.

I'm not sure he knows what he's talking about on the insurance front either, having only played for Manly makes it a totally different situation to Watmough:

A) new club signs you with serious pre-existing injuries, without doing their due diligence (or disregarding it), to a contract length that your injuries will make it near impossible for you to have a chance of completing, or

B) your existing club extends your contract, knowing your injury history, and at the time you sign, your ongoing injuries are being managed and not affecting your ability to play. You re-injure yourself and have to retire, that's luck of the draw and not yours or the club's fault.

It would also be a consideration that Brett has got pretty close to the end of his contract before being forced into retirement (if it happens), which would indicate the contract wasn't ridiculous, outlandish, pie in the sky stuff like signing a busted Watmough to a four-year deal was.

Same would apply to Steve Matai if he is unfortunately forced into retirement by his injury.

Snowden and Creagh all retired after being declared medically unfit by the NRL too.
The NRL have stated that their judgement gives Cap relief to the players' Club, irrespective of any insurance ruling.@:cool:

Manly will organize a send off for Snake and Matai, as it gets the Fans through the turnstiles. Simple to market such an emotive event :nod:

Arko always comes to the last home game, as it's an annual event for past players :nod:

Weidler should have just congratulated Killer on his career, rather than constantly portraying Snake and Choc as some sort of victims :confused:

#FarewellJamie :hi:

His future still must be up in the air, if those within the club know he won't be back, as Weidler mentioned, he would of been walking around with Killer yesterday.

Stewart and Matai haven't announced their retirement like Lyon did, so why do we have to give them a send off. They both have contracts for next year and to give them a send-off now would be disrespectful.
I was thinking the same thing, did I miss Snakes retirement announcement ??

You can always be assured Danny the Worm is pushing someones agenda for a reason. Maybe Snake isn't feeling enough love, or is getting pressure to pull the pin early on his contract. The puppet steps up to apply a bit of media spotlight to the situation.

Jamie is our Captain Courageous and deserves all the tributes on his own as he's just a bloody legend.
When the other two make their announcements we'll be cheering them as we send them off as well.
What a legend team we've had.

Without injuries and that ridiculous female making allegations that should see her in jail for 10 years , I reckon Snakes rating would be see him very much in line for immortality status. Both 10 out 10 but if I was pressed, Snakes blinding speed and his ability to turn a half chance into an easy try , makes him my favorite from this era

I agree that Brett has been as influential as Jamie. Both have been all time Manly greats.

Jamie has never sided with the politics of the club so he'll always be fondly thought of (and rightly so).

Brett has been at the centre of the turmoil the last couple of years so people put that over his legacy, which is sad.

Talking about footy and what he has brought to the club makes Brett a Manly great in my eyes.

What I find VERY INTERESTING is these owners were bringing Brett into the loop regarding the change of coach and how it was to be handled as if Brett was one of the main players. Now they have turned on him and are trying to push him out. These owners were adamant they would've signed Glenn yet now they want to end Brett when he has a contract. Just goes to show you can't trust anyone. They are turning on one another!

Barrett was on triple M yesterday, still saying that he is expecting Matai to make a full recovery and talked about how much he thinks he'll contribute next year.

Interestingly, didn't say the same about Stewart.

Clearly Stewart hasn't decided yet, or they haven't come to terms, because after the Glenn Stewart exit there would be no way the club wouldn't send him out.

I am not sure how the seasons line up, but it could be marketed as a great lead into next season whether his first home game is his last for the club or a tribute trial match at brookie with big numbers.

Its obviously harder with Stewart as he clearly doesn't have the same attitude that Lyon has. Personally, since the Gallop and Glenn issues I think Stewart is trying to get whatever he can out of rugby league for him. Which has resulted in the last 18months tarnishing what will always be remembered as a brilliant career.

If and when they decide to announce their retirement of course Manly would organise exactly the same send off as they did for lyon. Both Matai and snake are club greats!

And both would be warranted medical retirement. Qbe might not pay them out but the NRL wont be able to put their salaries towarda the cap after what happened with Choc. There would be an uproar as both these players do have serious career ending injuries sustained playing for their only club.

@readingtheplay
Fall from grace. No hyped send off for B Stewart from Brookvale. As said mths ago, told to exit months ago he'll be at Catalans next yr #NRL

Mentioned later it will be announced once the season is over.

I usually take his mail as close to spot on, but I can't believe that all this is a formality and will be announced post season without a chance for a send off.

i say keep the snake next season
put him on the wing, even if hes disinterested and doesnt want to be there, it would still be a better option than the current crop of garbage weve played out wide this year
plus hes on contract, if he is going to be included in our cap for 2017 then use him

• 🤝
Reactions: doc
The club has a shiny new fullback who is setting the world on fire so you can be sure the club don't want him around.

if snake doesn't want to go then wait for the undermining and negative spin team to start doing their work. Tooves mark 2.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4