Stewart the new Bird?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eggson

Bencher
UNDERRATED second-rower Glenn Stewart has become Manly's fourth pivot in 2008 with Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler comparing him to Test five-eighth Greg Bird.

The older brother of NSW fullback Brett Stewart, Glenn last night played in a second receiver role as the Sea Eagles ground away to eventually crush North Queensland 38-6 at Bluetongue Stadium in Gosford.

He is the fourth five-eighth used by Hasler this season, behind centres Jamie Lyon and Steve Matai while Steve Menzies was listed at pivot last night but played a roving role.

A former five-eighth in his junior days at Wollongong, Hasler says Manly were looking to develop the 24-year-old's untapped playmaking potential - much like Test and Cronulla coach Ricky Stuart has done with Bird.

“He has got a lot of creativity Glenn and it's another part of his game which we are happy to see him developing and working with it,” Hasler told ABC radio.

“He is a fair ball player, not unlike Greg Bird is he.”

Stewart meanwhile says he just happy to be returning to form after admitting he struggled in the opening weeks of the NRL season with an ongoing ankle injury.

“I wasn't happy with my start of the year, real disappointed in how I started the year,” said Stewart.

“I was sort of carrying a bit of an injury with my ankle but I seem to be getting over that and getting back to where I was last year.”

Manly's seven tries to one win over the 15th placed Cowboys has catapulted them to second place on the NRL table, two points behind Gold Coast, courtesy of Origin-aided losses to Brisbane and Melbourne.

Both clubs were severely under-manned without their Origin stars as the Broncos suffered a 13-6 loss to Cronulla and the Storm fell 36-12 to St George Illawarra.

Stewart believes the Sea Eagles, who only lost brother Brett to rep duty, are starting to hit their 2007 form.

“Last year we came out on the front foot and went eight from eight but this year we've sort of started slow but seem to be hitting our straps now,” said Stewart.

“If we can maintain this and come home at the end that is the main thing.

“I suppose considering the quality players we have got we haven't been stricken too bad (by Origin duty). It's good for us, every game is important and every point counts towards where you get at the end of the year.”

AAP
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23717663-5012431,00.html

I also read this morning that Manly are one of two NRL clubs going for Chris Bailey...

This was already suggested in a different thread by a poster. Well done to him. Can't remember who it was. But, he knows his stuff I think.

glenn might be able to play 5/8 but he aint no thug like that C##T bird

Nutzcraw link said:
This was already suggested in a different thread by a poster. Well done to him. Can't remember who it was. But, he knows his stuff I think.

Wasnt that Nutz-somethin fella was it ?  ;)

If it ends up that Stewy2 is developed into our regular 5/8 then he needs to lose a couple of kilos and work on being a bit more nimble, I think.

For a nice change it wasn't me, jatz :)

I can't remember who it was... all I mentioned was I'd keep a closer eye on Stewarts ball playing and see if it has a credibility. As it turns out it does have credibility

Nutzcraw link said:
For a nice change it wasn't me, jatz :)

Smarten your game up son  ;)

Nutzcraw link said:
I can't remember who it was... all I mentioned was I'd keep a closer eye on Stewarts ball playing and see if it has a credibility. As it turns out it does have credibility

Like me, do you think he needs an off season & some agility to make it into that position ?

Hmmmm yeah. I think he would. I don't see him as a long term prospect but we can very possibly get away with it this year especially if Orford continues his form

I believe i suggested Glenn could play 5/8 ;)
and i was shot down pretty quickly too.

http://silvertails.net/silvertails-forums/index.php?topic=177158.msg180262#msg180262

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6