Storm to take NRL to Court

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Just heard on MMM hat the Storm are going to take the NRL to court over their punishment of this years points & the 2 premierships, Apparently a barrister has told them that they would win a case if it went to court

What troubles me so much is that pushing the salary cap, pushing for a player strike. These things could kill the game for good.

Where will the money come from then?

All a court win would prove is that you can get away with cheating. How would that be a good thing for the game?

Barristers etc lining their pockets, the game will lose out big time if this happens how many 1000s will leave the game

So, being so in debt, have they gone to one of those law firms where you only have to pay if they win the case for you? Also, they are a News Ltd owned team so what, they want to sue another News Ltd company or is this just another way of News Ltd trying to kill off Rugby League in Australia yet again?  If the Storm win the case and are awarded big dollars, where is the money going to come from to pay them? I'm sure that the parent company (News Ltd) isn't going to be paying for it so does that then mean that more salary cap restrictions would be put in place and therefore losing more elite players to overseas or to rival codes?

Comes from this morning's Rumour File when I was able to tell you that after speaking to some people in legal circles yesterday, it's come to my attention - Rumour As Fact I believe - that emminent Melbourne QC Allan Myers has advised the Melbourne Storm board that procedural fairness was not accorded to them when the NRL made its adjudications (in stripping two NRL premierships from the club and not allowing the team to win points this season).
Accordingly, the NRL acted outside its own rules and Allan Myers QC is going to draw a writ on behalf of the Melbourne Storm against the NRL which will be issued in the next 24 hours.    http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/3aw-gene...0513-uypd.html

If they sue the NRL, who are 50% owned by News ltd, will News Ltd still fork out 6mil a year to the scum if they lose the case?

If they Sue then news should cut them loose to survive on their own, that way they will be backrupt after 1 season and gone.

I think we would have a case to sue the storm for cheating and fraud and get our minor premiership monies off them.

With the Melbourne Storm being a News Ltd owned company, wouldn't they first have to get permission from News Ltd to sue the NRL in the first place?

Apparently news ltd is refusing to fund any of the storms legal action,so be very interested to see what happens there

I'd take everything that comes from The Storm and News Ltd with a grain of salt. Who knows what games they are playing, and what backroom dealings are afoot. This is just another example of the ridiculous conflict of interest that exists around News Ltd's continued involvement in the game at an administrative level. The sooner they are out the better.

If they take the NRL to court gallop should take their licence away and give it to the central coast bears.

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
yep, to play in the nrl don't you have to be invited ?

There is stringent criteria to obtain a licence in the NRL and surely a team who wants to take legal action against the NRL would be contraveining a criteria surely. 

Chip & Chase link said:
This is just another example of the ridiculous conflict of interest that exists around News Ltd's continued involvement in the game at an administrative level. The sooner they are out the better.

Agreed and especially with your last comment however, I'm still not totally convinced that the proposed independent commission with the NRL clubs running the whole thing is the way to go about it. How can it be independent when the clubs are involved in the administration of the game.  I feel that the grassroots of the game will miss out as the NRL clubs I feel would tend to try and line their own pockets first before nurturing the grassroots of the game.

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
yep, to play in the nrl don't you have to be invited ?

Umm, South Sydney Rabbitohs. Remember them? They were uninvited but got back in after they went to court so there is nothing to stop the Storm from doing the same thing to get back in if they were kicked out of the comp.

News Ltd are the owners and controllers of the Storm. What they direct, Storm management must follow - or be sacked.

Therefore effectively this would mean News Ltd is to take the NRL to Court.

So, if this is true, News Ltd DOES 100% support the use of the huge salary cap breaches by them to win premierships, current and past. And all their talk of Waldron being the chief rat is totally hot air and limp diversion.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7