Storm sprung in new tackle twist

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Storm sprung in new tackle twist

By David Riccio | July 06, 2008
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,23974602-5006066,00.html
0,,6130971,00.jpg

The incidents ... Jeff Lima's 'rolling pin' tackle. / The Sunday Telegraph

FIRST there was the grapple, the crusher, the ripper and the chicken wing. Now Melbourne Storm prop Jeff Lima has plunged the premiers back into the spotlight with his "rolling pin'' tackling technique coming under NRL investigation.                                        A serial offender with the controversial chicken wing and ripper tackles, Lima ensured more bad blood between Parramatta and Melbourne with his controversial tactic coming to a head in last Sunday's 24-22 defeat to the Eels.
Using all of his 104kg frame, Lima can clearly be seen rolling over and pinning his rivals with a knee pushed deep into their calf muscle.
On one occasion, Eels forward Nathan Hindmarsh is seen rising to play the ball, angrily pointing his finger at Lima.
Hindmarsh refused to get caught up in a slanging match with the Storm camp over the incident, but admitted he had been on the end of the "rolling pin'' tackle.
"I did feel the knee of a player in the back of my calf as I was getting back up out of a tackle,'' Hindmarsh said.

Despite Eels coach Michael Hagan preferring to leave the matter on the field, it's understood that Parramatta players and officials were angry at the ever-evolving wrestling techniques being used by the Storm players.
In the grand final qualifier last September, Lima was involved in a tackle that resulted in Eels captain Nathan Cayless having his pectoral muscle torn from the bone.
NRL match review commissioner Greg McCallum confirmed that  "a player'' had come under investigation on four accounts during the Storm-Eels match.
"We were of the view that a player was using his knee to pick himself off the ground by putting his knees on the legs of other opponents,'' McCallum said.
"I spoke to Robert Finch (referees boss) about it on Monday and sent him some examples.''
Melbourne Storm football manager Frank Ponissi played down the new form of slowing down the play-the-ball, claiming Lima had been spoken to about it.
"It was all handled really well and they've (NRL) asked us to have a word to Jeff. We've done so, and that was the end of the matter,'' Ponissi said.
"It was just the way he was holding down. I don't really want to go into the technical side of things, I'll leave that to the coaches.
"But they (NRL) said they haven't seen it before and asked to keep an eye on it.
"Anything serious gets put on the charge sheet, so if it was that serious we would've heard about it.
"It's been looked at, the player has been spoken with and dealt with and that's the end of the matter from our point of view.''
McCallum said the "rolling pin'' had come about because of the NRL's crackdown on contact with the upper body and the football.
"Previously it was about controlling the top part of the body and I think it's become obvious that they can't do that anymore,'' McCallum said.
"They're not doing it, so there's other ways of slowing down the play-the-ball and that's probably to pin your knees in the legs of the opposition.
"What this is all about is trying to pin the legs so they can't get up.
"We felt it was a good thing to mention it. The club were appreciative of that and I would imagine we won't see it again.''

Typical!
can't they win fairly without all these suspect tackles. I hope the NRL comes down heavy on Melbourne.

another tactic from that low **** bellyache

this **** should be booted from the game.

lets keep track of this
1)The Grapple
2)The Crusher
3)The Chicken Wing
4) The rolling pin

Whats next a revised Squirel grip or do they leave that for the training paddock i hear they are a "Close group" down there the scum

It's a worry.  It's fairly easy to injure someone when you've been taught to do so in a hard body contact sport.  Whatever happened to the front-on tackle?  If the sport continues to move this way then having two refs on the field must be considered, one to control the stuff that goes on in the ruck and one to control general play.  But don't wait for Gallop to move on Bellamy, or any other matter, as he's a dope with no presence.       

The NRL flat out don't care as long as the Storm are playing well.

The league NEEDS Melbourne to be succesful, whatever the cost.

i read today that Melbourne own 60% of the nrl and have incriminating or damaging photos of the members of the board....

****ing news ltd

Melbourne would be bust today except the five millions dollars of debt that is pumped in by News!!! They are a joke and a decent auditor would transfer them to the Sunshine Coast or Gosford!!!

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Did you miss Cam sMyth using the squirrel grip on Lyon during Origin last year cliffy
give u a tip kiwi

this Cam has never been called a Myth :p

unlike the Captain Grapple or is that the King of the Chicken Wing :p

Cliffy Gc link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=177804.msg189047#msg189047 date=1215333366]
Did you miss Cam sMyth using the squirrel grip on Lyon during Origin last year cliffy
give u a tip kiwi

[/quote]

Yeah, but you actually have to have a rep before you can become a myth fella  ;D

Kiwi Eagle link said:
[quote author=Cliffy Gc link=topic=177804.msg189067#msg189067 date=1215355020]
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=177804.msg189047#msg189047 date=1215333366]
give u a tip kiwi

[/quote]

Yeah, but you actually have to have a rep before you can become a myth fella  ;D
[/quote]
fark u
i can feel a cliffy / KE fued reigniting hahahah

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8