Stewart likely to be shown the door by Sea Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
LOYALTY may as well be wiped from the rugby league dictionary because the game refuses to reward or ­acknowledge its existence.

Each year the head body parades retiring, long-­service players as
Glenn+Stewart+Manly+Sea+Eagles+Training+Session+NSG2dHKUVONl1.jpg
part of grand final day at ANZ Stadium but that is ­little more than a token ­public ­relations exercise.

No club has suffered more from the game’s neglect of long-service players than Manly – a club few players want to leave.

Local junior Steve Menzies is a classic ­example.

Menzies went overseas after his greatest triumph versus the Melbourne Storm in 2008 and in his last year the club got $100,000 relief on the salary cap – for 15 ­consecutive seasons.

Stewart has offered to play for less money than he has been offered elsewhere, to ­remain with the only ­senior club he has known for 11 seasons.

It’s a black mark against the game that rules to promote and encourage loyalty have been so slow to move.

Relief falling short

SINCE Menzies left at the end of 2008 season the NRL ­has increased the relief for 10-consecutive-year players to $200,000.

That applies if a club has one or 13 ten-year players.

So Manly, the only club with four 10-year players (Jason King, Anthony Watmough, Brett Stewart and Glenn Stewart) get the same discount as the Sydney Roosters who have just one long-service player in ­Anthony Minichiello.

Brusing centre Steve Matai will join the 10-year club next season to continue the amazing ­tradition at Manly.

Brisbane (Sam Thaiday and Corey Parker) and Melbourne (Cameron Smith and Billy Slater) are the only other clubs in the NRL with more than one player who has completed the decade of service.

Cronulla (Paul Gallen), Warriors (Jerome Ropati), Newcastle (Kurt Gidley), Dragons (Ben Creagh) and the Roosters (Anthony ­Minichiello) are one-offs.

Salary Cap squeeze

There are currently eight clubs without a 10-year player.

The NRL has no ­immediate plans to give exemption for loyalty from the salary cap.

Ten years service for a player with a fair rub of the green when it comes to injuries will have the player at more than 150 games.

If a club can find its way to pay that player $300,000 to $500,000 a season then they should be allowed to, with no strings attached.

The NRL will lift the relief to $250,000 maximum in 2015 and $350,000 in 2016.

In my view it is too little, too late - it should have happened years ago.

Peter Peters
Manly Daily

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/stewart-likely-to-be-shown-the-door-by-sea-eagles/story-fngr8iii-1226881223825

LOYALTY may as well be wiped from the rugby league dictionary because the game refuses to reward or acknowledge its existence.

Each year the head body parades retiring, long-service players as part of grand final day at ANZ Stadium but that is little more than a token public relations exercise.

No club has suffered more from the game’s neglect of long-service players than Manly – a club few players want to leave.

Read More

Little late, Manly should have stayed on this after Beaver was forced out as they knew that this will unfold.

Shame on the NRL, they will continue to dilute the tribalism and end up with empty Stadiums and a TV production show :mad:

I don't like Peters much. He is pretty self serving.

But even I have to admit he is right on the money here.

I hope it's not too late.

How long did that muppet Gallop sit on this ?? Hopefully the current admin get on the front foot with this, and soon. Obviously we stand to benefit from it the most in the short term, but it's something all the clubs should be pushing for, and hard. Quality, long serving players are what the fans love most about supporting a team, well at least that's what engages me.

Yes he's right but it's only what many are saying , most clubs couldn't care as they are not affected , or if affected only in a minor way. The long serving payment should be for each player, you have four you get 4 x the amount .

After Manly has been dismantled and is at the bottom of the ladder the NRL and Greenburg will change the rules.

The NRL talks up club culture and guiltying fans into become members. In the meantime they sit by and watch a club culture get ripped apart and force players and fans to turn on each other all over how to divide cap money.

9 Sports just reported that Manly texted all the Players to attend a meeting today regarding Gifty.
Apparently the Players deemed it too short notice and didnt attend :huh:
So Manly texted that some will have to leave for Gifty to stay due to the Salary Cap limit.

Doesn't sound like the old guard will continue. I just hope that the Players are professional and play as such :cool:

Claytons offer is an offer that will be refused - GRose was made one last year, so he moved on.

Manly's hands are tied with the NRL rules and the longevity of their Players. They really have to push the TPA angle as its the only unrestricted avenue left.

Hmmm not sure about text messages being sent to players as reported by Channel 9. Does this seem rather unprofessional on Manly's behalf if indeed true?

I am quite furious about the whole situation actually, I just hope that our players are professional and understand the salary cap etc, I also hope our management is being professional and treating the players with respect.

I just don't want to see Manly torn apart.

The NRL is certainly not helping matters either. :mad:

Eagleheart said:
Hmmm not sure about text messages being sent to players as reported by Channel 9. Does this seem rather unprofessional on Manly's behalf if indeed true?

I am quite furious about the whole situation actually, I just hope that our players are professional and understand the salary cap etc, I also hope our management is being professional and treating the players with respect.

I just don't want to see Manly torn apart.

The NRL is certainly not helping matters either. :mad:
have we ever had a start to the year that doesnt have controversy and drama to go with it,how is a person suppose to enjoy watching their team play with all this crap happening,and it always seems to be about us,it makes you sick in the stomach

Claytons was a non-alcoholic drink back in the 80's. They used to market it as "The drink you have, when you're not having a drink". Therefore the term "Claytons offer" has come to mean, an offer you make when you can't or won't make a serious offer. i.e. if the player is on $600K and is expecting nothing less than say, $500-550K, they offer $250K.

I'm not saying this has happened but it would seem the club has other signing priorities, before Glenn.

To be fair to Manly, they had to extend Killer, Snake and Foz in just the last two years. All of them are 600+ easy :cool:

Earlier reports that Gifty's Manager wanted an offer this week, also forced Manly's hand. :(

TPAs where are you!!!!?

master blaster said:
have we ever had a start to the year that doesnt have controversy and drama to go with it,how is a person suppose to enjoy watching their team play with all this crap happening,and it always seems to be about us,it makes you sick in the stomach

Can't disagree with you, unfortunately very true.

HappilyManly said:
9 Sports just reported that Manly texted all the Players to attend a meeting today regarding Gifty.
Apparently the Players deemed it too short notice and didnt attend :huh:
So Manly texted that some will have to leave for Gifty to stay due to the Salary Cap limit.
Communicating by text re. this topic is very unprofessional and puts all players involved in a difficult position.
We cut this bloke or your heads are on the chopping board, by text? That's crap.
I really hope this is not true. The players need to be thinking about Sunday, not contracts.

Relax,it was the Players who wanted to be notified ASAP.
Thats why Im surprised thar they then pulled out due to short notice :s

Its not every Player that is lobbying for Gifty, just the 2005 group. BJ said on the Footy Show that contracts are personal and are of no consequence to him.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2