Sun Herald - Hasler in Running to Coach Australia

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
According to the Herald yesterday, Des Hasler is on the short list to coach Australia. Also pointed out that currently Big Mal is ineligible as he coaches the Toads and policy is that an Origin coach does not get the National job. Interesting?

I prefer him concentrate on going back to back with Manly but then again I prefer this gig than coaching the Origin side

I don't care so long as it isn't Sticky, Bennett, Brown, Roy Masters or any other sour faced bastard. Hell, give it to Des.

I agree with Wheel, concentrate on the Eagles back-to-back.  NRL coaching is a full time job.  Give the job to some hack, who cares.  I know, Steve Folkes.

Like everyone else, whilst he is the most deserving and obvious choice, we have to be selfish.

Concentre on B2B first Des.

Stuart Raper - Aussie coach.

Haha, I wouldn't let Stu Raper get near our Harold Matts squad, let alone the Aussie team.

I've often thought that the Australian coach doesn't need to be a technically proficient coach or anything, just a great motivator with a good support team. That is what Mal has done with QLD - he's not a great coach or even a good coach really, but the players want to play with him and he's got some excellent tactical minds (like Neil Henry) that do the rest of the work.

So find some Aussie hero that everyone loves who can instil passion into the jersey and just get someone like Stu Flanagan or John Cartwright or something to be a level below him organising gameplans and sh*t.

I'd love to see Igor firing up the troops!!

Poor bloke never got to play in an officially sanctioned Test match for Australia, but I'd just want to see him put the current boys through a tackling drill - and get involved. I reckon he'd iron out plenty of the current "stars".

Having seen Des many times, I just don't know how he communicates anything to anyone.  What he does obviously works, but he's certainly difficult to hear, let alone understand.  Willstyles, I'm amazed to read that the Iron Man never played for Australia.  Conspiracy for sure. 

you are all missing one point
Think of manly when Fulton was coach and the sharks and roosters when Ricky has been coach.

Being the Australian coach can help lure players to club.

Spud, Hill and Gilliespie would never have played for manly IMO if fulton wasnt the aussie coach.

DSM5 link said:
Having seen Des many times, I just don't know how he communicates anything to anyone.  What he does obviously works, but he's certainly difficult to hear, let alone understand.  Willstyles, I'm amazed to read that the Iron Man never played for Australia.  Conspiracy for sure. 

Des likes to mumble his way through certain conversations, but when he wants to get a point across, he gets his bloody point across. The players learned that after the loss to the Dragons at Brookie this year. He can be very clear when the situation requires it...

As for Igor, he only didn't play for Australia on a technicality. I remember speaking to him not too long ago about something to do with Australia or something and he mentioned that he'd never played any Tests, only matches for Australia. He toured with Australia in '73, but didn't play. Then he played 11 games for Australia in the '75 and '77 World Cups, but for whatever reason they weren't counted as "official Test matches" because they were played in World Cups. I think there was a move to change the way Tests were recorded recently, to include World Cup matches...but I can't remember if they changed it or not. Certainly didn't happen by the time I spoke to Terry....

Cliffy Gc link said:
Think of manly when Fulton was coach and the sharks and roosters when Ricky has been coach.

Spud, Hill and Gilliespie would never have played for manly IMO if fulton wasnt the aussie coach.

That's a fair point, and I can agree to an extent. But people want to play under Wayne Bennett even though he's not the current Aussie coach, and people want to play under Bellamy even though he's not the Aussie coach. There's more than just that to attract players to clubs. Being a part of a premiership winning squad and playing under one of the NRL's most respected coaches is a pretty tempting offer...and we haven't had trouble in securing some of the shrewdest signings over the past few years.

I maintain that I'd be happier if Des just stuck to Manly (unless he had his heart set on coaching Australia, which I guess is possible).

Cliffy Gc link said:

Different days  though Cliffy!

We need Sorry full time.

Give the job to Tommy or Johny Lang.

Fulton did nothing for the club when coaching the Australian side.  He had plenty of great players over his time at the club but came up short with the amount of premierships we should have won imo.  I put this down to him being either an ordinary coach surrounded by great players or being distracted from the club scene.  The attraction to Manly is not only the coach, it's the club ethos, the place and the fan base.  Not to many good players move on to other NRL clubs, they either retire or go to ESL.  Terry Hill told me that he was always a Manly fan and had always wanted to play for us.

DSM5 link said:
Terry Hill told me that he was always a Manly fan and had always wanted to play for us.

Tezza probably says the same thing to Souths fans that get in his ear

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4