Super League War 19 years on

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Las Vegas Blvd

Reserve Grader
They have been talking about reducing the number of teams in Sydney forever , kicked out Newtown , tried to kick out Wests and Souths - so whose next ?

I really think the roosters should be booted. I have been horribly disappointed with the way they have been playing. I had high expectations that they would underperform last year. They have let me down countless times and I'm sick of it.

I will never forget and never forgive. That's just me.

No surprise that Broncos and the scum are the two teams I despise most.

Las Vegas Blvd said:
Imagine if they tried to reduce the amount of AFL clubs in Melbourne - would be blood on the streets

The AFL (or VFL as it was then known) already did it in Melbourne, that's the model 'Super League' wanted to copy and still have plans to implement it. They are hoping it happens by natural attrition with a few Sydney clubs going broke. The VFL got rid of Footscray, Fitzroy and the Sydney Swans were once South Melbourne.

If Cronulla survive the next two seasons without folding their financial furture will be secure with the massive housing development their club has underway next to shark park. The west tigers need to get the DA approval for the old Balmain Leagues club site asap or they are going to be the first Sydney team gone.

1 Manly Sea Eagles ARL
2 Canberra SL
3 Brisbane SL
4 Cronulla SL
5 Newcastle ARL
6 Canterbury SL
7 St. George ARL
8 North Sydney ARL
9 Eastern Suburbs ARL
10 Auckland SL
11 Western Reds SL
12 Illawarra ARL
13 Western Suburbs ARL
14 Penrith SL
15 Balmain ARL
16 South Queensland Crushers ARL
17 Gold Coast Chargers ARL
18 South Sydney ARL
19 Parramatta ARL
20 North Queensland SL
21 Hunter Mariners SL
22 Adelaide Rams SL

The original 22 clubs before and during the Super League (SL) war.

After the SL war wash-up:

North Sydney ARL Gone
Western Suburbs ARL Gone
South Qld Crushers ARL Gone
Gold Coast Chargers ARL Gone
Illawarra ARL Gone
Balmain Tigers ARL Gone
Western Reds SL Gone
Adelaide Rams SL Gone

Manly ARL
Newcastle ARL
St George ARL
Easts ARL
South Sydney ARL
Parramatta ARL
Canberra SL
Brisbane SL
Cronulla SL
Bulldogs SL
Auckland SL
Penrith SL
North Qld SL

Tell me again who won the war?

SL lost the Reds & Adelaide Rams

ARL lost Norths, South Qld, Gold Coast.

Illawarra and STG merged

West and Balmain merged

Souths were kicked out and had to fight to get back in.

19 years on and who actually won? :(

Maybe the lawyers and players with increased salaries. And most definitely pay TV.

I had forgotten that the 'Riff had slinked off to SL . . .
Gus better re-write that part of Penriff's 'glorious' history. It would surely tarnish their claims to be the "premier BRAND in all Australian sport" . . .

Super League could never have happened if everyone was happy and the game was going gangbusters. The existing TV deal was low and a number of clubs were struggling. The game's true value was suddenly exposed when Packer and Optus decided to throw in mega-millions to counter the mega-millions being spent by News.

The threat to traditional Sydney clubs existed long before Super League and still exists today.

I realise the game thrives on heroes and villains, but even so the hostility to News amuses me at times. News is merely another company that will exploit anything it can to further its own interests. It isn't fundamentally different from other corporations in that respect, except that some companies like to wear sheep's clothing.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Super League could never have happened if everyone was happy and the game was going gangbusters. The existing TV deal was low and a number of clubs were struggling. The game's true value was suddenly exposed when Packer and Optus decided to throw in mega-millions to counter the mega-millions being spent by News.

The threat to traditional Sydney clubs existed long before Super League and still exists today.

I realise the game thrives on heroes and villains, but even so the hostility to News amuses me at times. News is merely another company that will exploit anything it can to further its own interests. It isn't fundamentally different from other corporations in that respect, except that some companies like to wear sheep's clothing.

News Ltd "stole" the game. Do you forget the overnight blitz to sign as many ARL players to SL contracts?

silvertail said:
News Ltd "stole" the game. Do you forget the overnight blitz to sign as many ARL players to SL contracts?
Yes the blitz, the poor dears were tricked into signing to accept more than twice the money they were currently paid.

But they didn't really "steal" the game did they? At least the Federal Court judged they hadn't really stolen anything. (It was in fact the Commitment and Loyalty agreements the league had made the clubs sign that were ruled to be illegal.)

It was a sly manoeuvre in a big money game played out by corporate giants. There were a lot of pawns in the game.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
silvertail said:

It was a sly manoeuvre in a big money game played out by corporate giants. There were a lot of pawns in the game.

Indeed

SeaEagleRock8 said:
silvertail said:

Indeed

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4