Super League book

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

simon64

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Hi all,

Was just wondering if anyone out there had a copy of the Mike Colman book on the Super League war and was interested in selling it.

I had a copy....the operative word being "had".

simon64 said:
Hi all,

Was just wondering if anyone out there had a copy of the Mike Colman book on the Super League war and was interested in selling it.

Secondhand bookshops and Libraries have it.
http://www.worldcat.org/title/super-league-the-inside-story/oclc/36006750?loc=

Enter Sydney as the Location and select 'Show libraries holding'

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/633703.Super_League

HappilyManly said:
simon64 said:
Hi all,

Secondhand bookshops and Libraries have it.
http://www.worldcat.org/title/super-league-the-inside-story/oclc/36006750?loc=

Enter Sydney as the Location and select 'Show libraries holding'

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/633703.Super_League
I have the book, I hit the above link and FMD, somebody in the States is trying to sell it for $2400, all I can say is, GOOD LUCK

Yeah I saw that too.

I won't be paying that.

Searched everywhere and thought I'd found a copy in Dubbo of all places but that fell through.

HappilyManly said:
Why not ask the author himself if he has a copy ?
https://twitter.com/MikeColman_

That sounds like a plan HM. I'll have to join twitter and get the kids to show me how to send a message. Must admit to not having entered the world of the hashtag as yet.

And Pontian, yeah the NE days were dark indeed but the mad scramble to sign players and the like was fascinating. Good that those days are behind us.

PONTIAN SEA EAGLE said:
I definately don't have it we were northern eagles & don't want to be reminded of it.

It's a great book. Came out in 1996 and had a lot of info that the likes of News (and SL sympathisers) tried to rewrite in later years.

I LOVE the fact that we were the Northern Eagles. To have been made to merge, to have lived through the toughest of years, the beatings we took on the field and the laughter and ridicule we received off it!! Then to come out of the merger and begin to flap our wings and lift ourselves back to the lofty heights where Eagles rightfully soar was and is amazing!

I wouldn't (and can't) change a thing. Those years proved our staunchness amongst the most loyal of supporters. I love to be reminded of how we struggled through that time. It makes it so much sweeter to then remind people where we are now. Manly were most definitely a part of the Northern Eagles, and so was I. Proudly.

I've had a copy for years. Pretty good read too.

Ah Super League. The Donkeys had won 2 straight premierships and were pissed because the NSWRL/ARL wouldn't move the Grand Final to ANZ Stadium in Brisbane. Led by John Ribot and Wayne Bennett (who the book claims came up with the idea of a rebel comp), they thought they were getting the raw end of the stick by the league because they weren't based in Sydney. Yep, they were hard done by ...they had a virtual monopoly in Qld with exclusive TV rights (even back then), more big dollar sponsors lining up to pour money into the club than any Sydney club could ever hope for and pretty much the whole state to recruit from before they even looked at NSW. IIRC they were also upset that their stranglehold in Brisbane was being threatened by the league wanting a second team there.

Basically SL was conceived for the Broncos by the Broncos. News Ltd just provided the financial muscle to do it.

HoldenV8 said:
I've had a copy for years. Pretty good read too.

Ah Super League. The Donkeys had won 2 straight premierships and were pissed because the NSWRL/ARL wouldn't move the Grand Final to ANZ Stadium in Brisbane. Led by John Ribot and Wayne Bennett (who the book claims came up with the idea of a rebel comp), they thought they were getting the raw end of the stick by the league because they weren't based in Sydney. Yep, they were hard done by ...they had a virtual monopoly in Qld with exclusive TV rights (even back then), more big dollar sponsors lining up to pour money into the club than any Sydney club could ever hope for and pretty much the whole state to recruit from before they even looked at NSW. IIRC they were also upset that their stranglehold in Brisbane was being threatened by the league wanting a second team there.

Basically SL was conceived for the Broncos by the Broncos. News Ltd just provided the financial muscle to do it.

Pretty much. Between the Cap and the Crushers, Brisbane started the ball rolling.

But Bennett had no plans or push for SL, only the same idea Arko and Quayle were already discussing about consolidating the number of clubs into the future. Chris Anderson was the coach that really ran with it.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4