Sunday 13/4/14 Gifty's gift

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Snake

Snake's Alive!
I think we should set up a fundraiser/petition for Glenn Stewart, and run them at each gate during the next home game against the Sharks. I am pretty certain that just about every single Manly fan at the game will at least sign the petition, and hopefully the really passionate supporters will chip in some money. If we get a crowd of 16,000 and every fan gave $2 we would have 32,000 bucks to help the situation.

I am guessing I will have to seek approval from the club to run such a fundraiser, but the question is, do I have the support of any fans on this forum? I will need more than myself to make it happen.

It's a small amount in the bigger picture, but will it will go a long way towards telling Glenn and the Club just how much the fans want him to stay!

Will this 'fund' be deemed as a third-party payment? If so, what are you expecting Gift to do to 'earn' the money?

I will e-mail the football club and see what they have to say about the whole thing.

I reckon I could get a couple of the players on board as well!

I appreciate the sentiment in the OP. It's passion like this that makes me love this club and it's supporters.

But let's look at this rationally.

Firstly, it's a salary cap issue, not a straight out cash issue, so you could raise $1,000,000 and it won't help. I don't think it could be considered a 3rd party agreement, as it's my understanding that a 3rd party deal cannot be reliant on a player playing for a certain club, which this obviously is.

Secondly, say it is a 16,000 gate. Pretty good attendance which you won't get in poor weather, but say it is. A portion will be Sharks supporters, say 2,000, so there's $4,000 you're not getting, because they couldn't give a ****.

Thirdly, is every Eagle supporter going to give $2...no. Are the mum and dad who have brought the three kids along going to fork over $10 when the day has probably already cost them $200+....no. So let's say 75% of the Manly supporters cough up (a generous estimate IMO, but let's look at best case scenario), that 10,500, so $21,000 raised. I guarantee if it's a matter $20,000 that's preventing getting the deal done, the parties involved will find a way. At the end of the day, Manly wants Glenn and Glenn wants Manly, so I'd be surprised if it was $20,000 that was the deal breaker.

I don't mean to rain on the parade and, as I said, I love the sentiment and passion, but I don't think this will get the deal done.

As Mosto said, this will not achieve the outcome. The cap is the cap and the fans paying him would definitely not be a "commercial" third party arrangement. We need to find a friendly corporate who is not a current sponsor who has the cash and will get something in return. My guess is that if our Corporate owners can't find such an organisation then it won't happen.

Certainly wouldn't hurt. But I do think the club want to retain Glenn, or at least are aware of the fans sentiment towards retaining him.

What we actually need to do is raise money for ABC Pty Ltd, a company completely unrelated to MWSE, who wants to engage Gift to be the face of their goods and services but doesn't have the $400k a year that such a role demands.

This of course has nothing at all to do with MWSE or Gift staying (as the club is forbidden from guaranteeing third party payments, which ensures the unquestionable integrity of the salary cap). However I have a feeling it could miraculously help.

MadMarcus said:
What we actually need to do is raise money for ABC Pty Ltd, a company completely unrelated to MWSE, who wants to engage Gift to be the face of their goods and services but doesn't have the $400k a year that such a role demands.

This of course has nothing at all to do with MWSE or Gift staying (as the club is forbidden from guaranteeing third party payments, which ensures the unquestionable integrity of the salary cap). However I have a feeling it could miraculously help.

This would work, but I suspect it would be difficult getting the average punter to donate to the ABC Pty Ltd fund.

Count me in for $100 though.

You could crowdfund / kickstart it. Just say you want to produce a movie of Glenn Stewarts life called "The Gift That Keeps On Giving" and you need $500,000.00 to "buy" the rights from Glen to produce the movie.

That should see Gifty out for another couple of seasons and by then interest in the movie may be have waned a bit if you know what I mean ;) .

At the end of the day it is up to the club, and it is more than a little ridiculous for us to be supplementing someone on many many 100s of thousands of dollars with our small change.

I asked the club 2 years ago about how we go about setting up a "thoroughbreds" type system and got absolutely no response.200 members/supporters @ $500...I know its pie in the sky but there maybe some out there willing and others wanting....may keep one

What we could do is approach a car dealership and offer to
(A) go ahead with the fundraiser and offer it to the company as our kickstart. $20k
(B) get every local mwse supporter To Agree To Have Their Car Serviced At His dealership/ Buy A Car When Needed $139 service X 2 K mwse Supporters X 3 times a year = $792k
(C) run $20k worth of advertising on this site as value add.
(D) Business tax write down for this sponsorship
(E) the above figures can be sustained over the life of his contract.Do a good job and you get 2000 loyal clients for life plus wom. ... priceless

The perfect third party may actually be Dan, as he has no official affiliation with MWSE. Dan may want to engage Glenn to be the face of Silvertails, spend some time online answering fan's questions, maybe a weekly wrap up etc. Fans would need to pay a membership fee to access these special features of course, to cover Dan's cost (the bulk of which would of course be Gift's fee). Maybe that April fools joke will cost you more than you thought @Dan, hehehehe... :)

Poola said:
What we could do is approach a car dealership and offer to
(A) go ahead with the fundraiser and offer it to the company as our kickstart. $20k
(B) get every local mwse supporter To Agree To Have Their Car Serviced At His dealership/ Buy A Car When Needed $139 service X 2 K mwse Supporters X 3 times a year = $792k
(C) run $20k worth of advertising on this site as value add.
(D) Business tax write down for this sponsorship
(E) the above figures can be sustained over the life of his contract.Do a good job and you get 2000 loyal clients for life plus wom. ... priceless

Beachwheels anyone? Already a sponsor

Some great ideas guys. Anything with the know-how to investigate if any of them can be set up?

I remember a couple of years ago thete was talk of us trying to raise money for Brett when it was uncertain as too whether he would get a decent offer to stay. But although many of us including myself pledged to chip in, nothing ever came of it.

Rodo said:
Some great ideas guys. Anything with the know-how to investigate if any of them can be set up?

I remember a couple of years ago thete was talk of us trying to raise money for Brett when it was uncertain as too whether he would get a decent offer to stay. But although many of us including myself pledged to chip in, nothing ever came of it.

speaking of pledge...what about one of those online pledge sites where we aim to reach a target? I understand that it's a cap issue, but maybe if we help kick start a third party payment, we can offload the funds that way?

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7