Storm in frame as King eyes exit

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/storm-in-frame-as-king-eyes-exit/2008/05/31/1211654373632.html
MATT KING is believed to be trying to break his multimillion-dollar deal with English Super League club Warrington to return to Australia.

The big winger stunned the NRL last season when he turned his back on premiers Melbourne, the NSW Origin side and Australian team to play in England on a four-year deal estimated to be worth $3 million. He joined former NRL players Adrian Morley, Michael Monaghan, Chris Hicks and Paul Rauhihi at the Wolves, but he's struggled to produce his best form.

A Sun-Herald source in the UK said that despite a public assurance from King that he's committed to Warrington, it's widely accepted he wants to return home - and Melbourne Storm are in the frame. "We're starting to hear his girlfriend isn't adjusting to the lifestyle here," the source said. "It's a concern because that is the kind of thing we've heard from other Aussies such as Trent Barrett and Danny Nutley ... Barrett's wife is homesick; Nutley's wife and kids had trouble adjusting to life here. It is a familiar tune."

In mid-May the 27-year-old admitted to the British media to being "embarrassed" by some of his early-season efforts. In comments that could concern the next batch of Australians to hit England, including the top-flight Danny Buderus (Leeds), Michael Crocker (Hull) and Brett Hodgson (Huddersfield), King said he had underestimated how challenging a move to Super League would be.

"There have been times when I've walked off the field with my head in my hands because I've played at a standard I'm very embarrassed with," he told the English media. "I think I thought I'd come over here and it would be like it has been for the last 4 years in Melbourne. I suppose I was comfortable. I knew what I had to do with the footy team, I knew what I had to do with the coaches to keep them happy and I knew what my obligations were with the club. But it's been a whole new way of life for me over here. Without sounding like a big girl, I didn't anticipate how tough the move was."

King rejected claims he was poised to break his contract, saying it would go against his nature. However, that was said before he suffered a bad head knock after a high tackle by Wigan's fullback Richie Mathers. King would be the subject of a massive bidding war if he did sever ties with Warrington. While it's believed there has been dialogue between Melbourne and King, other clubs would kill to sign a player of his calibre.

Castleford's football manager, Australian Michael Robinson - while not in a position to comment on King's situation - said even the promise of massive amounts of money did not make the transition to Super League easy. "England isn't all roses for everyone ... some blokes find it very hard not to have the sun on their back for 10 months a year," he said. "There is an argument that Kiwi players acclimatise a lot easier to Super League -the weather in Auckland is similar to here. In many cases it is easier for a young single player to handle the switch than a player who comes over with a partner. The player walks into a ready-made family of 40 blokes, his partner doesn't have it so easy."

I think when the accountant typed out Melbourne's salary cap he slipped on the keyboard and put an extra zero on the end. 

I assume King must be coming back on a basic wage of $75K per year if he goes to Melbourne - they couldn't afford Folau, Croker or Sam Tagasomething so I cannot see how they can afford King

Maybe Crocker is going to make space for King. It is little wonder that News is still losing millions on Melbourne. Despite the talk about closing Sydney teams down, Melbourne is still being propped up artificially.

Melbourne shouldn't be closed down CW.  Adelaide, Perth, Darwin and Port Morseby should be given a Sydney team each to make it a truly national game.    Leaving Manly, Wests/Tigers, St George, the Dogs and Penrith in Sydney.

Port Moresby Sea Eagles? :)

Give me a break, what NRL player is going to play for a PNG team?

Nice choice of Sydney Teams, how did you arrive at that? No "city" team ,Nothing between Balmain and Penriff? No Parramatta?

DSM5 link said:
Melbourne shouldn't be closed down CW.  Adelaide, Perth, Darwin and Port Morseby should be given a Sydney team each to make it a truly national game.    Leaving Manly, Wests/Tigers, St George, the Dogs and Penrith in Sydney.
Why should all those cities with no league culture be given a team unless their population can support them? Do you really think that the Roosters and the Eels should go in place of cities where 99? of the population doesn't even know what league is?  Who says league has to be a national game? It would end up like the Basketball and NBL. Costs for teams would rise significantly and the game would die here to a large extent in Sydney. I am the only Manly supporter that stopped going to games and following when the Northern Eagles replaced Manly?

If clubs die, fine!!!!  But no way should they be forced out for other teams.  Look at the Australian Rugby Championship and the money drain that turned out to be. It is tribalism that generates interest in our game and that cannot be artificially bought or replaced.

To suggest Parra should go is farcical (biggest junior league in Australia and geographically centre of Sydney). I can't see why the Dogs should stay - they could fold without a tear from me, as could the Sharks.

CW, Port Morseby for sure has a league culture.  I've been up there and it's scarily so.  The crowds that turned up to the Reds and the Rams games sure were larger than that of Souths and Cronulla.  I think the game can grow in alien territory CW.  Melbourne crowds are growing and, although it's slow, the game is making some inroads.  Make the 20s comp a State thing and you only have to transport one team around the place.  I also think South Africa should be targeted as an expansionary place.  But don't  worry, Gallop hasn't got the wit to think, let alone have a long term vision.         

CW you are NOT the only one who stopped following when that bastardised marriage took place.

DSM, yes moresby has a league Culture, they love it. but so does Moree and Cobar, and there would be just as many NRL players lining up to live there. Can you imagine Sonny Bill doing school visits to Rabaul?

I do think your Sth Africa idea is a good one, although the cost would be huge, but it may be worth a look.

CW the Dogs will stay because they are News Ltd Disciples.

Fro, he'd be the ultimate cargo cult figure, 'the white god'.  That'd probably suit his inflated ego.  Mason would love that stuff as well. 

My brother lives in Perth and 95% of the population doesn't even know what League is. The Force are growing over there with the expatriate base particularly from South Africa. However media coverage is nil and they now have 2 AFL teams. It took the Swans 20 years to establish themselves over here and I dispute the acceptance of the Storm in Melbourne. I went to a game down there and outside the small hard core group it is all AFL, except around GF time and that won't continue to happen indefinitely. The global vision (and even national one) is a pipe dream. Manly will not survive if the comp goes national - the News disciples will be the only ones who stay afloat.

CW, I think Souths, Cronulla and Penrith would love the crowd figures they get down in Melbourne now.  The Reds and the Rams got reasonable crowds when they existed.   

Free tickets were all the fare in the SuperLeague war - crowd figures were spin and they didn't have the infrastructure to last. Why did News drop them so quickly if they had the potential to be profitable.

ALL BOW BEFORE CW'S GREATNESS.

The ONLY manly supporter to not support the beagles.

Jousting sticks??

I found time just now and thought such a comment needed multiple replies.

Dont get time at work anymore.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9