Sunshine Coast : Sea Eagles coach starts in new role

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

deadlyeagle

Reserve Grader
Sea Eagles coach starts in new role
12:00a.m. 28th October 2008
| Steve Zemek

http://www.thedaily.com.au/news/2008/oct/28/sea-eagles-coach-starts-new-role/

Newly appointed Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles director of coaching Dennis Moore yesterday kicked his feet under his Stockland Park desk for the first time.

Moore – who returns to the Coast after a five year stint as Manly coach Des Hasler’s right hand man – officially began his job with the Sunshine Coast side, saying he was energized by being in a position to help the build fledgling Queensland Cup team from the ground up.

He said the five-year plan implemented by the Sea Eagles mirrored that of the Manly side after they returned to the NRL in 2003 after a failed joint venture with the North Sydney Bears.

The former Maroochydore Swans coach said the Sunshine Coast “needs” a side in the NRL, and it was up to him and head coach Brandon Costin to prepare their squad for top-flight rugby league.

“We had a five-year play in Manly,” he said.

“We’re using that as a guide of sorts for what we can do up here.

“It’s just a matter of getting the first few years done and dusted so we can get the cultures and foundations and philosophies all in place. And then hopefully we can kick on. I think the coast needs a team.

“At least in the long term they do (need a team in the NRL). It’s a growth area.

“It’s just a matter of getting the ground work done now so in six or seven years we’re ready to go when the time comes.”

With the Sunshine Coast serving as Manly’s feeder team from next year, Moore said his role would be to act as an intermediary between the two sides.

He said while his roll was still slightly ambiguous, he predicted he’ll serve as a talent scout for the Silvertails and facilitate any Manly players who may be called in for the Sunshine Coast either as they return from injury or relegated because of poor form.

“There’s a big gap between (New South Wales) Premier League and the NRL and that’s why we came up here to play in the Queensland Cup, because the Queensland Cup is better than the Premier League down there,” he said.

“In saying that, there’s a big difference between the two.

“Of course you’ve got the full time players in the NRL that train every day and have fitness instructors at levels you just can’t get being part time.

“Once we identify the fellas who have taken the first step to Queensland Cup, then we can see if they can go to the levels above.”

He said plans were now under way to begin pre-season training for the Sea Eagles Queensland Cup and FOGS Cup sides.

With plans for a new stadium at the team’s home ground of Stockland Park currently bogged down in negotiations, he said the time was ripe for local talent with NRL ambitions to step up.

“I believe they’re having meetings and all that sort of stuff and (plans for a new stadium) are on-going,” he said.

“It’s all a matter of getting things signed off and put into place.

“There’s a roll on effect. Once the stadium gets OK’d, you’ll find there’s a flow on effect from that.

“So touch wood we can get something organised sooner rather than later.”

Good article though I am bemused that old Canberra player Brandon Costin (Pearson) is the head coach. Will be interesting to see how goes sending our non-NRL players each week up to QLD to play with another club. Vic Mauro and Bani etc might be doing a lot of flying.

Canteen Worker link said:
Good article though I am bemused that old Canberra player Brandon Costin (Pearson) is the head coach.
  Particularly given his record of drug use.

As usual there has been good local press coverage both on radio & local papers here of the SCSE and the progression of the proposed Stockland Park development.

Reports in today, are that Sunshine Coast tourism isnt down as a consequence of global financial meltdown, so hopefully that will bolster the councils outlook on committing to the stadium.

On a completely separate note, i see the usual level of professional journalism in the piece above :

"He said while his roll was still slightly ambiguous"

Fancy that !  An ambiguous salad roll ?

I do accept however that the "roll" contents may very well not be salad. It was purely a guess  ;D

As alluded to, I just don't know how this will work for the 18th, 19th, 20th men who will be alternating each week. Where do they live? Which team do they train with? It just all seems rather disruptive to me.

Duff link said:
As alluded to, I just don't know how this will work for the 18th, 19th, 20th men who will be alternating each week. Where do they live? Which team do they train with? It just all seems rather disruptive to me.
  I could handle alternate weeks at Manly and Caloundra very easily. 

There will be no "alternate weeks". If not selected in the NRL side they will be off to Queensland EVERY weekend to play in the Queensland Cup.

Duff link said:
It's a 1 hour flight mate, no drama whatsoever, they can live in Sydney and fly up whenever they need to, simple stuff. or do 50/50 in Sydney and Coloundra or wherever they are based.

I tell you if they get an NRL team on the Sunshine coast, they will have one of the most attractive places for players to go to

It is never a 1 hour flight. For me to fly on any  "1 hour flight" takes at least 4 hours from the time I leave home, get  to the airport, park, check in be at the airport 1 hour before departure, pray the flight is on time and then repeat the process later the same day.

1 hour flights are a myth.

Would have to agree with Pete. 

Even if they get a direct flight from Sydney to Maroochydore, there is still the hassle of getting to Sydney airport from the north side and then it's 30 minutes down a congested Nicklin Way (at the moment) to get to Caloundra.

But as someone who has always holidayed at Caloundra on an annual basis, it's certainly a "hardship" I could handle. 

Yeah I have flown up and back from Melbourne to Sydney maybe 20 times in the last 2 years.  It is supposed to be ninety minutes from getting on to getting off the plane but is never anything like that.  Especially if you go on a Friday it can take 90 minutes to get to Tullamarine, and up to an hour to get a cab at mascot. 

We often joke that we are in the plane for longer when it is on the ground than in the air. 

QLD cup players travel most weeks, its not just Brisbane any more.

And they are professional athletes, with team managers etc to make their arrangements for them, its not like they ring flight center on Friday morning to get a flight.

The issue will be as to whether they fly up on Thursday night to train and play with the Sunshine team. That has them away from home for four days if they fly back on Sunday. It may be harder for married/attached players to live a normal lifestyle although maybe that is not a concern.

I still can't understand why reserve grade was done away with.  Combine the NSW cup with the Qld cup and presto a decent second division comp. 

Fro, the thing is I'd like to see contracted Manly players playing in a local comp rather than one North of the border. 

The talk is that the QLD cup standard is much higher than that of the secondary comp in Sydney. It would also mean clubs not having to spend money keeping on a whole lot of players who would never play NRL.

However, as most clubs play about 30 plus players in first grade over a season, there are issues. Sitting around training and never playing is not an option and only having reserve players who are Under 20 is not common sense. The only other option seems to be the Jim Beam Cup and Belrose, though it is assumed that standard is lower again than NSW Cup.

It is a better comp, but if the comp was an eastern seaboard one with the eight best teams in both states playing in the one comp and prior to the NRL game then all the better for lifting standards across the park.  Playing through the week before 200 fans must be so debilitating.  My concern is the players who are over twenty but not regular first graders.  And really, the twenties comp was a bit of a touch footie thing much of the time.   

Canteen Worker link said:
The talk is that the QLD cup standard is much higher than that of the secondary comp in Sydney. It would also mean clubs not having to spend money keeping on a whole lot of players who would never play NRL.

However, as most clubs play about 30 plus players in first grade over a season, there are issues. Sitting around training and never playing is not an option and only having reserve players who are Under 20 is not common sense. The only other option seems to be the Jim Beam Cup and Belrose, though it is assumed that standard is lower again than NSW Cup.

Couldn't we do similar to what they do in EPL and lend our fringe players to Souths until they're required by us?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4