Strength and conditioning

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Reserve Grader
Fellow Eagles,

I loved the win last night but am concerned about the sheer physical development of Storm, Eels and other teams. Both sides looked noticeably bigger across the park. Storm forwards, in particular, looked huge.

Manly seems to have barely changed in size over off-season, excluding new recruits.

Which Manly player is noticeably bigger after an off-season in the gym? Hasson still looks like a beanpole after two off-seasons. Jesse even looks a touch smaller to me, after bulking up last year.

I would never doubt Donny, but other teams seem to be bulking up much more than us, which partly explains why we have been steamrolled in forwards on occasion.

That said, I've noticed over the years we tend to get bigger as the season progresses: start lean, bulk up to taper for finals, and reduce risk of injuries (not working this year).

Hope I'm wrong, but I expected established players in side, especially younger forwards, would have bulked up more over summer, given where game is headed of big monsters dominating play. I though that would be a priority after last year's finals exit.

Maybe, just maybe, our lack of resources and facilities compared to richer clubs is starting to show.

Fellow Eagles,

I loved the win last night but am concerned about the sheer physical development of Storm, Eels and other teams. Both sides looked noticeably bigger across the park. Storm forwards, in particular, looked huge.

Manly seems to have barely changed in size over off-season, excluding new recruits.

Which Manly player is noticeably bigger after an off-season in the gym? Hasson still looks like a beanpole after two off-seasons. Jesse even looks a touch smaller to me, after bulking up last year.

I would never doubt Donny, but other teams seem to be bulking up much more than us, which partly explains why we have been steamrolled in forwards on occasion.

That said, I've noticed over the years we tend to get bigger as the season progresses: start lean, bulk up to taper for finals, and reduce risk of injuries (not working this year).

Hope I'm wrong, but I expected established players in side, especially younger forwards, would have bulked up more over summer, given where game is headed of big monsters dominating play. I though that would be a priority after last year's finals exit.

Maybe, just maybe, our lack of resources and facilities compared to richer clubs is starting to show.

Well they certainly have done something to Gifty this year, it's the best he's looked for years.

By the way welcome aboard !!

We look tiny compared to the Dogs, Storm and Roosters. Unfortunately when you tie up so much money in your halves you are going to have average forwards.
After we go shopping I assume we will see only 1or 2 of JSL, Lawrence, Symonds, Hasson, Horo.

we are not only physically small but unfit. Our defence around the ruck suffers as a consequence. The roosters and souths look big strong and fit. Definitely have a lot more resources but our strength and conditioning team don't seem to be as effective as other sides. Even parra now man handle and run over the top of Manly. We just can't compete physically for 80 mins

Well they certainly have done something to Gifty this year, it's the best he's looked for years.

By the way welcome aboard !!

He might have dropped some weight but he hasn't been very dangerous in attack, just tackling away. Reminds me of Willo this year. Only 45m today for a starting forward, he would be ripped apart on here if he was still at manly with that return

He might have dropped some weight but he hasn't been very dangerous in attack, just tackling away. Reminds me of Willo this year. Only 45m today for a starting forward, he would be ripped apart on here if he was still at manly with that return
Yeh I personally haven't rated his individual performances. I think its the cheerleader effect. He's getting wraps because he's part of souths and the media can't say a bad word about them

Yeh I personally haven't rated his individual performances. I think its the cheerleader effect. He's getting wraps because he's part of souths and the media can't say a bad word about them
He's not going too bad, taking some heat of the halves with directing play from first receiver. Souths play different to manly and rotate their fowards often. Even sam burgees got stinks on the side lines. Seems to be working for them, they ate a very fit side and play strongly for 80 mins. Their forwards dont seem to tire towards the back end of matches.

People here would never rip apart a Stewart on the Silvertails website with stats like that.(If you do you are not a true fan lol)

G.Stewart's leadership ball playing, long minutes and tackle counts+ball and all aggression tackles is what he offered, basically an overweight 5/8 on the right offering nothing in the go forward stakes meaning in essence we were down one forward in the areas that mattered.

G.Stewart has been playing overweight and off the pace of the game since 2009 he needed this new challenge to push him harder in the offseason.

At Manly his days were numbered with the lack of sharpness and decent preseason improvements due to injuries and lacking that extra desire for a big year, was comfortable his ball playing and leadership was enough to be selected on.

The core group adds many positives in the culture, loyalty and never say die efforts but also had a perception from the outside of ownership that can rub off the new generation in the wrong ways----it had to crack eventually be it good or bad for the future.

So we are small and unfit. Also old. Some say pea-hearted. How about lack of skill, poor coordination? Smelly? Anyone?
Small yes, unfit ...could play stronger for 80 and hopefully that comes with more matches, old no, lack of skill..no plenty of that, pea hearted...you have to be kidding

Let the boys develop some match fitness (best fitness there is!) and make some comparos later in the season. Hopefully we will be able to come home much harder later on the year compared to the early season monsters.

One thing I've noticed is teams like the donkeys exploiting the "head bin" rule to sneak a few extra interchanges in..

How many rounds is the season? You can not play at your peak for the full comp....I would suggest donny has it all planned out re fitness
As for size that should not come as a shock considering it was the same last year

Teams with few injuries to worry about and no internal strife, generally start the season well.

It's going to be a tough season but older squads tend to pace themselves. I'm confident they'll get better as the year goes on.

We coped ok before injuries in the last part of last season with this pack. It is true that we do need a bit more go forward from them and also sustain the intensity. The one concern that stands out for me is that in both games we have not scored a point or had much field position in the 2nd halves of games. Last night we got away from what was working and that was targeting the drizzle right side defence. Still its only round 2 and something they can improve on.

The lack of conditioning is disturbing. Even my wife who barely watches somehow knows that we need a 20 point half-time lead to win.

Donny has the stamina angle timed for the duration of the Season.
The boys may look unfit/small compared to the other Teams, but the extra weight in summer is not Donny's strategy.

If you ever want to witness an eclipse, have Mateo or Mase walk past - huge humans :giggle:

Mason was providing us with runs last night that I havn't seen for a couple of years, and in effect gave space to our back line

Mason was providing us with runs last night that I havn't seen for a couple of years, and in effect gave space to our back line

Absolutely agree. I haven't seen us have that sort of second phase play since Ben Kennedy or Cuthbo

We could put out Uiti Baker and Vave if we just wanted to match size, too bad they aren't pushing for first team spots.
I thought during pre season a few players looked more solid. Buhrer looked bigger, Starling and Lui as well.
Melbourne do look big. As I said before, many people are writing off the storm this season but I believe they'll be pushing for a top 4 spot.
We are slowly getting better in our second halves, I can only assume it's a plan by Donny and Tooves.
Maybe forcing our boys to tough it out and play fatigued in the second halves early on will harden them for the later season matches? I hope it's some plan like that, and we aren't just falling behind in our sports science department.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8